Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Ody failed to start this morning. Multi meter shows voltage of 9V. Did not leave anything on. Don't know how it happened. I put it on a charger. Hope it starts. Anyone else had any battery drain issues?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
My driver door was not closed all the way. All the interior lights turned off except for a very dim side light in the rear passenger area. The car started the next day. I saw this happened three or four times before I realized it was the door not fully closed. It always started the next morning so I thought I had a phantom dim light. Then one night my wife didn't close her door all the way and I discovered the problem. I presume all the lights are supposed to turn off after a certain period of time but it seems one light is still drawing power.
Maybe a door is not shutting completely?

·
Registered
368 Posts
My driver door was not closed all the way. All the interior lights turned off except for a very dim side light in the rear passenger area. The car started the next day. I saw this happened three or four times before I realized it was the door not fully closed. It always started the next morning so I thought I had a phantom dim light. Then one night my wife didn't close her door all the way and I discovered the problem. I presume all the lights are supposed to turn off after a certain period of time but it seems one light is still drawing power.
Maybe a door is not shutting completely?
We have literally left a sliding door open over night on multiple occasions by accident and every light goes off after certain time. It must be something specific to a front door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
At 15K, My battery had drained out and was able to jump start the car. Dealer inspected and replaced the battery even though the cells were good. I didn't have anything turned on.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Make sure the infotainnent system goes off when u shut down and open door. Sometimes it remains on and kills battery. A few times I was saved by trying to use my cell phone an hour or two later and discovering it was still paired to the van.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my 2005 ody had a problem with the sliding door not closing completely. The part that closed the latch ran continuously leading to the battery draining. Not suggesting you have this particular problem, just giving an example of what can be happening. Glad you are good with a multi-meter.

IF you continue to see the battery weak then have the dealer check for a parasitic power loss. Googling (or youtube videos) will show you have to do this with your multi-meter like I did, however since you are in warranty its easier to have the dealer do this test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One day my wife was in a hurry and probably left something on. When she returned, the battery was drained too. Interestingly it was only 1-2 hours, so most likely everything was left on? probably in ACC mode.

Jumpstarted it and no problems since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a a EXL RES that is about 13 months old, i have had to jump it at least about a dozen times, the dealer says its all good and nothing is wrong...

With the engine off in accessory mode i can get about maybe 7 minutes before there is not enough power to start the engine again and requires a jump. last week i was at the gas station filling up, turned off the engine and left in accessory mode listening to the radio, the van's motor struggled but luckily finally turned over. When the engine did finally start the radio screen went blank and could not turn on, i got to my destination and came back to the car and everything started as it should.

it pains me that the dealer does not offer loaners for diagnostic work when they want the car for a few days, and when i tell them about the issue, they do a few quick tests and say its running fine.

Combined with the sliding door issues, sometimes i feel like that old Twilight Zone episode with the gremlin on the wing (nightmare at 20,000 feet) is my vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My battery has failed 4 times since I bought the car in August. Last three times I can blame the cold weather. Frustrating with a push button start as you dont feel you can control the crank, Plus all the lights and electrical come on by themselves, further draining the battery.

I have owned 5 previous Hondas. Civic, Accords x 2, and Odds x 2. All have been very dependable

I recently read that this 2018 Odyssey vehicle is the first made in entirely in the states, and that they are a piece of junk. Hope it is not the case.

I am in the process of searching this forum for battery / electrical related issues.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Same here, Nubiwan. Just east of Toronto, on a severe cold day last month - the damn thing needed a boost. In 35 years and several Hondas, this is the first to present with this issue. Agreed about the all the lights, and bells and whistles coming on before the engine is up to full revs; especially the windshield defroster that some idiot at Honda thought should come on automatically when the temp is below 4 degrees C. And then they say in the manual, "Shut it off after 5 minutes because it's a heavy draw on the battery." If it's such a heavy draw, make the stupid thing completely manual just like the rear window defogger!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am glad I leased this thing - 42 months. Going to try minimize my usage to important kids transport, and when lease is over, it be adios Odyssey. If I get another Honda vehicle, I'll be sure its built in Asia.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Agreed, Tony. Ever since Honda started having these vans built by our good friends to the south, design and quality has gone...well...south. I usually keep my cars a long time. I doubt I'll be going full term with this puppy. Sad really...it rides very well but there are just too many stupid and unreliable things about it that make me feel like I got taken. Like many others here, I bought the 5th generation based on the assumption Honda pulled off yet another winner, like they always have. Not so this time. I bet Toyota will come out with their new van and it will blow these right off the map.

·
Registered
35 Posts
just a note: make sure push PARK button then STOP (STOP without PARK will stay in Acc mode that will drain the battery)
Indeed- this was mentioned to me. Somehow not making sure internal system was turned off when leaving car. Sometimes I have walked away from car, only to hear the radio still on. Go back and shut it all down. I think this may have happened in August. I have been pretty conscious to shut everything off of late.

In the cold it just fells like something else is happening. Not sure what. I get in, push the brake and start button, and it just sort of coughs. Then the break peddle gets all hard to depress, like car is switched off again, and the car just will not crank. The lights and fans all seem to go full blast, because that is what they do all the time, but battery will not crank the car.

Plus it is not all the time. Sitting out there last night in minus 12 and it started fine today. Ran it all day yesterday, when it was colder, and in the evening - refused to start. Annoying more than anything.

·
Registered
60 Posts
just a note: make sure push PARK button then STOP (STOP without PARK will stay in Acc mode that will drain the battery)
We were originally having “battery issues” when we first got the car. But this along with auto idle stop were the most likely culprits.

My wife was still getting used to the AIS system. Initially, she was thinking there were battery issues as she pulled into the garage bc the AIS would engage. Pretty sure she was just pushing the start/stop button (without selecting park) and just exiting, leaving the car in ACC mode! Once she started using the AIS bypass button, no battery issues.

Lots of relearning going on since she wasn’t used to start/stop ignition, push button selector and AIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
2018 Canadian Touring. My 5th Ody going back to 2002. Had to boost this one twice. Your problem may be unrelated but I'm with those who point the finger at the shut down process. And yes I said process because it's not unlike shutting down an airplane. You need a bloody check list. Did I put it in park before I hit the off button? Did I shut off the radio before I hit the off button? Is the infotainment system still showing a navigation route or any other info for that matter? And finally. if the infotainment system is still on does it go off as I exit the vehicle? I believe the last software update which contained several pages of software glitches listed this as one it was supposed to "fix". It didn't on mine at least. And the infotainment system was replaced by the dealer once.

Numerous times I've gotten in my office and went to use my cell phone only to note it's still connected to my vehicle a few hundred feet away. Out I go for another restart and shut down.

I drove across our province a few weeks back. Navigation locked 3 times and some of the time it was working showed my vehicle located in forest or lakes well off the TCH. Driver assist malfunctioning warnings came and disappeared at random.

The other night, a particularly cold night, I went to move the vehicle into my driveway as we have an overnight ban on parking on the street. Neither key would open the vehicle remotely. The useless Honda App that I neglected to cancel before automatic renewal failed to open the car. The valet key would not open the car. The next morning everything worked fine.

I love driving this vehicle but the software to be polite "isn't ready for prime time". I believe the vehicle was originally supposed to be introduced as a 2017 but was delayed. I think they didn't delay it long enough.

And I'm pretty sure the last Ody built in Canada rolled off the line in 2004. So we can't blame this on our neighbours to the south. Perhaps a quality control issue as you can't deny that some owners are having no problems whatsoever. I wish I was one of them lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
UPDATE and QUESTION! USB Charge Port?

It came to my attention that I had a USB stick in the USB charge port in the centre console for the past month or so. Would that cause a drain on the battery, simply by being plugged in. Doesn't require a charge because it is just a stick, but I am wondering if my vehicle is aware that there is nothing in the port to charge, and simply sends current to the port. Would seem to be a design flaw if this was the problem, but I am sure hoping it is the case. My battery has failed 2 or 3 times in the last 4 days in the cold weather, so it will go to the dealer Monday if it goes again. Cold tonight, but I have removed the stick from the USB port. Will advise tomorrow if I have any joy.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts