Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 65K miles. While driving home from vacation, the dash computer suddenly read FCW/LDW System Failure and the green D for Drive on the transmission indicator is flashing. Otherwise, the van is driving fine. It is not a hot day and is overcast, so I do not think heat is the issue. Any ideas what it may be or how to fix?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Flashing D typically indicates that the ECU has registered a transmission fault. While this may not illuminate the Check Engine Light, there is a still (usually) a code related to the fault. I believe that some of the better OBD II scanners can read transmission codes, but the cheaper ones can not. The dealer certainly can and I'm sure any decent indy mechanic can.

If I were you, I'd have it checked ASAP. Transmission issues are not something you want to ignore. It could be something as simple as a sensor going bad, but you don't want a bad sensor since a bad sensor can't warn you about impending issues.

My guess on the FCW/LDW lights is that the ECU automatically disables them for certain transmission faults as a fail-safe of sorts. (I've seen FCW/LFW indicators caused by Engine Coolant Temp issues.) Again, that's just a guess. I'd be concentrating on the flashing D first and foremost.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
I can confirm that the FCW/LDW are red herrings as they will come on indicating that they are disabled because of the underlying issue.
A 2016 with 65k? Ever had the transmission fluid changed? You are two service intervals behind now. There is a service bulletin on the transmission software you might have a dealer check on. See the "stickies" above for more information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts