Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 EX Nav and for the last year or so the remote only works in certain positions very close to the van... I used to be able to unlock the van in the parking log from my office window but you have to keep pushing the button a hundred times while moving the FOB around.

Obviously I've replaced the batteries on the FOB and the red light comes on every time, so I'm wondering if the receiver in the van has an antenna that could come loose?

Our other remote didn't survive the washing machine, so I can't narrow down the problem that way.

TIA
Sunil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try reprogramming the fob. I have the same situation but I see that it gets much better if I reprogram it for some reason. The procedure is very simple. Here it goes...

Storing transmitter codes:
The codes of up to three transmitters can be read into
the keyless receiver unitmemory. (If a fourth code is
stored, the code which was input first will be erased.)
NOTE: It is important tomaintain the time limits
between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and
the tailgate are closed.
1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
2. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or
unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the
keyless receiver unit by the glove box.
3. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or
6. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or
9. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Within 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock
actuators. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter
lock or unlock button again.
13. Within 10 sec., aim the transmitters (up to two
additional ones) whose codes you want to store at
the keyless receiver unit, and press the transmitter
lock or unlock buttons.
Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door
lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The receiver is behind the glovebox. Pull it out and check for corrosion or loose connections. Get a new remote and try.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I'll report back when done.
Sunil

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I read them before I posted... my problem is (was?) happening in hot or cold.

I reprogrammed the remote and it appeared to have worked! Thanks reyesrey!

Sunil

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am reviving this thread because despite what I wrote above, the reprogramming really didn't make a diff. I figured the key fob was to blame but I recently got two new ones and ... guess what? ... they all behave the same.... very short range. I will pull out the receiver as suggests (later, it's way too cold now), but I just wanted to see if anyone had any new info on this issue?

Has anyone experienced and solved the issue of very poor RF performance on the 2000 Ody?

Thanks
Sunil

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solved! I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Apparently the receiver in my van had very degraded reception so... what do we do when we have poor reception? We put a bigger antenna on the receiver!

Below are some photos after I removed it. I didn't take any pictures before, but to remove the receiver you just have to remove the two bumper stops that hold the glove box in. Once the bumper stops are removed, the glove box drops all the way to the floor to reveal what is behind it.

Remove the connector from the bottom of the Omron receiver and slide it up off the bracket that holds it to the van. On the bottom near the green connector there are four little tabs that hold a flap in place that keeps the board inside, so just use a small screw driver to displace the tab and open the flap.

Here is the receiver removed from its case. The antenna is the U shaped metal band soldered to the board (a bit hard to see in this shot):
DSC_5899.jpg

Here is the mod. Simply cut a length of insulated wire and solder it to the *END* of the existing antenna:
DSC_5900.jpg
DSC_5901.jpg

Shove the board back into its case and then plug it back in behind the glove box. Reattach the box to the bracket and route the wire up under the dash.
DSC_5904.jpg

The length of the wire should technically be some incriment of the wavelength to be ideal; however, in this case I don't think its so important. All that is important is that my key FOBs work from more than 3ft from the van now!

Hope someone finds this useful.
Sunil

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Did you try e-bay for a new receiver? Three feet isn't much of an improvement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you try e-bay for a new receiver? Three feet isn't much of an improvement.
eh? I said they now "...work from *more* than three feet...".... I went out at least 50 feet and for the first time in two years I can unlock the van :)

Sunil

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a 5 cent piece of wire is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new/used rcvr from ebay... :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
What kind of soldering gun did you use? That u-shaped metal must have been a big heat-sink. I don't think my cheap 10W gun would handle that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a "semi-decent" one... I can't remember the brand, but it is logic controlled and can source a lot of heat. I think the trick with a cheaper one is to heat it up, melt some solder on it, touch the antenna and keep applying more solder so that the flux can help heat up the part. Also pre-tin the end of the wire.
If that fails, you can use mechanical means - drill a little hole in the antenna and use a screw, washer and nut (tiny ones of course). Just be aware that the nut end should be hanging over the circuit board so it won't interfere with the case when you slide it back on.
Sunil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for posting! I have a similar problem on a 2008 EX-L. I just bought a new remote and it didn't help. I continued searching and now I will try this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like the 2008 is different. I can't locate the receiver unit. Some other posts make it sound like it may be a part of the fuse panel, others said inside the drivers door.

Does anyone know? I'll go ask in the 2005-2010 section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is not the FOB battery, then the 2005 to 2010 Odyssey has the receiver unit built into the drivers window switch. My unit degraded and then would only work within a couple feet of the drivers door. Get a unit from a wreaker or on ebay, but make sure it is the same model (base, ex and touring are different). Problem solved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts