Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the fastest (or best) way to cool down an overheated transmission on a long, steep uphill? Let's assume I rarely drive a full van up hills and I don't trailer anything (that boat idea was nixed, another story), so I have not invested in an auxiliary cooler.

Is it best to put her park and shut off the engine (obviously that will get down to the ambient temperature eventually)?
Keep it running in park (idea is radiator fans will cycle on, maybe cooling it back down to a normal operating temperature faster, or will engine heat make this worse)?
Do something else I wouldn't expect?

All I really know is to use low gear and take it easy; just being paranoid with all the transmission stories here and my upcoming trip to the mountains from my normal "level" life. And I just changed the fluid (2012 w/ the 5-speed).

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Idling in park is the quickest. The 5 speed in the '07+ models was redesigned and significantly improved to be far more robust. Most of the horror stories are 2004 and prior because there was a mid-model year modification done during the '04 model year before the redesign. Regular fluid changes are the best deterrent to transmission failure. When I was towing extensively every summer I would do a 4X drain/fill every spring or about 20K miles. Even better would be a single drain/fill every other oil change or about every 15K.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,082 Posts
pkrface is correct that idling is the quickest way to cool down the transmission. I have been monitoring the tranny temp on my 04 and every time I come to a stop or am able to cost the transmission temperature drops.

Even if you do not tow I would still recommend an auxiliary transmission cooler. Heat is what kills a transmission regardless of design.

·
Registered
244 Posts
pkrface is correct that idling is the quickest way to cool down the transmission. I have been monitoring the tranny temp on my 04 and every time I come to a stop or am able to cost the transmission temperature drops.

Even if you do not tow I would still recommend an auxiliary transmission cooler. Heat is what kills a transmission regardless of design.

2008 EXL - I was on the fence for a while about getting a trans cooler but eventually decided I wasn't based on the trans temps I read here somewhere on the third gen looking good. I have a magnefine external inline filter fitted and can shoot my laser thermometer onto the housing in a snap to see what temp my fluid is re-entering at.

Living in New Orleans the weather temp gets in the upper nineties, I never tow but I'm still kind of wondering whether an external cooler is necessary or not? I do plan on keeping this vehicle for 300,000+ I'm running Amsoil atf, 1x drain and fill every 15,000.

If my trans temps are all within a reasonable range and my fluid looks, smells good along with my maintenance schedule is it overkill to fit a cooler?
The 2008 trans seems fairly problem free, However, what are yalls opinion in this situation.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,082 Posts
If my trans temps are all within a reasonable range and my fluid looks, smells good along with my maintenance schedule is it overkill to fit a cooler?
The 2008 trans seems fairly problem free, However, what are yalls opinion in this situation.
The 2008 has a much more robust transmission compared to Honda's earlier units. With that said, especially if you can do it yourself, the $100 you would spend getting and installing a transmission cooler is very cheap insurance, especially when you are shooting for the 300K mile mark. However, doing a drain and fill every 15K miles along with using Amsoil ATF is probably more important than a tranny cooler on your year of van.

·
Registered
933 Posts
2008 EXL - I was on the fence for a while about getting a trans cooler but eventually decided I wasn't based on the trans temps I read here somewhere on the third gen looking good. I have a magnefine external inline filter fitted and can shoot my laser thermometer onto the housing in a snap to see what temp my fluid is re-entering at.

Living in New Orleans the weather temp gets in the upper nineties, I never tow but I'm still kind of wondering whether an external cooler is necessary or not? I do plan on keeping this vehicle for 300,000+ I'm running Amsoil atf, 1x drain and fill every 15,000.

I'm with you. 2001 original owner, 212,000 miles, on the fence concerning trans cooler. Doing an experiment
Currently on 4th trans. Installed magnefilter, and drain/fill every 8000 miles. 55,000 miles so far.

Friend had 2000, trans rebuilt, (3rd), (I used his mechanic for my 4th trans.) Friend did not install cooler, but
he did do a drain/fill frequently. Put 130,000 miles on trans. was still working when he got rid of van, at 330,000 miles. So, will see....if my van.....performs like friends.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,082 Posts
Temperature is what generally kills transmissions, which is why I always recommend a cooler. Temperature breaks down the fluid (which is why you should use a good synthetic fluid), can cook the seals, and clutch materials. I always view a cooler, and good fluid with frequent changes as cheap insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts