Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to thank those on this board who recommended the Century EZ Latch. We wouldn't have known about it without that info. We are using it with 2 Century Breverras and the fit is rock solid, the most secure carseat fit we've had. We were unable to find it at 2 local Babies R Us stores. We ended up calling Century directly (1-800-837-4044) and were able to order 2 from them for $45 total, including shipping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got a 2002 SS Ex & 2 new twin boys to ride along with us. Was wondering about this Century LATCH retro & if it would work with our preg-perego infant car seats??? Would be much easier to use the Odyssey's LATCH system, instead of seatbelts. I guess my question would be, how long is the strap from end to end? I'll have to measure the amount needed to "thread" the belt through to see if it will work on out seats or not. Any help will be much appreciated!

CHIA

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CHIA:
Just got a 2002 SS Ex & 2 new twin boys to ride along with us. Was wondering about this Century LATCH retro & if it would work with our preg-perego infant car seats??? Would be much easier to use the Odyssey's LATCH system, instead of seatbelts. I guess my question would be, how long is the strap from end to end? I'll have to measure the amount needed to "thread" the belt through to see if it will work on out seats or not. Any help will be much appreciated!

CHIA
</font>
I suggest you contact Peg Perego for their recommendations on this. What you propose may or may not be safe, and is certainly untested by Century or Peg Perego. You've selected a very safe new vehicle for your family. If you'd like to use LATCH, please follow the Century instructions on their EZ LATCH kit, and use it with a Century Infant carseat made after 9/1/97.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am in a similar position and I wanted to prompt some healthy debate about the LATCH kits.

I have just ordered the Century LATCH retrofit kit for our Century Infant Seat (Baby due in May), and I confirmed with Century that the seat was compatible.

I would very much like to use the LATCH kits on the Britax Roundabout by 15-month-old uses, and the FP Grow-with-me booster that my 3.5 year-old uses, however I'm obviously worried about all the concern over testing and incompatabilities. The logic of this eludes me for the following reasons:

1) Carseat manufacturers cannot possibly test their carseats with ALL the vehicles that are manufactured, to ensure that the seatbelts are robust enough and positioned correctly etc., so they build them with the assumption that the seatbelts will be in the usual places and have been tested (see point 3)

2) LATCH kits are made out of the same seatbelt material as seatbelts, and secure carseats in the same manner as a normal lapbelt.

3) Seatbelts presumably must pass some safety standard before the car can be sold in the U.S. - I'm guessing that the LATCH kits only have to pass a test FOR THE SPECIFIC CARSEAT(S) THAT THE MANUFACTURER CHOOSES.

So the only thing stopping you from using a LATCH kit on any carseat that is otherwise compatible with a lapbelt, is the fact that the carseat has not been tested with that LATCH kit specifically. However, you can use your carseat with ANY seatbelt in a car, even if that combination has not been tested.

I can only assume that the manufacturers are afraid of a lawsuit...

I, for one, am inclined to use the LATCH kit on any of the carseats I have. The mechanics of the restraint system are exactly the same as with a lapbelt.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

[This message has been edited by pearsonrj (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I know this is an old thread, but I am in a similar position and I wanted to prompt some healthy debate about the LATCH kits.

I have just ordered the Century LATCH retrofit kit for our Century Infant Seat (Baby due in May), and I confirmed with Century that the seat was compatible.

I would very much like to use the LATCH kits on the Britax Roundabout by 15-month-old uses, and the FP Grow-with-me booster that my 3.5 year-old uses, however I'm obviously worried about all the concern over testing and incompatabilities. The logic of this eludes me for the following reasons:

1) Carseat manufacturers cannot possibly test their carseats with ALL the vehicles that are manufactured, to ensure that the seatbelts are robust enough and positioned correctly etc., so they build them with the assumption that the seatbelts will be in the usual places and have been tested (see point 3)

2) LATCH kits are made out of the same seatbelt material as seatbelts, and secure carseats in the same manner as a normal lapbelt.

3) Seatbelts presumably must pass some safety standard before the car can be sold in the U.S. - I'm guessing that the LATCH kits only have to pass a test FOR THE SPECIFIC CARSEAT(S) THAT THE MANUFACTURER CHOOSES.

So the only thing stopping you from using a LATCH kit on any carseat that is otherwise compatible with a lapbelt, is the fact that the carseat has not been tested with that LATCH kit specifically. However, you can use your carseat with ANY seatbelt in a car, even if that combination has not been tested.

I can only assume that the manufacturers are afraid of a lawsuit...

I, for one, am inclined to use the LATCH kit on any of the carseats I have. The mechanics of the restraint system are exactly the same as with a lapbelt.

</font>
Lawsuits are one issue. Manufacturers DO test every combination of their kits and compatible carseats on test beds.

There are indeed potential compatibility issues. The LATCH hooks on the Century kit, for example, are too long for some Graco carseats like the Snugride. Graco owns Century, and manufactures the Century LATCH kit, yet they are developing their own distinct kit for Graco seats for these reasons.

Evenflo's new kit is not recommended for some new Evenflo seats, apparently including the On My Way when used without a base. Apparently, there is a compatibility issue there also.

One could also see how the tilt-adjuster on the Century kit could be positioned such that it is at a right angle to the belt depending on the belt path of some seats, and thus could allow the strap to loosen in a crash instead of cinching.

For most people, some of these issues would not be obvious, and they would be putting their kids at risk. Now after a thorough test and inspection of such a kit on a model that is not recommended, a parent can certainly choose to use it at their own risk anyway. Hopefully, it will work just fine if they know for what to look.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a Britax roundabout that is about 1.5 years old. I read in the carseat.org website that the Britax expressway has their EZ latch system, called ISOFIT. Does anyone know if that system will work on the roundabout? From the picture it looks like it should and its just piece of seatbelt webbing with clips on the ends. its a small picture but that's what it looks like. I tried the Britax website but there was not Q&A section nor was there a section to send questions/ comments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kanadary:
I have a Britax roundabout that is about 1.5 years old. I read in the carseat.org website that the Britax expressway has their EZ latch system, called ISOFIT. Does anyone know if that system will work on the roundabout? From the picture it looks like it should and its just piece of seatbelt webbing with clips on the ends. its a small picture but that's what it looks like. I tried the Britax website but there was not Q&A section nor was there a section to send questions/ comments. </font>

The Britax Expressway has the LATCH system built into the seat. You can't buy it separately. Hopefully Britax will come up w/a LATCH retrofit kit soon!!

------------------
~Angela~
'01 MB EX

-cassette
-mud guards
-cargo mat
-cargo tray

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
At a conference last year, Britax showed the Isofit on the Expressway and on the Freeway plus. It is very likely the exact same system could easily be installed on a Roundabout.

There are two problems though-

1) It is not currently sold separately, as you know.

2) It is apparently only a solution for front-facing operation. Since the Roundabout is also rear-facing, I suspect there may be a compatibility or confusion problem with LATCH use while rear-facing.

Presumably, Britax will have LATCH convertible models available before September. It will be interesting to see if they bring any to this year's conference in April. It will also be interesting to see if there will be a retrofit kit.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Presumably, Britax will have LATCH convertible models available before September. It will be interesting to see if they bring any to this year's conference in April. </font>
Just be sure to tell the Britax guy that we want the Super Elite with ISOFIT right NOW!

I picture the conversation going something like this:

"So when's the Super Elite w/Isofit coming out?"

"Well, we're not sure, we've had some..."

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! "I don't think you heard me. The OdyClub wants to know, WHEN is the Super Elite coming out?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts