Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the blind spot warning in the Touring Elite? If so, any thoughts re: how well it works?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We took delivery of our Elite 2 weeks ago. My wife (the primary driver) loves it! It does work VERY well. We hadn't read the part in the manual about it blinking faster when you turn your signal on. One day my wife was driving and a vehicle was in her blind spot. When she put on her signal to get over, the system detected the adjacent vehicle and flashed the indicator quickly to draw extra attention. A great safety feature and not as intrusive as I thought it might be. You can turn it off (similar to the parking sensors).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the sensor works good. It blinks when a vehicle is on that side of the blind spot.

I really don't rely on it as much as I do on the parking sensors.

My wife's escalade works better as it's in the mirrors vs. on the inside of the car door.

I guess it's a nice little feature.

One if the main reasons I got the elite was the hid's and the wider dual tv screens...(for the kids)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I really enjoy them. Its a welcome feature of the elite. Like said above we got the elite for the hid headlamps, the blind spot sensors were just 'bonus' but now that I have them I really like them. With less than optimal light and the sun shades pulled up it's a bit difficult at times to see the lane next to the van. Also I find it hard to see between the 2nd row seat and the c-Pillard.
Anyways, I like that feature a lot! The auto headlights is utterly useless to me, but the blind spot sensors work great! They Work fine on motorcycles too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
wonder how hard (or even possible) it would be to add this feature to other 2011 trim models?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Houndsight said:
Does anyone have experience with the blind spot warning in the Touring Elite? If so, any thoughts re: how well it works?
It's still not a substitute for proper driving technique's, just an aid at best. You still have to look and be aware of your surroundings on the road at all times.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anybody has problem with blind spot monitoring?

When the van is parked too close to something in the garage, the blind spot monitor will malfunction on that side when I re-start the van up the next time. The malfunction does not go away with driving it. Anybody has a similar problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When the van is parked too close to something in the garage, the blind spot monitor will malfunction on that side when I re-start the van up the next time. The malfunction does not go away with driving it. Anybody has a similar problem?
Can you describe a little more? How close is close and what is it? Car, boxes, fridge, metal/non metal, etc. I want to try and duplicate. I started to trust this thing a little more then day 1, it saved my butt once against a tiny smart car on the right side.

Also, what kind of malfunction. ie, does not work on that side, both sides, shortened range, delay, warning light, etc.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just a clarification, the alert light only flashes if you use your turn signal before you move over, otherwise it will just stay lit when there is a car in your blind spot. But will say that the most people don't adjust their rear view mirrors correctly, I've seen friends with the passenger side mirror showing half their car!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thanks.
I think Honda fix this on the 2012, my BSW lights does not light up when your car is not moving. For example, when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic at a stand still and I'm trying to move over to the next lane the BSW light does not work even when there are cars flying by. Once your car move it start working.

Just a clarification, the alert light only flashes if you use your turn signal before you move over, otherwise it will just stay lit when there is a car in your blind spot. QUOTE]

I just noticed this feature last week. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's still not a substitute for proper driving technique's, just an aid at best. You still have to look and be aware of your surroundings on the road at all times.
Absolutely true but IMO, doesn't diminish how effective and useful this technology is. As I posted in another thread, we specifically did not order the BSW system on our special ordered Audi A6 wagon and now because we thought it was silly and we already use solid driving techniques but after having it on our van I'm not sure I'll pass this option up on any future vehicles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
BSW system are great but IMO Honda put it in the wrong location, i think it should be in the mirrors.
I like where Honda put it. The symbol is big and bold and since it's in the van, it's hard to miss. Where it's on the mirror outside the vehicle, sometimes it can be hard to see if it's too sunny or raining or if your windows are foggy.

Honda is adding full time rear view cameras (screen in rear view mirror) on their 2013 models, so this should work well with the blind spot warning system.

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I don't understand, is why this is not standard on EVERY new vehicle? It seems criminal in my mind, to have the low cost and readily available technology to make a vehicle safer, but only offer it on the most expensive trim levels. Safety should never be considered a luxury.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honda is adding full time rear view cameras (screen in rear view mirror) on their 2013 models, so this should work well with the blind spot warning system.
It's going to be a video game from the driver's seat. Long beeps, short beeps, screens, flashing lights, switches.... I don't mind it. Can get used to it. But how about when you add srcreaming/crying AND 7 more passengers talking. I hope they develop a ANC to drown some of that out like they do for the ECO mode engine. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
On mine, the driver's side one seems to work better than the one on the passenger side. Which is fine because I look over my shoulders anyways and I can see better out the passenger windows than I can the driver side windows (particularly since I keep all the sunshades up).

I do wish the indicators were in the side mirrors somehow. I check my side mirrors all the time and it takes me a second to refocus to the blind spot indicators from the side mirrors. When there's decent traffic, that time it takes to refocus is actually a long time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can you describe a little more? How close is close and what is it? Car, boxes, fridge, metal/non metal, etc. I want to try and duplicate. I started to trust this thing a little more then day 1, it saved my butt once against a tiny smart car on the right side.

Also, what kind of malfunction. ie, does not work on that side, both sides, shortened range, delay, warning light, etc.
The malfunction manifests as a warning light and message on the dash.

This happens after the car is parked close to the shelves that I have in the garage. Mixture of metal and non-metal. I would say the van has to be less than 2 feet from the shelves. After turning the car back on, the warning light and message comes on and stays on. I never paid attention to see if the system still works when this happens. My wife is the primary driver. Will check it out and report back next time when it happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^^ I'll give it a try but 2feet IS kinda close. I'll try it with a large cookie sheet and test or park real close and drive the length of a friends box trailer. I wasn't able to find much info if the system does a calibration on power-up but I do know that the pilar lights only work after you get to a certain speed and something is there. Towing a trailer and making a turn will make the lights come on even just pulling out of the driveway at very low speed. I should have looked at the label on the radar box when I pulled the rear bumper off to get the FCC ID number so I could look up the operating specs. Maybe if anyone does this and could post the number/photo, that would be great.

·
Registered
128 Posts
^^ I'll give it a try but 2feet IS kinda close. I'll try it with a large cookie sheet and test or park real close and drive the length of a friends box trailer. I wasn't able to find much info if the system does a calibration on power-up but I do know that the pilar lights only work after you get to a certain speed and something is there. Towing a trailer and making a turn will make the lights come on even just pulling out of the driveway at very low speed. I should have looked at the label on the radar box when I pulled the rear bumper off to get the FCC ID number so I could look up the operating specs. Maybe if anyone does this and could post the number/photo, that would be great.
This must be it. It would explain my problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts