Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I tried putting one of these on my driver's side mirror; it fell off (doh!) after a few miles & left some nasty glue in a half semi-circle. My questions:

1) How do you get this goop off? My 'tried and true' method is usually to wrap a piece of scotchtape around my finger and blot it and it will eventually stick to the tape & not the mirror. This didn't work. : ( I don' want to scratch the mirror.

2) If I do actually find a little 'glue on' mirror that will work, should it go closest to the vehicle on the mirror or closest to the outside?

It seems the Ody has a particularly nasty blind-spot that makes having some extra visibility mandatory.

Maybe its because I've never owned a van before and just don't know how to adjust the mirrors correctly yet, but it seems there's a big old hole right now that sucks up vehicles when they get close to me until they reappear diretly beside my window.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Ok, I tried putting one of these on my driver's side mirror; it fell off (doh!) after a few miles & left some nasty glue in a half semi-circle. My questions:

1) How do you get this goop off? My 'tried and true' method is usually to wrap a piece of scotchtape around my finger and blot it and it will eventually stick to the tape & not the mirror. This didn't work. : ( I don' want to scratch the mirror.
</font>
Try using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the goop. Then it should easily come off.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX "Lagreat"
http://www.fototime.com/inv/46E6936F1F9A447

·
Registered
368 Posts
Try some "Goof Off" available at Home Depot. DON'T USE A RAZOR BLADE!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've used those mirrors on all of our cars for years and they're just about the first "mod" that gets put on. None of us feel comfortable driving a car without them anymore; we all feel blind. They go on as soon as the car gets home.

While the little mirrors give pretty much the same view wherever they're positioned on the larger mirror, sometimes they do have an effect on the usability of a portion of the larger mirror. I've had discussions with a number of people over the best position for them. I've always had them on the lower inside corners of the mirrors, while some others have defended their decision to mount them on the lower outside corners.

Then I had another idea. It sounds and even looks a little strange, but I now have them mounted in the CENTER of the lower edge of each mirror. This position works out very well and leaves both the inner and the outer corners of the mirrors fully usable while the little mirrors actually become "invisible" until you train your eye to focus on them. It's the best of both worlds.

I've always especially liked the fact that you can see all the way down to ground level at the sides of the car so you can see curbs and parking lines while backing up. Unfortunately, they don't do much for the huge blind spot BEHIND the Ody.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is a solution to your blindspots that does not require any additional mirrors.
I think I saw this in pop mechanics where there was research done on blindspots and mirror position, they found that most people position thier mirrors incorrecly. you don't want your side mirrors to show the same thing as your rearview.

position your rearview as you normally would.
now lean over so that your left cheek is almost touching the left door window (keep your head at the same height as when driving) now position your left mirror so you can just see the side of the van.
for the right mirror, move your head to the centerline and position the right mirror so that you can just see the right side of the van.

now you will not have any blindspots. the mirrors will show one continous horseshoe all the way around
when a car leaves your rearview it will be picked up by a side mirror and when it leaves the side mirror it will be picked up in the corner of your eye.

this works, I've tried it

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmc128:
Here is a solution to your blindspots that does not require any additional mirrors.
I think I saw this in pop mechanics where there was research done on blindspots and mirror position, they found that most people position thier mirrors incorrecly. you don't want your side mirrors to show the same thing as your rearview.

position your rearview as you normally would.
now lean over so that your left cheek is almost touching the left door window (keep your head at the same height as when driving) now position your left mirror so you can just see the side of the van.
for the right mirror, move your head to the centerline and position the right mirror so that you can just see the right side of the van.

now you will not have any blindspots. the mirrors will show one continous horseshoe all the way around
when a car leaves your rearview it will be picked up by a side mirror and when it leaves the side mirror it will be picked up in the corner of your eye.

this works, I've tried it
</font>
That's roughly how I already adjust my mirrors, (I adjust the left one even further out than that), but the addition of the small mirrors extend the field into neighboring lanes and down to the ground; very handy once you get used to where to look.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
Check this website and see if you like it: http://www.lanechanger.com/

-Harry
</font>
Thanks for the heads-up Harry. That "03" one looks pretty good (the $30 one). It looks pretty useful. However, there are those times when your interior is 'brimming over' blocking your rear-view and you have to rely on the outside mirrors. I think I'll go ahead & buy it and see how it works anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the freeways, even with the radio on, I can distinctly hear the nearby car engines (especially, if they are revving up to pass me), whenever the rear windows are open. That's my signal to speed up.

------------------
Dan
'01 SS Odyssey EX

·
Registered
215 Posts
The lanechanger 013 gives a 360 deg. view?

Why would you want to look into the mirror to see what was in front of the car? 180 maybe, but 360?

Regards
Al

·
Registered
254 Posts
if you need those little convex mirrors, then your oem mirrors are not adjusted properly. i do not allow them on my vans(5) at work. if you need them to drive a passenger car, you have a problem.

*only an opinion*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts