Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to decide on an extended warranty. Did not buy one from the dealer when we purchased? Have been calling around and have received several quotes for warranty?
Is it better to buy an extended warranty, and if yes, has anyone bought one from someone else other than dealer?

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Did you check the dedicated warranty forum out?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I bought from Hyannis Honda online/over the phone and it was not too expensive. No reason you have to buy at your local dealer.

Reason I chose to buy was due to power doors and tailgate and even more so, the DVD system. The list price on the DVD system for a replacement part is like $2,000....completely ridiculous.....but its covered. I got the 7yr, lowest mileage option to save money since 7 yrs will undoubtedly pass before I hit 80K miles (I don't put excessive mileage on it).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We bought a new 2004 Civic Si and a 2006 Odyssey EXL-RES and didn't buy the extended warranty on either vehicle. No problems or repairs on either vehicle yet.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
As you can tell, the place to read up is in the Warranty section of the forums.

but... the thing to pick up from the discussions are that you can purchase the extended warranty from Honda at any dealer, even on line. Even after you drive out of the dealer, there is a "grace" period then you have to pay a surcharge up to the end of your original warranty period. (the surcharge gets higher as time goes by)

The decision is based on how you think the vehicle will perform and how complex the systems are in the vehicle. I purchased the 7yr/100k miles plan for our 05 and I think it was worth it. Paid a about 1k for it, the dealer matched the deals I found on line. Have since used it to cover replacement of the engine mounts, both sliding door rollers and some small things after the original 36k miles.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It is like insurance - no one can tell if you will need it or not. It will give you some peace of mind if you can afford it.

If you do buy, only buy Hondacare (not 3rd party) and shop the dealers on the site for best price. Don't pay whatever your dealer was asking (in my case over $1K more than Hayannis Honda).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts