Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yestreday afternoon out of nowhere my dash started to show FCW system failed and the the engine light and LDW light came on. Headed home husband inspected the whole car and diconnected battery then reconnected. All warning lights and codes disappeared. This morning was out driving and still no warnings appeared, then this afternoon I had to drive to the library and when I turned on the car same thing happened with the warnings and fail codes popping up, but before the failure code popped up this time I got the code A13, which is oil change, rotate tires and replace transmission fluid. Could there be a a connection with the FCW failed and A13 code? I plan to take it to Jiffy Lube tomorrow to get the oil and transmission fluid taken care of. We have a 6 hour drive on Saturday to pick up our son from camp and I am so worried about something happening with the van.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Oil change reminder and FCW light aren't related. You should hook up a scanner to scan the FCW system. You can drive with the FCW and LDW lights on but not the check engine light, oil light, etc.

BTW, I wouldn't take any car to jiffy lube. Take it to a good independent shop.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yestreday afternoon out of nowhere my dash started to show FCW system failed and the the engine light and LDW light came on. Headed home husband inspected the whole car and diconnected battery then reconnected. All warning lights and codes disappeared. This morning was out driving and still no warnings appeared, then this afternoon I had to drive to the library and when I turned on the car same thing happened with the warnings and fail codes popping up, but before the failure code popped up this time I got the code A13, which is oil change, rotate tires and replace transmission fluid. Could there be a a connection with the FCW failed and A13 code? I plan to take it to Jiffy Lube tomorrow to get the oil and transmission fluid taken care of. We have a 6 hour drive on Saturday to pick up our son from camp and I am so worried about something happening with the van.
The LDW/FCW are not related.

good on the fluid changes and service, as MrRanger said best to go to a shop that could scan it for you.

many reasons for it to fail.. sensors to start, with the mirrors have sensors in them as well.

one of the threads here, mentioned their FCW/LDW issue was affected by extreme heat.
I think one of the mirrors was the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are in Maryland and it has been very hot and humid. Plus on Tuesday we got 3.50 inches of rain from the TS that came through. I'll take it in tomorrow to an independent shop that can run a scan. Thanks

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
We are in Maryland and it has been very hot and humid. Plus on Tuesday we got 3.50 inches of rain from the TS that came through. I'll take it in tomorrow to an independent shop that can run a scan. Thanks
Is the message saying the systems are overheated?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,072 Posts
A13 code is not a problem, just upcoming maintenance, unrelated.

The check-engine light will turn on the other two (FCW/LDW), so just get the codes scanned using any standard OBD-II scanner and report back.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
+1

My 17 EX-L is the first vehicle I've had (other than rentals) with LDW and FCW. Not quite sure how I survived 50+ years of driving without it. 🙃

Driving in a torrential thunderstorm the other night, where the visibility sucked, the LDW didn't do a damn thing. Trust me, I tested it. Bad driving conditions is exactly when you want a "safety" feature to work.

FCW? That activates at the strangest times. I hear it beep, I see the light flash and I say to myself "Self, what could possibly have turned that on?" I can see no reason to brake or even take my foot off the accelerator.

Granted, the Adaptive Cruise Control on the SUV I rented was pretty cool. Since that essentially serves as an FCW system and actually takes action, I'm all for that. My daughter's 19 HR-V EX-L has that. It's pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
+1

My 17 EX-L is the first vehicle I've had (other than rentals) with LDW and FCW. Not quite sure how I survived 50+ years of driving without it. 🙃

Driving in a torrential thunderstorm the other night, where the visibility sucked, the LDW didn't do a damn thing. Trust me, I tested it. Bad driving conditions is exactly when you want a "safety" feature to work.

FCW? That activates at the strangest times. I hear it beep, I see the light flash and I say to myself "Self, what could possibly have turned that on?" I can see no reason to brake or even take my foot off the accelerator.

Granted, the Adaptive Cruise Control on the SUV I rented was pretty cool. Since that essentially serves as an FCW system and actually takes action, I'm all for that. My daughter's 19 HR-V EX-L has that. It's pretty sweet.
I live where it shows, if road slush freezes to the bumper on the highway, it goes bananas and has to be turned off until the the ice is banged off or the vehicle is washed.

mentioned in a previous post about Toyota's version of FCW being downright dangerous.
some colleagues in a Toyota rental cruising along in their lane, a person turning left off the highway and not in their lane, the collision warning freaks out and slams on the brakes stops the car dead on the highway.

seems like a legit safety feature.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
mentioned in a previous post about Toyota's version of FCW being downright dangerous.
some colleagues in a Toyota rental cruising along in their lane, a person turning left off the highway and not in their lane, the collision warning freaks out and slams on the brakes stops the car dead on the highway.
At the risk of hijacking this thread...

Wow! It happened to be a Toyota Pathfinder that I rented a few weeks ago. I remember chatting with SWMBO and wondering about how responsive it would be in a true emergency. It worked fine during ACC mode, even bringing the vehicle to a full (but gentle) stop when I followed a vehicle off the highway and to the stop sign at the end of the exit lane. Where my curiosity lies is what happens if a vehicle suddenly veers into my lane, like 2 feet in front of me. How much "overlap" does there need to be for the brakes to engage?

The other question I have is this: How do these systems react in those situations where I use the "brake and release" technique to give the guy behind me just a little more room to stop? You know, hit it hard to get rid of most of the speed and then pump the peddle to control the distance between the vehicle in front as well as the one behind. Does the system turn off as long as the driver is braking in any amount or is it going to override what I am trying to do?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
At the risk of hijacking this thread...

Wow! It happened to be a Toyota Pathfinder that I rented a few weeks ago. I remember chatting with SWMBO and wondering about how responsive it would be in a true emergency. It worked fine during ACC mode, even bringing the vehicle to a full (but gentle) stop when I followed a vehicle off the highway and to the stop sign at the end of the exit lane. Where my curiosity lies is what happens if a vehicle suddenly veers into my lane, like 2 feet in front of me. How much "overlap" does there need to be for the brakes to engage?

The other question I have is this: How do these systems react in those situations where I use the "brake and release" technique to give the guy behind me just a little more room to stop? You know, hit it hard to get rid of most of the speed and then pump the peddle to control the distance between the vehicle in front as well as the one behind. Does the system turn off as long as the driver is braking in any amount or is it going to override what I am trying to do?
not sure...
There is no substitute for a good driver and properly maintained equipment.
IMO

Sure computers have proven they can shift an automatic faster than a human can on a manual, but we need to look no further than Boeing 737 Max to see that software / computers are now killing people.
Tesla self driving also comes to mind.

nothing like being a field guinea pig for experimental tech.

but we digress...

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,072 Posts
FCW/LDW are done via camera(s) located behind the rearview mirror, so they can't be very advanced (no radar/lidar/infrared/etc.). It is just a warning system - the tech wasn't ready for prime time when the vehicle was designed. In my opinion, it works best for those times when the driver is drowsy and/or distracted. When its bad driving conditions, you should be paying 100% attention and can do a better job than the gen4 Odyssey system. There are many conditions where it gives false or no warning - luckily, it doesn't actually intervene!

I do believe that all the driving aides will be overall positive, but there will still be mistakes/issues along the way. Just keep in mind how many human errors cause accidents - way more often than the 'machines' do.

I'll still be happily driving my no-abs, no traction control, no airbag, manual transmission car(s) whenever I can though. ;)

-Charlie

Reactions: Ticket
1 - 15 of 15 Posts