Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I had Honda install the trailer towing package when I bought my 2011 Honda Odyssey EXL. When I hooked up the trailer - the tail and marker lights go on with the headlights but the stop and turn signals don't work. I used a tester and a trailer quick tester device and have confirmed that there is no power to the left or right turn signal plugs. Only the running lights and the ground is good.

I brought it in to the dealer and the guy told me that it is installed correctly but Honda does things differently and they work on the gorund side of everything. They get universal power and then connec thte ground wires through different modules to complete the circuit.

He said because of this, the main power is through the running/tail light plug which only comes on with the headlights. The ground is a permanent ground and then the left and right turn signals (which when both on are the stop lights) do not get power - instead - when you turn on the turn signal or hit the breaks, the module that came with the towing package, connects the ground allowing the circuit to be completed.

I told him that would mean that no trailer would work on their system. He said - well there isn't a towing wiring std. I told him there abosolutely is and showed him on the internet. White is ground, Brown is power to running/tail lights with headlights on, yellow is left turn signal/stop and green is right turn signal/stop. I told him the entire trailer would need to be re-wired - BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY - MY TURN SIGNALS AND STOP LIGHTS WOULD ONLY WORK IF MY HEADLIGHTS WERE ON.

He printed out a screen shot of the wiring diagram (which I will try to scan and upload). The diagram shows power to a towing module and then the white, brown, yellow and green wires coming out. He ASSUMED that because the power coming into the unit was above and in line with the brown wire for headlights - that the others were using the ground-side methodology for wiring. There is nothing indicating that the wires are ground or have positive voltage. He just assumed that because he got those readings and Honda uses ground-side system and the wiring diagram showed two wires in alignment - that this is how it is.

I asked him if it was wired wrong or the module is bad. His response was - well if I order a new one and that isnt it, are you going to pay for it. I told him that instead - he should look up or ask for tech help in determining if the module is supposed to be outputting power to the brown, yellow and green wires.

His tech support is closed on Saturday so they need to keep my car until Monday. On Tuesday - we were supposed to leave for a vacation.

1. Why don't they have support - they said Saturday is one of their business service days. That makes NO sense
2. Can someone tell me - or better yet show me - whether the towing module outputs power to the yellow and green wires or it makes in a ground?
3. If this is really true - which would be another hugely dumb thing - is there some converter so I don't have to wire my trailer over? IT would be a big pain to do.

Thanks - and sorry for the long post. I'm just very frustrated.

scott

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
That is some BS. Since you got the stuff installed WITH the purchase, it is warrantied for at the least 3/36 and if you picked up extended warranty, it might be covered longer.

I recommend looking for a new dealer as this one's clueless. While you're at it, I'd report 'em to the Honda Corporate as well. While all corporate will do is say "each dealership is independently owned and operated" it will get you on record that you had a botched install job at the selling dealer in case this one comes back to bite ya with other wiring issues.

The only thing true in the stealer's story is Tech Support indeed is closed on weekends. The stealers never used to have Saturday service remember? They added low level Oil Changes and what not on Saturdays but big jobs don't get done on Saturdays due to Honda Tech department being closed on weekends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He then said that the odyssey has separate turn signal lights and stop lights which means I would need to re-wire the trailer anyway to use a 7 plug adaptor.

He printed out a screen shot of the wiring diagram (which I will try to scan and upload). The diagram shows power to a towing module and then the white, brown, yellow and green wires coming out. It is clear that the inputs to the module have a L Turn Lt input, a R Turn Lt input and a STOP input. On the output side, it states L Turn/Stop and R Turn/Stop which shows that the module is combining the signals for proper output to the plug at the hitch. Now the question is whether the yellow and green output is supposed to be powered or grounded.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Concur with dvpatel. You need to see if you can find another trailer to hook up to. All you need to do is get close enough to hook up the connection. If it's still hosed up, then go back and demand they fix it. They installed it so Honda should be covering it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did and it is. I'm confident the module is bad or they miswired. I called them back this afternoon and they said they are checking a fewe things so they are prepared to talk to tech help first thing Monday. I think I finally got through to the guy.

Would still love to have more info on the outputs of the module if anyone has a similar package and can verify for me so I have some of my own data.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a factory tow package, works fine with 4 pin trailers. Also incase you ever need to know, the fuses for the trailer lights are in the 3rd row/trunk on the driver side. A uhaul trailer blew my fuse...

If I were you I'd report your dealer like dvpatel said.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Issue resolved.

After the dealership talked to Tech Support - they realized that the installer never put in the new fuses as required by the installation instructions. They put them in and tested the pins and got power to the brown, yellow and green wires as appropriate.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Scott

·
Registered
730 Posts
Issue resolved.

After the dealership talked to Tech Support - they realized that the installer never put in the new fuses as required by the installation instructions. They put them in and tested the pins and got power to the brown, yellow and green wires as appropriate.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Scott
Good to hear that. So it was installed correctly, but the job wasn't finished.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Still, I'd find a new dealer for future service. Doesn't sound like this one was interested in helping you without playing the "blame game". Not so good, in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone knoe if adding a 3rd party towing package or having a 3rd party install OEM towing package parts(including the ATF coolor) adverse ramifications on a Honda care warranty? What if you were to install it yourself? Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone knoe if adding a 3rd party towing package or having a 3rd party install OEM towing package parts(including the ATF coolor) adverse ramifications on a Honda care warranty? What if you were to install it yourself? Thanks
You will get many differing opinions on this subject and IMO there is no right answer. My response is it depends. I have handled this a couple of different ways on our previous vans. On the first one (02") I installed everything myself including the OEM hitch and OEM coolers (tranny and power steering). We had Honda Care Extended warranty on the van to 100K miles and tranny took a dive at 108K miles. Honda paid for the repair for two reasons only. We had all maintenance done by our Honda dealer and we were just out of Honda Care warranty. No questions were ever asked of us regarding hitch or no hitch and how much or type of towing did we do or not do with the vehicle.

On the 06' I took a different tack and installed the hitch and wiring myself but let the dealer do the aux coolers because I just did not want to hassle and labor was only $150. Cannot comment on warranty here because we sold the van with 148K miles and never had a problem with the tranny or drivetrain and we towed with it quite a bit over its lifetime, pulled utility trailers in the summer and towed snowmobiles in the winter.

On the 11' I just had the dealer do the install of everything because I am older, have more disposable income and $275 for the install labor was very reasonable IMO. I again have an extended warranty from Honda but do not plan to tow much with the vehicle. Will only use it for a bike rack most of the time.

Many argue that if you are only using the hitch for bikes you can get away without installing the aux tranny cooler and you may. My opinion is that the tranny's in these are much more reliable with a lower chance of failure pre 150K miles. If you actually plan to tow with it and do not use a Honda dealer for maintenance and also forgo Honda Care Extended warranty definitely have a dealer install everything for you. It is cheap insurance if you ever have an issue with the tranny or drivetrain down the road. Our rebuilt transmission replacement was $4875 back in 2006.

Just my .02,

JD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram with some of my notes.
Can't quite make out the diagram. I have the opposite problem from many. My brake and turn signals work just fine. My running lights aren't working on my 05 Odyssey. Any idea if there is another fuse to take a look at? The oddball 7.5 amp fuse spliced in was fine. Anyone know of another fuse for the running lights and where it might be? I'm pulling' my hair out trying to find out where the issue is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 also where I have running lights but no turn signals or brake lights. Checked the ground and fuses. Are there fuses we are missing to complete a circuit or activate the lights? With a test light I am getting 13v at the harness.
The trailer i am using is a Carry-on from Lowes. Anyone have any ideas on the turn signal and brake light issue I'm all ears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts