Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Extra keys are expensive!

13K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  AL940 
#1 ·
The immobilizer system Honda uses requires a Honda key to start the car. No longer can you just go to the hardware store and have a key made. It'd open the door just fine, but without the transponder it wouldn't start the car.

I'm sort of a fanatic about having extra keys spread around, just in case. It turns out that at my dealership, if you buy extra keys within 30 days of purchasing the car, the extra keys costs $10 (soon to be $12) each. !!!!

BUT if you wait until more than 30 days goes by, the keys cost $25 each!!!

Twenty-five bucks for a single key.

At $10 each, I bought three extras right away.

#2 ·
My dealer was charging $25 for a new key.

According to a locksmith I know, it isn't the key that is so expensive. It's the cost of the programming unit and the minimum buy of keys.

As a locksmith, he has to buy individual programming units for Honda, Ford, GM, BMW, MB, etc. Each is at a cost of generally over $1000. He then has to buy chipped key blanks in minimum quantities. Hence, the overhead is tremendous and the locksmith needs to justify spending the money to sell a few keys per year.

#3 ·
Yeah, but the Honda dealer is selling only Honda key blanks and uses only one encoder--for ALL their models.

I guess $25 is the going rate.

Man, whatever happened to the world?

At least it's not an Infiniti. My brother's "laser cut" funky looking key costs $150.

#4 ·
Don't you guys get 3 keys? 1 valet key is good enough for me. $25 from Honda dealer is not too bad. Ebay auction for uncut key is over $25 bucks.

What do you guys think about the keyless remote? I want to get extra one to go with my valet key, but it's more expensive than key.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

#5 ·
adam1991 - yes I know that the Honda dealer only has to carry one machine. But how many cut keys do you think they sell? At $25 each, the dealer has to sell 40 keys to recoup the cost of the machine (assuming $1000). That doesn't take the cost of the key itself into account.

And since when does a dealer really care if we think it costs too much??

I'm not trying to justify what people charge for items. With my earlier post, I wanted to let people know that by trying to go to a locksmith, they may not save anything - that's all. But if $25 is the cost to maintain the security of a $26K+ vehicle, then so be it.

Also, I wonder what those funky MB and VW keys with the fob built in goes for??

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 09-14-2001).]

#6 ·
Okay, now I'm confused. You get two fobs (remotes or whatever they're called) and two keys with a new Ody, right? Please tell me Honda isn't forcing everyone to buy spares (almost a necessity if you only get one of each).

Geez, even GM provides two fobs and two keys.

#7 ·
You get two remote entry transmitters and two full keys, and one valet key.

If that's enough for you, that's great. It's not enough for me. I like to have spares around.

Let's see, one key for my wife, one for me. That leaves 0 spares. So I buy spares. One spare for the house, one for my parents' house a few blocks away, and so on.

In an emergency, when my wife has the two young 'uns (very young 'uns) to worry about, it's nice if she can call Grandpa and have him bring a key.

#9 ·
I told my salesman that I wanted a couple of additional keys when I picked up my Ody. He said he expected that I would and had them ready for me when I picked up my license plates. He didn't ask for any money; I didn't offer to pay. You ought to get something thrown in when you have to pay MSRP!

#12 ·
Does anyone know any aftermarket remote for Odyssey EX?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

#14 ·
try $75/each for volkswagen's! ouch!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
The immobilizer system Honda uses requires a Honda key to start the car. No longer can you just go to the hardware store and have a key made. It'd open the door just fine, but without the transponder it wouldn't start the car.

I'm sort of a fanatic about having extra keys spread around, just in case. It turns out that at my dealership, if you buy extra keys within 30 days of purchasing the car, the extra keys costs $10 (soon to be $12) each. !!!!

BUT if you wait until more than 30 days goes by, the keys cost $25 each!!!

Twenty-five bucks for a single key.

At $10 each, I bought three extras right away.

</font>

#15 ·
Here's what I decided to do regarding spare keys...I went to a hardware store and had them take 3 of their blank Honda keys and copy them from mine. Of course these hardware store keys won't start the car, but they'll get you inside. I placed one of the spares into a hide-a-key box (mounted onto the chassis), and gave one of them to my wife. I decided to keep an actual Odyssey key hidden inside the van to start the vehical, incase I ever get locked out of the van. That's just my way of saving $$ on spare keys.

#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lucman2:
Here's what I decided to do regarding spare keys...I went to a hardware store and had them take 3 of their blank Honda keys and copy them from mine. Of course these hardware store keys won't start the car, but they'll get you inside. I placed one of the spares into a hide-a-key box (mounted onto the chassis), and gave one of them to my wife. I decided to keep an actual Odyssey key hidden inside the van to start the vehical, incase I ever get locked out of the van. That's just my way of saving $$ on spare keys.</font>
Great idea. I think that I will do the same. You can hide the valet key in the car somewhere. If someone finds the external key, they still cannot start the car.

#17 ·
Cheaper AND safer. Two great tastes that taste great together. Don't forget that you'll have a harder time losing the valet key if you keep it inside the van too. Great idea!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

#19 ·
Excellent idea!!!! Wow; I feel so ignorant sometimes without this forum handy. These ideas while simple (Chuck's spare tire 'mod', the 'key' trick...) are EXTREMELY useful.

Its virtually fool-proof unless you hide the valet key in an obvious spot (glove compartment) or the person breaking into your van reads this forum (LOL!) and this finally provides a justification for that silly valet key's existence.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-27-2001).]

#21 ·
Here is a great place to hide a key

lucman2 said:
... I placed one of the spares into a hide-a-key box (mounted onto the chassis...
Here is a suggestion as to where to hide a key, take off the license plate and put the plate back on using one of the screws that hold the plate on to also hold the key. If you ever need it, all you need to do is get your hands on a screwdriver.

#23 ·
RacerRik said:
This may not be a good idea. When a thief is stealing your plates and finds the key, you just lost your whole van instead of just your plates!
Yes, that is possible, I have been broken into many times (in NYC), but never lost a plate. To add a little more security, as was suggested, make the key behind the plate a non-transponder key and hide the transponder key in the vehicle. That way, if the key is found, it won't start the van. I would take the chance of leaving a key behind the license plate, the chances of it being discovered is less likely than us being somewhere far from home with either a lost key or a key accidently locked in the van. My wife twice locked the keys in our car, once with the car still running. Once, I accidently locked the key in the car with my infant daughter still in the car seat, I was in a panic that time, luckily the police came to my rescue that time.

#24 ·
I installed a little gadget called "taplock".. see www.taplock.com
you programm your tap sequence and then tap on the window where the taplock module is (I extended it to rear window ) and door locks open. and hide a transponder key inside the car.
It works great.. I've install it in my truck as well. works great.
If anyone need more info about installation .. let me know.
paid $50 for the unit from taplock.com directly. I'm very happy with it. no problem since installed about 3 months ago.
few times I've left the keys in the car and locked it when going to the beach or something so don't have to worry about losing it.

#25 ·
If you think that's expensive, try a VW!

In addition to my Odyssey, I have a 2000 VW Beetle. I bought it used, and it only came with one key/remote combo unit. Cost for a new "plain old key" is about $115 ($50 for key, $15 for end mill cutting, $50 for immobilizer chip programming). Cost for remote/key combo unit is about $220.

So, I don't feel too bad about paying $20 for my Odyssey keys.

Russ

#26 ·
I musta really been a sucker, then. My 05 came with 2 keys, 2 remotes and a valet (as already stated), but I needed 4 keys and 4 remotes. Dealer sells me 2 more keys at $20 e. and 2 more remotes at $77 e. then says "take all 4 keys w/ remotes to service so they can all be programmed together, it will only cost you $120." Having no apparent choice in the matter, I plop all 8 pieces on the service writers' desk. An hour later he comes up to me to tell me that "the machine will only accept the programming of 3 keys and remotes. Sorry. we'll credit you back for the 4th set." So what I ended up with was ONE extra key and remote for $230!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.