Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the situation and I'm looking for some advice.

I bought a new Odyssey in Aug of 2006 with an extended warranty (not HondaCare) that the dealership was selling. About a month after I bought the car, I received a letter from the warranty company saying that they denied my application since the dealership used the wrong form. I contacted the dealership and this time we filled out the correct paperwork.

Fast forward to today.

I was having trouble finding my warranty contract so I called the warranty company. They informed me that I did not have a contract with them. They still had on file the original application and the letter of denial. A call to the dealership revealed that they had no record of the proper paperwork ever being filed and no refund issued to me for the purchase price of the warranty.

So what is a fair resolution?

1) refund of purchase price of the warranty + interest since it was rolled into my loan.

2) re-instatement of the original extended warranty (if the warranty company is even willing to do it)

3) dealership pays for an inspection of the vehicle, then a new extended warranty is granted from the date of inspection (assuming van passes inspection)

4)???? any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
14,966 Posts
I suppose the folks that had you redo the paperwork misplaced it and forgot about it. Sounds like an honest mistake.

All the dealership owes you is the reinstatement of the warranty for the exact same terms. How they accomplish that is upto them but if you got a 7 year 100K warranty, you need to get that one way or the other.

They won't go for the refund with interest as that would be a loss to them. They should be able to redo the paperwork backdated as if you did it day 1 and that should be it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would say 1 and 2 are reasonable requests. Yes, they woud lose money on 1, but it was their mistake, honest or not. BTW, mistakes are always honest, otherwise it's fraud... ;) :D

Nicolas

·
Registered
11 Posts
As long as you have proof in writing, (it should be itemized on your Bill of Sale) that you paid for something and did not receive it, the dealer has to make good on the contract. Mistakes happen, show them what you paid for and let them fix it. Unless the warranty company lost the papers, they do not have to agree to anything. Even then, it the dealer's issue to take up with them - not you.

A fair resolution is that you get what you paid for. If that is not possible then you get a refund plus interest. This is subject to local laws.

Good luck and don't stress out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.