Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my EZ Pass statement from our July 4 trip and noticed that 4 tolls were not read - one in Delaware on 95 (got a statement today for toll outstanding - but it was read southbound) on 95 and three in Maryland. The PA turnpike read it just fine. Is anyone else having issues with EZ Pass being read? We have an EX-L with Navi, so no acoustic windshield but do have GPS and XM antennas.

I don't see that being a prior issue from searching the forums nor does EZ Pass seem to have the Ody listed as one that needs a license plate frame EZ Pass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doesn't EZ Pass utilize sensors above the traffic lane? And isn't the actual pass affixed to the inside of the windshield? Not sure why it's not reading. However, if the sensor is trying to read the pass through a side window that's tinted with traditional metallic tint, then that might cause some problems.

IIRC, GPS antenna is under the top of the center of the dash board. And XM antenna is on top of the rear roof. Neither are affected by metallic tint. But, cellphone users may exerience slightly weaker signals. For those that want to avoid that, and want to tint their windows, ensure you're getting ceramic tint installed for optimum reception.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, EZ Pass is supposed to be mounted in the top center of the windshield - behind the rear view mirror. Which is where I have mine mounted - same location as on the Grand Cherokee it came off of, as well as the Millenia S, Contour and Camry that each have used this particular transponder.

·
Registered
513 Posts
First thing I can think of is that he instructions say it needs to be 1 inch below any kind of tinting in the windshield, which I guess you took care to follow.

Also, how old is your transponder? They have a battery so it could be borderline...

Can you post a pic of your windshield with the E-ZPass on it? Others without problems might be able to compare with their setups.

Nicolas

·
Registered
786 Posts
I keep mine in the glove compartment and it has read it every time in the last 5 years, or the life of the Ody. This also includes almost all of the states where EZ pass is accepted, including Eastern and Western Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and even up to Maine. The only place I have to take it out is at the parking garage at Newark Airport. So I don't think where it is mounted on the windshield is a problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, EZ Pass is supposed to be mounted in the top center of the windshield - behind the rear view mirror. Which is where I have mine mounted - same location as on the Grand Cherokee it came off of, as well as the Millenia S, Contour and Camry that each have used this particular transponder.
same here and the sensors appear to be reading it (i get the "toll paid" light)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a problem a couple of years ago and the Pa officials told me it could take up to 1 week to be posted to your account that could be viewed online..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to grab a picture of it later. I have it at the top of the windshield - it's about an inch or two from the headliner - it is in the middle of those dots along the middle top of the windshield, which I don't really count as tinting as it isn't a solid film or otherwise should block an RF signal. The passes (we have 4 on our account) are all about 2 years old - sequential numbers so I'm fairly certain they were new when shipped to us.

Where do others have their EZ passes affixed to the windshield? Are those dots at the top unique to the 2011, and possibly interfering?

I don't use the EZ pass often (especially with the Ody) so no place to experiment with tag placement.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll try to grab a picture of it later. I have it at the top of the windshield - it's about an inch or two from the headliner - it is in the middle of those dots along the middle top of the windshield, which I don't really count as tinting as it isn't a solid film or otherwise should block an RF signal.
Our 2007 EX-L has that area with dots behind the rear view mirror.

Depending on what is used to paint that area, it does not need to be solid to block the signal. Could be worth a try moving it down, out of that area.

Nicolas

·
Registered
178 Posts
mine is right behind the mirror so i can't see it from the driver's position

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sastexan, skid plates? You off-road with your Ody?
Ha. No, I should have said anti-skid plates - I know Honda has some silly name for them, door garnish or something like that? The froo froo metal plates with anti-skid tape (which is the only reason we got it - and the dealer didn't charge us correctly for some of the accessories so instead of a refund, I just had them install the plates for us).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got my EZ Pass statement from our July 4 trip and noticed that 4 tolls were not read - one in Delaware on 95 (got a statement today for toll outstanding - but it was read southbound) on 95 and three in Maryland. The PA turnpike read it just fine.
Well, evidently, since the Peace Bridge EZ Pass billing is transferring over to NY, our account was delayed to be updated - Maryland did finally charge our account - so there was only one of the Delaware tolls that wasn't read. Could also be because it was one of their new high speed lanes on 95 just opened - and I think I was going at a high speed. :zoom:

So, maybe there isn't a problem related to the Ody after all. I'll keep y'all updated next time the Ody goes on a toll road.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I routinely drive PHL - Wash DC - PHL with my EZ Pass (my own car or rental), and yes, I have had trouble with the Delaware EZ Pass booths, not very reliable IMO.

According to the EZ Pass customer service (I called the 1-800 number once) they take a pic of your license plate, then they manually correlate it to the EZ pass registered to it and apply the charge or send you a ticket if there is no EZ Pass correlation. They say it can take a couple of months because each State has its own "office" :dunno:

I'm yet to see a late charge though :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ha. No, I should have said anti-skid plates - I know Honda has some silly name for them, door garnish or something like that? The froo froo metal plates with anti-skid tape (which is the only reason we got it - and the dealer didn't charge us correctly for some of the accessories so instead of a refund, I just had them install the plates for us).
Whoops! I forgot to add the ;) to the end of my post. I figured it wasn't actual skid plates.

I believe those are called sill plates, if I'm not mistaken. Yours have anti-skid tape? Like, sandpaper? Interesting. Didn't know those existed. I haven't had an issue with slipping on the sill plates, but I can imagine it's perfect for kids.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had trouble with the Delaware EZ Pass booths, not very reliable IMO.
Delaware is the scourge of the union, yes? At least they finally took all those tolls and did something worthwhile with them. We'll see if the new "high-speed" EZ Pass lanes help the backups.

According to the EZ Pass customer service (I called the 1-800 number once) they take a pic of your license plate, then they manually correlate it to the EZ pass registered to it and apply the charge or send you a ticket if there is no EZ Pass correlation.
True; I hadn't updated our EZ Pass profile online with the Ody's information so it is quite possible if I had done that, I wouldn't have received a citation from Delaware. Now that Peace Bridge has transferred all the billing to NY, and I found out how to get back into our account, I have updated so hopefully there won't be a problem going forward.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe those are called sill plates, if I'm not mistaken. Yours have anti-skid tape? Like, sandpaper? Interesting. Didn't know those existed. I haven't had an issue with slipping on the sill plates, but I can imagine it's perfect for kids.
Yep, check out this thread for pics - the anti-skid tape is only on the sliding doors, not the driver and front passenger. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/148656-door-sill-garnish-install-w-pics.html

We went to the beach the day after we bought the van, and our 3 year old was sliding around trying to climb in the van, which gave my wife visions of worst-case scenario in the rain and/or snow and/or ice. Too bad we can't just wrap the kids up in bubble wrap...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts