Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10/6Odyssey
Extended warranties do not run concurrently. So there is no two coverage. Extended warranty usually kicks in after the mfrs. warranty expires.

nsommers
You can get HondaCare warranty 7/100K/0 for about $875 or so.

I have had 3rd part warranty before, and they paid for all warranty services[they were minor] without any hassles whatsoever however, I did end up paying a cost differential on one of the warranty repairs.

Just note that there are a few differences between Mfrs. warranty and 3rd Party Warranty:

3rd Party Warranties are administered by someone else. You are at the mercy of the administrator to determine what is covered and what is not. Additionally, what they do not tell you is what is the labor rate they would pay for warranty services and you may end up paying the difference. WG [WarrantyGold] told me that they have a limit on the hourly rate, but they would adjust it every year. It may vary region by region. However, when I checked with the hourly rates of all the dealers around me, the dealers charged significantly higher. They may, however, have contracted rates with some service facilities and you may have to go to these places for reducing your out of the pocket expenses. [FYI, its the labor which is the most expensive part of a fix - not the part]. For your sake, I would ask them the labor rates they pay and check with local dealers.
Manufacturers warranties do not suffer from this syndrome and allow you to use the dealer facilities and the repairs usually include genuine Manufacturer parts [sometimes using rebuilt parts]

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks starlight, but can you buy the 7,/1000/0 at 35,000 or before and let the original mfr's warranty cover the first 35 What's the benefit of having bought the Honda-care for the first 3 years? Or, is that the 7/1000 for 875 you speak of?

------------------

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by starlight:
Extended warranties do not run concurrently. So there is no two coverage. Extended warranty usually kicks in after the mfrs. warranty expires.
</font>
Not entirely true. The Honda Extended Warranty gives you a few extras that the standard warranty doesn't. Like road service, trip planning, limited car rental, and trip interruption benefits. The trip planning service is not as quick as going to your AAA, but if you plan ahead a little you can save the cost of the AAA membership.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my_2001ody
Thanks for correcting me. In a rare case, items not covered by manufacturers warranty is sometimes covered by 3rd party warranty. Case in point is the clock for Toyota, not covered by Toyota Motor Corp, but covered by WG.
10/6Odyssey
As far as buying a warranty after 35K miles, you need to pay more and you miss out the "perks" as pointed out by my_2001ody. Also, note that insurance premiums are based on the previous years' payout {Extended Warranty is an insurance ..] and therefore, the amount may increase. Lastly, you can finance Extended Warranty when you buy the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts