Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon performing the annual PA State inspection of our 2005 model Odyssey our Honda dealer (that has been maintaining the car for ten years) reported the engine (173,000 miles) might soon require replacement. It was reported that camshaft intake lobes were severely worn (pitting). A compression test was supposedly performed showing two badly performing cyclinders. The spark plugs in those cyclinders were supposedly in need of replacement. Since this reporting indicated we might want to consider trading our car very soon, a second opinion was obtained. A compression test performed by an independent garage showed all cyclinders in excellent condition. There is absolutely no doubt about the results of the independent test. This means our Honda dealer falsely reported to us....probably to encourage a switch to a new Odyssey. Of course, all trust in our Honda dealer has been lost.

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
A very few Ody engines have been afflicted with worn and pitted cam lobes. (Possible manufacturing defect.) I don't think this would affect compression as the valves would still close correctly.

IIRC, the symptom is valvetrain noise.

Is the engine still running quietly? Any clicking noises?

Dave

Edit: Here is a thread where the owner has the same diagnosis: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/232993-2009-ody-engine-ticking-damaged-cam-replace-engine.html It has a better description of the noise it makes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is why most states did away with vehicle inspections. It encourages fraud! Everyone from the state down gets their slice of the pie from this kind of fascist corruption.

How in the hell does a cam lobe get "pitted" in the first place?! Especially enough to effect the valve height in order to reduce compression. The only way they could be severely worn is from a lack of lubrication.

It sounds like there may have been a leak during the initial compression test at the spark plug holes in order to lose compression in those 2 cylinders.

Does this vehicle have the VCM mode?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
There have been pitted camshafts in these engines. The only way to know is to pull the valve cover and look. Doubtful the dealer did this in this case. Stop taking your 2006 vehicle to the dealer for service. You will only get your wallet emptied and talked into buying a new car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is foolish to trust a dealership as they are called 'stealership' for no reason. Few questions for you

1) When the dealership presented its facts about your vehicle, did they preset you with hard data (aka printed document) with your vehicle VIN on it? or someone just come to you and tell you about it?

2) Did you pass inspection? From the severity of the reasoning, I would imagine your vehicle would have failed in that condition.

here are the additional thoughts

- The dealership, if confronted with it, will ultimately deny such a claim if you do not know the person who discussed it with you. Even then, they may say it was 'for a different vehicle' and that they 'by mistake' spoke to you about it. This is, if they did not provide hard copies
- If they did indeed provide hard copies, they will stand by it and tell you till you are blue in the face, that they cannot guarantee the work that 'other' shop did, and what they found is what they found. Take it or move on
- Your loyalty of 10-years makes no difference in their livelihood. You are just another customer and they are many like you. If you walk out that day, two more will walk in.
- Service and used car sales are the bread and butter of a dealership. You just happen to be a prime candidate. If they convinced you and you traded it in, it is a WIN WIN for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I caught my local dealership in a blatant lie through text message. They texted me and told me they pulled my plugs and there was absolutely no oil foiling per TSB13-081.

I took it to the dealer across town and they let me watch as hey removed 4 black and oil soaked plugs. Got my TSB repair after that AND my money (diagnostic fee) back from the first dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts