Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was wondering how you folks feel about the extended protection plan? We receive our van this week and have yet to decide on this topic. Thanks, BEP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Are you getting a 2001??? 2002???

Get a Honda Care Warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Regardless of what year you are getting, get a Honda Care warranty. Just don't pay "sticker" for it. Around $600-800, depending upon how much you want to haggle. Don't spend the $1,500+ they quote you at the dealer. All those nifty gadgets that make life in an Ody grand are potential problems down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
Regardless of what year you are getting, get a Honda Care warranty. Just don't pay "sticker" for it. Around $600-800, depending upon how much you want to haggle. Don't spend the $1,500+ they quote you at the dealer. All those nifty gadgets that make life in an Ody grand are potential problems down the road.</font>
Thanks for the quick reply and the price quotes! It's a 01.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Don't get it now. You have 3 years/36,000 miles time to decide you need it or not.
I didn't get one.
One friend has a 99 EX, even she has her power door fixed 3 times. When I asked her "Do I need to buy extended warranty for my new 01 EX?". She told me "NO".



------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 Arrived
Lojack

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 08-30-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
My understanding of the extended warranties is that the prices vary with the age of the car. The price of $975 (IIRC) for the 7/100k/0 is based on purchasing the warranty within the first 12 months/12k miles. I don't know what the price is after that. If you decide to wait the entire 3yrs/36k before purchasing, then you probably will be expecting to pay more for the same warranty. Just something else to consider when making your decision.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
My understanding of the extended warranties is that the prices vary with the age of the car. The price of $975 (IIRC) for the 7/100k/0 is based on purchasing the warranty within the first 12 months/12k miles. I don't know what the price is after that. If you decide to wait the entire 3yrs/36k before purchasing, then you probably will be expecting to pay more for the same warranty. Just something else to consider when making your decision.
</font>
How long can you wait before buying the extended warranty?

All else being equal, I'd personally wait until the original warranty was nearly out before making the purchase, but if the price for the warranty goes up... Hmm...

My feeling is its only necessary if you've had some troubles during the first year or two and you want "insurance" against those troubles in the future. What does the warranty cover (or not cover)? What is the time limit you have before buying the extended? And does anyone have a table of price increases for the extended warranty if you wait to buy it later?

Best wishes,
- RW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
How long can you wait before buying the extended warranty?

All else being equal, I'd personally wait until the original warranty was nearly out before making the purchase, but if the price for the warranty goes up... Hmm...

My feeling is its only necessary if you've had some troubles during the first year or two and you want "insurance" against those troubles in the future. What does the warranty cover (or not cover)? What is the time limit you have before buying the extended? And does anyone have a table of price increases for the extended warranty if you wait to buy it later?

Best wishes,
- RW
</font>
RW:

You have to purchase before 36 months or 36K miles. I heard you have to pay some penalty (10% maybe) if you purchase beyond 24 months/24k miles.
You have to shop around for the price any Honda Dealer in US can sell you one. Check out Honda website there are some limited information about it. Some people posted 7yrs/100k around 900 bucks. Keep in mind if you take away the basic 3yr 36,000 miles warranty, 7 yrs/100,000 miles actually is only 4yr/64,000 miles.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all,
I did get the 7/100k/0. I paid 800 (had to negotiate that)plus a one time fee of 50 for the zero deductible. I know it's a Honda but for seven years, 100k it's nice to leave knowing you won't have to pay for a while. The sales person said that at 800 it was "only 25 dollars over the [dealer]cost". That may be true I have no idea, just wanted to help anyone who may be getting ready to negotitate. BEP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Thanks BEP!

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BEP:
Hello all,
I did get the 7/100k/0. I paid 800 (had to negotiate that)plus a one time fee of 50 for the zero deductible. I know it's a Honda but for seven years, 100k it's nice to leave knowing you won't have to pay for a while. The sales person said that at 800 it was "only 25 dollars over the [dealer]cost". That may be true I have no idea, just wanted to help anyone who may be getting ready to negotitate. BEP
</font>
That's interesting! My dealer told me that his cost was $825 when I took delivery last June. Makes me wonder if I was being lied to a bit.

Hmmmmm....

Drive Safe,
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
I also got the warranty. I paid $805 at the time I bought the van. I like the idea of not having to worry about things for seven years. If you don't buy one and anything breaks on the van after the factory warranty, you will probably pay more then the warranty costs.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
The Alton Blakley price for 7yr/100K/$0 is $875. Call 'em at (800) 264-3275 and ask for Tracy.

Mel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
The Alton Blakley price for 7yr/100K/$0 is $875. Call 'em at (800) 264-3275 and ask for Tracy.

Mel
</font>
Is this for 2002 pricing? I e-mailed them a couple weeks ago & Tracy said she didn't have the 2002 pricing yet.

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the Tracy update. I was wondering why she didn't return my email.

- Darell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
DMICPA,
What dealer did you get the $805 price for the extended warranty from? If you have a contact number, I would appreciate that, as I am starting to shop for one.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Put me on your notification list too please! You'd give your sales person a lot of business at that price!

Thanks,
Darell
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top