Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pictures showing the differences between fake parts found on eBay & Amazon vs. Genuine parts purchased from Honda dealer and Rock Auto (NOTE: Genuine timing belt purchased from Honda dealer)

CAUTION: Do not use fake / counterfeit parts. Many people have experienced failures of the fake parts soon after installing them, often resulting in $$$$ expensive repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures showing the differences between fake parts found on eBay & Amazon vs. Genuine parts purchased from Honda dealer and Rock Auto (NOTE: Genuine components from Aisin TKH-002 timing belt kit (tb tensioner, adjuster pulley).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are some pictures showing the differences between fake parts found on eBay & Amazon vs. Genuine parts purchased from Honda dealer and Rock Auto (NOTE: Genuine components from Aisin TKH-002 timing belt kit (tb idler pulley).

One funny thing I noted is that on five of the component packages the fake kit used the same label for different parts. The part name is changed, but the UPC code and ID# are the same. (Pic attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures showing the differences between fake parts found on eBay & Amazon vs. Genuine parts purchased from Honda dealer and Rock Auto (NOTE: Genuine water pump removed from 2007 Odyssey)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts
We don't really need 4 separate threads so I merged them. There is a per post picture attachment limit but you can post the rest of the pictures in a reply to the original thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We don't really need 4 separate threads so I merged them. There is a per post picture attachment limit but you can post the rest of the pictures in a reply to the original thread.
Thank you... I originally posted them separately due to the photo limit.

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are some pictures showing the differences between fake parts found on eBay & Amazon vs. Genuine parts purchased from Honda dealer and Rock Auto (NOTE: Genuine water pump removed from 2007 Odyssey)
Don't bother installing these parts - or expect failure and redo with more parts later. I purchased this "too good to be true" price package off eBay a few months ago, installed everything with ease, but the water pump started leaking within two months of operation. I just replaced it again with a Gates brand pump which is still not as good as OEM but more reliable than whatever crap company is making the fakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard about fakes, but amazed at what length they've gone to appear as OEM parts - its no longer easy. Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
981 Posts
Don't bother installing these parts - or expect failure and redo with more parts later. I purchased this "too good to be true" price package off eBay a few months ago, installed everything with ease, but the water pump started leaking within two months of operation. I just replaced it again with a Gates brand pump which is still not as good as OEM but more reliable than whatever crap company is making the fakes.
You're lucky the water pump was what started leaking and not the belt snapping in half. We've seen many pictures of belts breaking mere months after installation, rendering the whole engine toast.

I hope you replaced the fake timing belt and it's no longer on your car?

Also, Gates used to make good aftermarket stuff, and their serpentine belts are alright, but their water pumps are garbage. There are many reports of failures before 30K miles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You made a big mistake with the Gates WP. If I were you, I would redo the entire job with quality parts or join AAA and start saving for a new engine.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Great comparison OP. People can come and look it up. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
You're lucky the water pump was what started leaking and not the belt snapping in half. We've seen many pictures of belts breaking mere months after installation, rendering the whole engine toast.

I hope you replaced the fake timing belt and it's no longer on your car?

Also, Gates used to make good aftermarket stuff, and their serpentine belts are alright, but their water pumps are garbage. There are many reports of failures before 30K miles.
You made a big mistake with the Gates WP. If I were you, I would redo the entire job with quality parts or join AAA and start saving for a new engine.
+1 on redoing the entire job with the right parts. Based on other reports of grenaded engine you are playing Russian Roulette every time you drive that van.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Let me add here what you should see for genuine OEM Honda water pump and tensioner pulley. Water pump comes in the large blue bag and the sticker has the date that the pump is qc-ed. Tensioner pulley comes in the white box on the very right. Bag for timing belt on the same, same as what OP showed. Bag for hydraulic tensioner is the 2nd from the right. The bag or the box or bag color is the first indication whether the part is fake or genuine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts