Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Ody that was bought in Oct and ever since day 1, I notices the external temperature display always show a higher temp upon starting the car, usually by 5-7 F. It will take 10-20 min of driving before it drops to the "real" temperature level. The situation will be worse on a sunny day. If I park the car under exposure of direct sunlight, the temp difference can be as much as 10 F. I am wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The temperature is behind the bumper usually. It measures the temp of it's surrounding environment which is mostly metal. It isn't going to read the air temp until it gets a lot of air flowing over it. If the sun is shining on the hood it is going to be hot just like the inside of the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought my 2012 Odyssey EX-L on Thursday. We just traveled a 300 mile round trip and noticed the temperature display was always 7 - 10 degree's warmer no matter how long we traveled. It was an overcast day.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
As per the original post, yes, it takes some time to stabilize as explained above:

The temperature sensor is in the front bumper.
Road heat and exhaust from another vehicle can
affect the temperature reading when your vehicle
speed is less than 19 mph (30 km/h).
It may take several minutes for the display to be
updated after the temperature reading has stabilized.

Just bought my 2012 Odyssey EX-L on Thursday. We just traveled a 300 mile round trip and noticed the temperature display was always 7 - 10 degree's warmer no matter how long we traveled. It was an overcast day.
That can be adjusted to get it closer to the actual temperature (up to +/-5 F):

Page 80, 2011 Owners Manual

To adjust the outside temperature
display, press and hold the select/
reset knob for 10 seconds.

NOTE: The temperature must be
stabilized before doing this
procedure.

Select the outside temperature
display by pressing and releasing the
select/reset knob. Press and hold
the same knob for a few seconds to
enter this setting, then turn it to
adjust the temperature. The
following sequence will appear for
each: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2,
1, 0 (U.S.) or 0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2,
1, 0 (Canada).

When the temperature reaches the
desired value, release the select/
reset knob. You should see the new
outside temperature displayed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi bigboat,
The info you posted is very useful. Just a quick question, do I adjust the temp right after I start the car or wait till the temp drops to the desired reading?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts