Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Heh Nobiwan. I'm also in St.Johns with a 2018 TOURING. My fifth Odyssey going back to 2002 and all serviced locally. Send me a message if you would like to chat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in Houston, so i know the cold weather is not the cause.
I can verify that there is some power draw issue with adapters that are plugged into the cigarette lighters as i have had a few dead battery from the kids leaving things plugged in in the back for an hour while we went out to lunch.

When using the regular AC power with the car engine not running blowing up an air mattress camping, i got about 5 or 6 minutes of air pumping before it crapped out.

A few weeks ago i was filling up at the gas station and left the windows down and the radio on, when i got back in there was not enough juice to turn the engine over. i waited 5 minutes and miraculously it started.

My wife while picking up something from a neighbors left the kids in the car watching a DVD for a few minutes, and once again when she got in the engine did not turn over. Later in the day i walked over there to check out the car and it started with out a jump.

In the meantime i picked up a Portable Jumpstart Battery that amazon should deliver latter today. hopefully i won't have to use it but i know i will, so ill update how well that works.

Earlier this week i went to the gym only to come back to the engine not being able to turn over, fortunately the fella who parked next to me was there and was able to help with the jump.

Last time i was at the dealership they told me everything was running fine and within spec, but of course i could leave it there at my time and expense to see if they can see it happen, diagnose it and in turn fix it. Not offering Dealer loaner vehicles makes this a huge hassle, I am considering doing this when i eventually take it in for the recall on the sliding doors. Huge pain in the BUTT.

Anyways other than the electrical and the Radio interface usability (another gripe) i really like the vehicle

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am in Houston, so i know the cold weather is not the cause.
I can verify that there is some power draw issue with adapters that are plugged into the cigarette lighters as i have had a few dead battery from the kids leaving things plugged in in the back for an hour while we went out to lunch.

When using the regular AC power with the car engine not running blowing up an air mattress camping, i got about 5 or 6 minutes of air pumping before it crapped out.

A few weeks ago i was filling up at the gas station and left the windows down and the radio on, when i got back in there was not enough juice to turn the engine over. i waited 5 minutes and miraculously it started.

My wife while picking up something from a neighbors left the kids in the car watching a DVD for a few minutes, and once again when she got in the engine did not turn over. Later in the day i walked over there to check out the car and it started with out a jump.

In the meantime i picked up a Portable Jumpstart Battery that amazon should deliver latter today. hopefully i won't have to use it but i know i will, so ill update how well that works.

Earlier this week i went to the gym only to come back to the engine not being able to turn over, fortunately the fella who parked next to me was there and was able to help with the jump.

Last time i was at the dealership they told me everything was running fine and within spec, but of course i could leave it there at my time and expense to see if they can see it happen, diagnose it and in turn fix it. Not offering Dealer loaner vehicles makes this a huge hassle, I am considering doing this when i eventually take it in for the recall on the sliding doors. Huge pain in the BUTT.

Anyways other than the electrical and the Radio interface usability (another gripe) i really like the vehicle
It sounds like you might have a shorted/dead cell in the battery. How old is it? If it’s not maintenance free type is it void of water? The water should be covering all the cells and if it’s been allowed to go below that level then it’s been allowed to oxidize and you will not get your full capacity back. Let them run a FULL diagnostic on the battery. Takes over an hour for them to do that test. They have a quick test and a full test that they can do. I don’t recall the actual names they use to distinguish each test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
PJones, thank you for your reply. It was dry every single time, there was no moisture anywhere under the hood, and FYI I made certain the vehicle was built Post Harvey Flood (R.I.P. my 2 previous flooded vehicles) the vehicle was built I believe in Nov or Dec 2017 and purchased late Dec 2017.

I forgot to mention last month i picked up a "BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool" and can watch the voltage drop with minimal activity in accessory mode. I can agree that the computers eat up a lot of juice, but there should be a sensor that stops if it gets too low to turn the engine over. Ill do as suggested and make an appointment to do a FULL Diagnostic on the battery at the same time i do the door recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 2018 touring 2 weeks ago and also had a dead battery yesterday. Called Honda road side to come and boost it because I didn't have a battery jumper pack and of course the Odyssey is in the garage facing a way that I can't easily boost it with another vehicle.

I was surprised to find out how involved it is to put the car into neutral when the battery is dead.

Based on everyone's experience I'm assuming the root of the problem is a combination of poor software and an inadequate battery.

Would installing a higher capacity battery help?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bigger battery would last longer, long enough to make a difference though is iffy. Even if replaced deep drains like this kill a starting battery fairly quickly.

Other problem, where are you going to put the bigger battery?

·
Registered
94 Posts
just a note: make sure push PARK button then STOP (STOP without PARK will stay in Acc mode that will drain the battery)
It shouldn't.

From the manual:

Auto park mode
For your convenience, park is automatically selected when all of the following conditions are met:
The vehicle is stopped
The drivers seat belt is unbuckled
The driver's door is opened

I've driven it for nearly 2 years always going from drive directly to the engine stop button (as the dealer said was acceptable), not putting it in park myself. I'm pretty sure I would notice if the vehicle were staying in accessory mode.

(now the fact that I just had a dead battery and had to jump start it doesn't really help my argument, I realize. But I maintain these things are unrelated.)

·
Registered
537 Posts
It shouldn't.

From the manual:

Auto park mode
For your convenience, park is automatically selected when all of the following conditions are met:
The vehicle is stopped
The drivers seat belt is unbuckled
The driver's door is opened

I've driven it for nearly 2 years always going from drive directly to the engine stop button (as the dealer said was acceptable), not putting it in park myself. I'm pretty sure I would notice if the vehicle were staying in accessory mode.

(now the fact that I just had a dead battery and had to jump start it doesn't really help my argument, I realize. But I maintain these things are unrelated.)
I am with you. Don't know how this urban myth (claiming that hitting the engine stop button leaves accessory power on while everything appears to have powered down once the driver's door is opened) started. I have been driving an '18 for 23 months now, and about half of the time I go straight to the start/stop button. When we are out of town the van had been parked in the garage for up to two weeks at a time and never had any battery issue upon returning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I am having issues with my 18 Ody battery and starting as well. It’s been to dealer 2 times already and they keep saying no drain on the battery, everything tests normal, blah blah. It has progressively gotten worse and needs 2-3 jumps per week. I can drive the car and stop, leave the doors open for 10 minutes while the kids run in to use the bathroom, change clothes or something and we get back in car and it won’t start. When you jump it, the other vehicle has to be given gas for a while to get the jump to work. Did anyone who had a problem ever get a resolution? If they changed your battery, did you end up with the same problem over time?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think u have a strong case for a new battery. Having said that I keep booster cables in my $55000 Canadian 2018. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
picked van up from hapless dealership and 10 minutes after I got home, car wouldn’t start. They sent a tech to the house to address. Battery didn’t even put out enough voltage for the guy’s battery meter to print the results. They finally conceded there could be a bad cell or defective battery. They replaced today. I will see how it holds up. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hoping for the best. Let us know. Nuts that you had to go through what you did to prove the obvious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the battery issues people are having is due the Honda's alternator voltage output algorithm resulting in batteries to continually be in a low state of charge.

I discovered my 2017 Accord does not output 14.4v all the time when the vehicle is running, instead it steps down to either 12.4v and 13.4v based on engine load, temperature and voltage required. I tested it and found that when on throttle the car was outputting 12.4v most of the time which is just enough to keep car running. If I start coasting off throttle, the voltage will jump up to 14.4v but step back down as soon as I was on the gas again. When the headlights are on was the only time I saw constant voltage of 14.4v regardless of engine load. Even with high load usage (defrost, seat heaters) the voltage was still stepping down if the headlights were off. So depending on the conditions, constantly running at 12.4v is not enough to charge the battery leaving it in low state leading to premature failure.

Although this was observed in my Accord, I am assuming Honda has the same algorithm in the Odyssey too. I found my 3yr old Accord battery was on the brink of failure but have recovered it through multiple cycles of trickle charging and it is now holding a charge. I also checked the voltage of our 2019 Odyssey and it was quite low. I will now be regularly manually charging our batteries monthly to pro-long battery life since we usually don’t drive at night with the headlights on triggering the higher voltage levels. An alternative to manually charging is to ensure you’re driving around with headlights on so the car will output 14.4v therefore charging the battery. All this complication and risk of extra battery wear for minuscule fuel savings.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe the battery issues people are having is due the Honda's alternator voltage output algorithm resulting in batteries to continually be in a low state of charge.

I discovered my 2017 Accord does not output 14.4v all the time when the vehicle is running, instead it steps down to either 12.4v and 13.4v based on engine load, temperature and voltage required. I tested it and found that when on throttle the car was outputting 12.4v most of the time which is just enough to keep car running. If I start coasting off throttle, the voltage will jump up to 14.4v but step back down as soon as I was on the gas again. When the headlights are on was the only time I saw constant voltage of 14.4v regardless of engine load. Even with high load usage (defrost, seat heaters) the voltage was still stepping down if the headlights were off. So depending on the conditions, constantly running at 12.4v is not enough to charge the battery leaving it in low state leading to premature failure.

Although this was observed in my Accord, I am assuming Honda has the same algorithm in the Odyssey too. I found my 3yr old Accord battery was on the brink of failure but have recovered it through multiple cycles of trickle charging and it is now holding a charge. I also checked the voltage of our 2019 Odyssey and it was quite low. I will now be regularly manually charging our batteries monthly to pro-long battery life since we usually don’t drive at night with the headlights on triggering the higher voltage levels. An alternative to manually charging is to ensure you’re driving around with headlights on so the car will output 14.4v therefore charging the battery. All this complication and risk of extra battery wear for minuscule fuel savings.
If you do not have a gel cell battery charger, do not charge with a standard lead-acid battery charger. The gel-cell battery in the Gen 5 has to charge with a lower voltage and may go up to a higher voltage depending on the load of the ODY current draw. Here's a good quote from the Internet,
Do gel cell batteries need special charger?
"Generally, gel cell batteries last longer than sealed lead acid batteries, as they resist sulfation. Charging a gel battery with a lead acid charger is risky, since gel batteries require constant voltage charging, versus taper charging provided with lead acid chargers."
It's like a saying from business's today, "Just in time ordering". Lead acid batteries require higher battery voltage (13.2VDC to 14VDC to push a higher charging rate. Some of the web sites claim you can watch your battery and not to allow it go above 14.7 VDC to charge, bull stuff, if you let that happen you will damage a gel cell battery. You can take a lead acid battery out and watch the higher voltage output boil your sulfuric acid. Now think about a gel cell, a higher voltage charge state will boil as it raises the gel temperature higher and pulls away from the plates only allowing an vapor space due to the gel turning to a gas vapor. Gel cell batteries have a special device in them, a safety vent valve release. This is why they use them today, you can mount the gel cell battery sideways or even upside down or upright. This prevent any gel material from coming out. The battery case will even swell up some and make your battery look like a partially rounded battery rather than rectangular.
Read a little about this at this website: https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/three-misconceptions-agm-batteries/

If you want to question me on this I can relate what we found out when I worked for the Federal Aviation Administration as a Environmental Engineer. A lot of mistakes were made with gel cell's (or if you want to call the Absorbed Glass Matt batteries AGM) and corrected through 4-5 years of installation and modifying equipment to try and make them work. This was done to allow for safety to eliminate handling lead acid batteries, and lead acid venting inside of building that was not vented properly, as the FAA is a large waste generator of lead acid batteries (heavy metals).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not all 5th gen Odyssey's have AGM batteries. Only the models equipped with Auto Idle Stop come with the AGM.

Good point though, make sure you charge appropriately with the proper charger if you're going to do it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not all 5th gen Odyssey's have AGM batteries. Only the models equipped with Auto Idle Stop come with the AGM.

Good point though, make sure you charge appropriately with the proper charger if you're going to do it.
Sorry, I thought all 5th generation ODY's had AGM. You would thing it is a very good safety feature to have and "Honda" would have highlighted that point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have a 2019 Odyssey with 20,000 km. I keep getting the message about my system has lost power. I took it and the dealership said that the battery was dead and had to be replaced. I only owned it a month and they tried to say it sat too long before I bought it and that's why the battery died. Completed crap. I drive 3000-5000km a month so it should have charged. They replaced the battery for free and sent me on my way. Within the next 2 weeks, the sliding doors continued to not work and I kept getting message in the morning about the Anti Theft system being disabled due to lost power. Then once Saturday after driving 45 mins, I went to lunch, came out 2 hours later and the van was so dead, there were no lights on the dashboard and the sliding doors wouldn't work. I got it boosted and drove it home. Put a trickle charger on it for the weekend and took it back to the dealership on Monday morning. They decided the alternator was gone so they replaced it also under warranty. Again said all my problems were solved. Fast forward another 2 weeks, sliding doors still don't close and I am still getting message about system losing power. I took it back to the dealership today and left it there. They've given me a rental in the meantime. They called to say they can't find any problems but I am 100% sure something is drawing down the battery.

Side note: I also owned a 2014 Odyssey and had same problems with sliding doors but nothing like this battery issue.
Side note #2: Brake rotors also went on 2019 Odyssey at 20,000. On my 2014, they had to be replaced 14 times.
Side note #3: The hydraulics in the truck door also don't work in cold weather so they failed, cost me $300 to replace and they only had a 1 year warranty. Ridiculous so every winter they will fail and have to be replaced.

I"m really curious what our recourse is as owners? Are we just supposed to continue to visit the dealership, wasting our time? We paid a lot for this van and I don't think its worth it at all for all the hassle. At what point can we get our money back when the vehicle they sold us doesn't have parts that work in Canadian's weather and have re-occurring faulty/bad designs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: 22 days later my van won't start again. Battery is dead again. I just had it boosted and then towed back to the dealership. Can't wait to hear the excuses they have considering its a new battery and new alternator....

41 - 60 of 63 Posts