Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the fastest you gone with your Odyssey? The speedometer max is 140 and was wondering anyone got close to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
102 m.p.h. in my 96' Ody before I realized it and backed off! Still breaking in the 2002 so I am not going anywhere near 100 in it.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
859 Posts
Car&Driver magazine said that the '99 and '02 Odys that they tested where electronically speed limited to about 118mph in road tests/reviews so don't expect to peg the speedo.

P

·
0 Posts
I've hit 95 before, this was quite a suprise when I looked down and realized I wasn't going 70 anymore! (kudos to the suspension!)

I think it'd be fun to see how fast it will really go, but the idea of flooring a bright red van down a California freeway is a little unnerving.

Michelle

·
Registered
910 Posts
I went over 180km/h on a straigt freeway. But don't know how fast exactly I was going coz I was busy looking infront.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
well look up the Silver State Classic in Nevada (there are a few diffent events)...basically a timed event on a closed public highway. Minimum estimated speed is divided into different classes. The classes start at 90mph... hmmm, 2002 240hp VTEC, almost worth considering entering the base category for the novelty alone! Anyone else up for a trip to Nevada?

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
15 Posts
The computer cuts you off at 118. This is the "magic" number for many vehicles as it is the highest rated speed for the stock tires. Many aftermarket chips remove this limit for you, but availability for the Odyssey is probably pretty dismal.

-Kurt

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'll take the forums word for the fact that the Ody governs out at 118.

I'm more than certain the Ody wouldn't pull 140 even if the electonics would allow it. The aerodynamics simply aren't there.

Besides, we're talking a "minivan" here. This is not a vehicle that designed for those kinds of speeds.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

H

·
0 Posts
I haven't tried to push my 02' Ody to the limit. I think the highest speed I've tried was 95 mph on I-5.

But I have no doubt that it can go all the way up to 140 mph. Quite a few times, I drove my '90 Mazda MPV at 115 mph, then slowed down because the wind noise became so loud.

-- Hoa

------------------
GG 2002 EX-L-NAVI

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nah Hoa, there is no way a stock Ody can get to 140 without the limiter. This this can bearly reach 112mph. The gearing and aero simply won't allow it.

The fasterst I've gone in the Ody is 182ish km/h before I had to back off because there was a car way ahead of me.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
342 Posts
The problem is that aerodynamic drag increases exponentially as speed increases. As good as the Ody's engine is, I don't think it's capable of pushing that oversize box of a body to speeds as high as 140, especially with the gearing it's got to work with.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If...theoretically an Ody was dropped from a plane (hmmm, C130 over a certain country?/could fill it with yellow care packages..)....well anyways, wouldn't it hit 120mph/terminal speed? I thought I remember that number from science class for falling objects/and that Newton guy.

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
859 Posts
If an Ody was shot out of a cannon like an Evil Knievel canyon stunt, the Ody could reach speeds of.....lets see....

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
4,495 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, OdyRocky. I dropped my Ody out of a plane but the speedometer didn't work! So I do not know how fast I was going. Now it doesn't have that box-shape problem.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
A few thoughts...

- The terminal velocity number of 120mph is approximate for a person in free-fall.

- Aftermarket chips for the Odyssey, maybe not. What about the VTEC Accords?

- Anyone know what revs they were pulling at speed? Or perhaps have the C&D time/speed plot? It would be fairly safe to extrapolate if it were known where on the torque/hp curve the revs for 118mph fell.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts