Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the factory air deflector an effective in protecting the hood and windshield from bug splatter and small rock damage?
Also, I'm concerned that the cure is worse than the illness in that the protective tape, metal brackets and plastic end supports (that are glued to the hood) will damage the paint if removed at a later date.

Anyone have a deflector removed that was in service for long time? Was the paint damaged or discolored?

·
Registered
596 Posts
The deflector from MacNeil (WeatherTech) item is cheaper, looks good, seems to work well (I have one) and attaches on the inside of the hood. It gets my vote.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
40 Posts
I to have a WeatherTech air deflector it works just fine except the 3M tape started to wire off so I replaced it with velcro tape and it's back to normal it does a good job of deflecting bugs a small stones

·
Registered
331 Posts
MacNeil cubed here I guess. Check out my response in the general discussion forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MacNeil sounds like a good alternate to the stock deflector. Does the MacNeil make contact with the hood's leading edge or does it require rubber bumpers? I'm wondering if it avoids all contact with the painted surfaces of the hood because vibration between the deflector (and rubber bumpers) and the hood would wear away paint over the long run.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The MacNeil uses little clear bumpers and I installed them on mine. Otherwise, the deflector does not touch the hood and is quite easy to clean behind. All-in-all, a good piece at a good price. I installed mine with the tape and when I was sure it was in the proper position, I drove the screws (self drillers/threaders) into the underside of the hood. A nice installation.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
52 Posts
The air deflectors are so ugly. Even is they save from little chips, I would stay away - period! (I saw the green deflector yesterday on a new Mesa Beige EX and it looked pretty bad.)

[This message has been edited by viskha (edited 10-20-2001).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I install the MacNeil deflector couple weeks ago on my '99MB. Looks nice and already suffer scratches from deflecting stones.

The only problem I had was when wind whistling from the deflector at 40mph+ on a quiet road. Does anyone have solution on how to reduce the noise? Maybe I need to find a wind-tunnel to found out where the noise is from?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts