Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I want to replace the shocks on our '95 Ody and I'd like to do it myself but spring compressors make me pretty nervous. Has anyone out there done this on one of our vans? Any idea how much the stock springs are compressed? (ie how much energy it stored in these when you get them compressed enough to uninstall/reinstall the shock/strut?)

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts
uninstall spring: compress it as much as need to take off the top mount. i usually dont use a spring compressor to take of the stock spring from the strut. i usually get 2 tires put the bottom end on one side of the tire (tires layiing flat) and the top mount on the other and screw the top mount of and have the tires stop the strut and hardware from shooting everywhere

reinstall: conpress it enough to put the top hat on to bolt on then slowly losen the spring compressor. done

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea how much of the total length of the spring is compressed when you do this?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Save yourself the trouble. Take the struts out and to a shop with the proper equipment to do the job. Click and Clack had a session on their talk show a couple of weeks ago about how many portable compressers they have seen broken and parts flying across the shop. They suggest only use one that is bolted to a solid structure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've diasaembled the spring/shock units on my Miata many times using a cheap compressor from Harbor Freight and have had no trouble.

But don't put your face in front of the loaded gun.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone for free. Of course it's the basic hand-manual type, nothing fancy, but it does the job and is free. Did I mention it was free?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I rented one too for free and I made sure it was pointing away from me. Just make sure you line the top hat correctly when putting it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts