Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're sitting in a Perkins off I-80 after our tranny failed. At least I am assuming that is what it was. We had (red transmission) fluid blown out and smoking and high revs on the engine as the it slowed. We limped off the road and then a tow truck delivered the vehicle to a mechanic. Being that it is July 4th, the mechanic will not be able to look at it until tomorrow.

Some questions -

Do I have any chance that my 2003 EX with 82K miles on it will be covered by any Honda warranty given all of the issues I have read about on this list?

If not, and the repair is substantial, does it make better sense to sell prior to a rebuild/repair or after?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Do I have any chance that my 2003 EX with 82K miles on it will be covered by any Honda warranty given all of the issues I have read about on this list?
First off, there is no warranty for 2003 models with transmission problems - only goodwill dispensed at Honda's discretion. It's probably a long shot, but contact a dealer and tell them your story. Are you the original owner? They may go to bat for you. Emphasize your loyalty to Honda.

If not, and the repair is substantial, does it make better sense to sell prior to a rebuild/repair or after?
I think you would come out ahead by fixing it then selling. Even a low-mileage 2003 with a bad transmission will get you very few dollars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about the recall on the transmission for '02-'04? Won't Honda replace this transmission based on their own recall, and at Honda's expense?

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
What about the recall on the transmission for '02-'04? Won't Honda replace this transmission based on their own recall, and at Honda's expense?
The recall that you mentioned was to retrofit an auxiliary lube jet for a certain gear that was sometimes overheating. Part of the process was to examine the gear and to replace the transmission if it was burned. Otherwise, the jet was installed and the van was sent back on the road.

Unfortunately, this is not what is killing most transmissions. Rather, it's a weak 3rd gear clutch pack. There was no recall for that, although I heard that the designing engineer was fired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts