Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first thread on Odyclub, so please forgive any violation of SOP. That said, I am looking at a 2009 Odyssey Touring with 96,XXX miles for $11995 for my wife. The dealer is offering a 10/100k warranty for $1900. This seems high to me. I have never bought an extended warranty before, but this being an older Odyssey with all the bells and whistles(wife insists ;)), I have begun to consider it. Do you think it is worth the price? What about the deal overall? It's in very good mechanical condition with only minor aesthetic flaws. It has a new set of Mastercraft SRT Touring tires,so I assum it has been depaxxed.

Again,sorry if this is a redundant question or if I am posting in the wrong place. I sure appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
First of all, there never were PAX wheels on the 2009. The last year PAX was available was 2007.

As for the warranty, the answer depends on how good you are at managing your money because the warranty company will only sell the policy if the data they have says that on average they will make money. They have the advantage of spreading their risk out over thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of cars where you have one. If a major repair like and engine or transmission would cripple you because you can't cover a $3,000 surprise then a warranty might be a good idea. Otherwise the odds are in the warranty company's favor and don't forget, the dealer is keeping a nice chunk of that $1,900. The warranty company probably figures on average they will cover about $800 in repairs, which leaves $600 for profit/cushion and $500 profit for the dealer. Do yourself a favor though and research the warranty company to make sure they really are paying claims and don't have a bunch of disgruntled customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh perfect good to know thank you. I am a car guy but I am new to the Odyssey. The warranty company sounds reputable and with all the vcm and do dads on the engine I'm thinking the warranty might be a good idea. Otherwise I'll just put away the $30 per month into an account for unexpected repairs.thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh perfect good to know thank you. I am a car guy but I am new to the Odyssey. The warranty company sounds reputable and with all the vcm and do dads on the engine I'm thinking the warranty might be a good idea. Otherwise I'll just put away the $30 per month into an account for unexpected repairs.thanks again!
Sorry for asking question with my ignorance. You have mentioned Odyssey already ran into 96000 miles, additional warranty is up to 10yr/100k. Does this warranty covers only for additional 4000 miles (Van reaches 100k in additional 4k miles) or 196,000 miles?

Is this warranty from HondaCare or Third party?; Please do let me know the warranty company you have purchased.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have a 2009 Odyssey that came with PAX tires. I think 2009 was the last year.
Come to think of it was it offered as an option at that point? 2005-2007 you couldn't get a Touring without PAX from the factory as I recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts