Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 EXL had the "brake lamp" light come on, but all brake lights work. Anyone know why this is happening?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Are you taking about the "brake light" warning indicator or the red "brake" warning light. Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir, it might be low tripping the warning light.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you taking about the "brake light" warning indicator or the red "brake" warning light. Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir, it might be low tripping the warning light.
No, this is the indicator to let you know a brake lamp is out.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It might be the brake lamp failure sensor. No idea where on your Ody it is, but my older Accord was on the taillight asembly. Was a small white plastic box where the brake bulbs are.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Are you sure that the left and right rear brake light bulbs light up when the brake pedal is applied? These bulbs are a double-filament bulb. They act as parking lights and brake lights with 2 intensities. BTW the high-mount brake light (at top of hatch) will not trigger the BRAKE LAMP indicator. So periodically check it visually.

If not the bulbs, then the BRAKE LAMP circuit and its components are at fault.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Are both brake lights the same intensity. Make sure they are the correct bulbs. The senser works by measuring the total current flowing through the brake lights. Senser is in the driver side rear panel. Try replacing the bulbs checking the sockets for corrosion.

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
Also, I vaguely remember that the brake lights on the spoiler also trigger it. Check if they're working too. Easy to miss 'em high up there.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Also, I vaguely remember that the brake lights on the spoiler also trigger it. Check if they're working too. Easy to miss 'em high up there.
Nope dv, on the 2nd Gens for sure the high-mount brake lamp in the spoiler is not in the circuit with the BRAKE LAMP on the dash.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Only the two brake lamps are in the circuit on the gen 2

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
Ok then. If NDNV and Wiles say it then I stand corrected. I might be confusing it with either the 3rd gen or totally something different. Any updates OP?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Also check for zero resistance in the brake light switch when closed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I double checked all of the bulbs, and they are all working and they look like the same intensity. I guess my next step is to take out the bulbs and check for bad connections or corrosion. I have a spare bulb, so I'll try replacing each side to see if it makes any difference.
If that does not work, then I'll take a look at the sensor. Where exactly is it in the rear drivers side panel? Will I see it when I remove the tailight?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Again are the bulbs the correct part number. The senser maeasures the current flow with an op amp and too much or too low a current will turn on the light. You need also check for high resistance short in thr wiring. Senser is behind the driver side rear panel. You probably won't be able to get at it from the light assembly. Resistance in the brake pedal switch may also cause it also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally got a chance to remove the tailights and check for any loose connections, and they looked good. I had a spare bulb an I swapped each side out, but the light on the dash is still lit. Any ideas where else to look?
William Wiles, you mentioned check the brake pedal switch. Is that in the wiring? I would think not since the "brake lamp" out lights up all the time regardless if you step on the brake or not.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
You didn't mention that the brake light warning indicator was on all the time. (I presume you mean whenever the ignition is on.) In this case, the problem is very likely the brake light failure sensor. It has its own power source independant from the brake lights. It's located in the left rear of the van behind the trim panel aft of the jack compartment.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Funny how one small piece of information can changr the whole picture. I'll second the sensor. One other check though. Is there a trailer adapter plugged in? If so unplug it first. Don't know for sure it will cause the problem but hust being thorough.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You didn't mention that the brake light warning indicator was on all the time. (I presume you mean whenever the ignition is on.) In this case, the problem is very likely the brake light failure sensor. It has its own power source independant from the brake lights. It's located in the left rear of the van behind the trim panel aft of the jack compartment.
Can you tell me how I can access the sensor? I opened the jack storage compartment, but could not find any access to the sensor.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You have to remove the trim panel. You may be able to reach it by poping the rear of it loose.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
THat is the left rear side trim panel. there is a screw in the jack opening. a screw in the net holder and a couple pop out clips. Forget my posts on the brake switch and trailer cable as they are before the senser.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I managed to get to the sensor. I pryed open the trim just enough to get it out. Its just a little circuit board. I did not see anything unusual. I wiggled the wires, but I did not see the light go out once. So I thought let me remove the sensor and maybe take it to work to troubleshoot. When I removed the sensor, the "brake lamp" light went out, but also my brake lights did not work. I guess you need to keep the sensor plugged in to complete the circuit for the brake lamps.
I wonder if there is a way to bypass the sensor and jump out some wires to get the brake lights to work. I did see an additional connector taped up to the harness (looks similiar to the plug for the sensor). I wonder if that connector is to bypass the sensor if you had to remove it for some reason.
In any event, is it safe to asssume I have a bad sensor? Are they cheap to replace?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts