Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a while, but I had 2 questions:

1. My father told me he could hear a noise coming from the front right side on his 02 Ody. Now when he drove by me, I couldn't hear ANYTHING out of the ordinary. I jumped in the van with him and upon turning the A/C off and radio off, a noise was heard. From a dead stop picking up speed you hear what sounds like a rubbing/grinding noise that goes away once you pick up speed. We checked the pads, but they are fine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?

2. He has had to fill up his power steering reservoir constantly now. We are curious if there are any common 'leak' spots on the odyssey, as we are having a hard time pinpointing it. We're hoping it's a leaky hose as that would be much easier to deal with than swapping out the rack and pinion assembly. Again if anyone knows about that, please chime in.

Thanks everyone :).

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
1. Wheel bearings or timing belt auto-tensioner (there is a TSB for this #03-064) are 2 things to come to mind. Any thing related to the drive and accessory belts too (A/C compressor).

2. Check the o-ring on the inlet valve of the PS reservoir. Common area for air leaks. Do you see any PS flluid leaking anywhere?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there! I am new to odyclub. I wish I found this site 11 yrs ago when I bought my 99. Any who. I recently had to perform WB changes on my wife's 99. I am inclined to go with New Dad New Van on this. Be careful though; the noise on my wife's sounded like the FP side when in turn it was the FD side bearing that was bad. Spent 2 days doing both sides outer bearings. At least I know they are good for another 200K, which is what the Gray Ghost has on it now...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll make sure to check the bearings guys, thanks.

As far as the leak, my dad believes its coming from the pressure sensor switch. We ordered a new one from rock auto, and we'll see if that alleviates the issue. I have my doubts, but I'll update as to whether or not that solves anything. As for fluid leaking, we have seen it on the boot right under the aforementioned sensor, which is why he believes its from there. I'll make sure to ask him to check the o-ring as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had the same problem, and i was baffeled by it! i look everywhere and couldnt find where the problem was coming from, and low and behold after 2 weeks of extensive reasoning and deduction, it was the side moulding on the front windshield, the thing is whenever you drive and there is head on wind the moulding somehow vibrates really fast which causes the grinding sound! check it out and see! what you can do is actually use duct tape and cover the whole thing and see if it goes away! its either the left or right side rubber moulding! hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hummm, he does get wind noise on the highway, but I'll definitely suggest that to him as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sugarqfx, I spoke with my pops and he says that grinding issue sound is different. He's taken care of that by taking it into the dealer and they put shims in that channel to cut the 'wind' noise. We're still going to try the other suggestions and see if we can pinpoint the leak and pinpoint the grinding noise. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts