Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIL was visiting yesterday and we decided to go for a spin. In the blink of an eye he backed it up into the door of the Mini Cooper across the street.

1st estimate so far is saying $1,000 on the Ody. The mini's valiant last stand resulted in a side view mirror through the tail light. The shop claims two sensors in the bumper will have to be replaced. Unknown estimate on the Cooper thus far, but I expect it will be crazy expensive. Her driver door was crushed like a coke can.

To add insult to injury:

1. we just got insurance settled on Ody yesterday
  2. I don't recall hearing the parking assist sensors. I'm curious why they didn't go off...
  3. the nieghbors recently moved in, and apparently his wife was fired by my wife a few years back. Here's hoping they won't insist on going through insurance/

We haven't had the minivan even a week yet and she's already wounded :nothappy:

Question: Whose insurance is responsible? Mine or the FIL's

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Your insurance is responsible for your car. Your FIL's is responsible to get the Mini fixed. I was driving my BIL's Quest a decade ago when it got totalled due to a kid not stopping at his stop sign and pulling out in both my lanes to make a left turn. All insurance stuff was handled by BIL's insurance as they insured the car. I first called my insurance and they said I need to call BIL's insurance and file a claim with them first and I would be responsible for the other party's damages if it was proven that I was at fault which I wasn't. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info.

FIL has a company car and therefore, his company pays for auto insurance. He really does not want to get his insurance (and therefore his company) involved at all.

By the same token, I don't think it's fair for my insurance to cover the mini's repairs either.

Looks like we have a quote from what appears to be a reputable shop who will do our fix for ~$850-$1,000, depending on the status of the sensor.

Our deductible is $500.

FIL is volunteering to pay cash for both cars, but I hate to put him on the hook for 2-3k...

Not sure what is the best route...

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Sounds like your FIL is an honorable fellow and is just taking responsibility for his mistake. Let him do what he feels he must.

BTW, defensive parking means never park opposite a driveway. This sort of collision happens frequently. The Mini owner is partially responsible, although not in the eyes of the insurance companies.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
BTW, defensive parking means never park opposite a driveway. This sort of collision happens frequently. The Mini owner is partially responsible, although not in the eyes of the insurance companies.
Hmm. Then I am screwed. If someone wants to park in front of my house, they have no choice but to park opposite my across the street neighbors' driveways. My driveway is in the middle of both hoses across street. So far, only one neighbor has hit 2 cars of my guests parked on the street and he has always rang the door bell and apologized and given his insurance information in both cases.

I will keep this tidbit of information in mind when I purchase my next house for sure. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
In Texas parking opposite a drive is a parking violation. But it likely would not mean much in a civl case on blame per centage anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts