Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home and FCW system failed started blinking on display as well as check engine light. 2017 Odyssey

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,592 Posts
The Check Engine light is the key here. It automatically triggers the other lights to get you to hit the panic button a bit sooner than you otherwise might.

Get the trouble codes read from your van (if you don't have a reader, take it to Autozone and they'll read them for free for you) and then come back to us and tell us what the codes are.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Was the check engine light blinking or just the FCW light blinking? A blinking check engine light is a serious misfire that is damaging the catalytic converters. If that's occurring you need to stop driving it.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was the check engine light blinking or just the FCW light blinking? A blinking check engine light is a serious misfire that is damaging the catalytic converters. If that's occurring you need to stop driving it.
My wife and I just got home from seeing our van get towed away for the same reasons: a blinking check engine light (we could both feel the transition from normal engine to misfiring engine) and the FCW light turned on at the same time! We pulled over, called the dealership and asked what we should do. They said wait 10 minutes and start the car back up and see if it still throws the code. Waited 10 and another 15, same issue every time. Called a tow truck, having it brought directly to the dealership. Car is only 3 yrs old and it’s never had any issues, and we have kept its service up to date with all the dealerships recommendations!

Will find out Monday what the heck happened to cause the blinking check engine light!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Will find out Monday what the heck happened to cause the blinking check engine light!
VCM issues. Read/search on here about the VCM system and how to disable it.

-Charlei

·
Registered
4 Posts
VCM issues. Read/search on here about the VCM system and how to disable it.

-Charlei
So it turns out that it is piston ring failure. Our Odyssey is only 3 years old, and our previous one had this same issue (part of a class action law suit). The same dealership that we traded in our old problematic van sold us a new one that had the same issue!

We are temporarily in a Pilot, and they said they would need a full week with the van. My wife and I are literally floored. How could we get so unlucky? They said that piston ring failure is uncommon on our 2017 model.

Our older 2012 Odyssey had the piston ring failure and after that it was downhill with problem after problem. Eventually we declared it a lemon due to the 1000’s of $ we poured into fixes and the dealership agreed to give us a good deal on a new one because of our bad luck.

Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty on our 2017 Odyssey?!

Anyone else ever had the Piston Ring failure that causes the engine to start misfiring and lose power and check engine light starts blinking??

I may never buy an Odyssey again!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
So it turns out that it is piston ring failure. Our Odyssey is only 3 years old, and our previous one had this same issue (part of a class action law suit). The same dealership that we traded in our old problematic van sold us a new one that had the same issue!

We are temporarily in a Pilot, and they said they would need a full week with the van. My wife and I are literally floored. How could we get so unlucky? They said that piston ring failure is uncommon on our 2017 model.

Our older 2012 Odyssey had the piston ring failure and after that it was downhill with problem after problem. Eventually we declared it a lemon due to the 1000’s of $ we poured into fixes and the dealership agreed to give us a good deal on a new one because of our bad luck.

Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty on our 2017 Odyssey?!

Anyone else ever had the Piston Ring failure that causes the engine to start misfiring and lose power and check engine light starts blinking??

I may never buy an Odyssey again!
don't blame the dealer, blame Honda.

its clear you have more money than time, otherwise you would of taken the time read all the VCM issues on this forum and taken the appropriate action.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
It's not piston ring failure either. They just get carbon'ed up from being turned off to save a few pennies worth of fuel. Blame your government for requiring this. Just disable the VCM. It's $125 for a VCMTunerII. Install it and forget it. You will get many miles, trouble free from the VCM related issues. You'll probably be happier with how it runs and drives anyway. With that disabled it is tough to beat these vans.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's not piston ring failure either. They just get carbon'ed up from being turned off to save a few pennies worth of fuel. Blame your government for requiring this. Just disable the VCM. It's $125 for a VCMTunerII. Install it and forget it. You will get many miles, trouble free from the VCM related issues. You'll probably be happier with how it runs and drives anyway. With that disabled it is tough to beat these vans.
Don't forget a piston soak and changed plugs.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Don't forget a piston soak and changed plugs.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
That's if the dealer isn't replacing the dirty rings. Even if they aren't, I've never had to to soak pistons. New spark plugs and disabling VCM has always fixed cars I've had the issue with. You can put a treatment in if you want but it isn't usually necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much guys. Funny that you think I’ve got more $ than time. Not sure how to respond to that other than say, “I wish.”

I certainly need to look into the VCMTunerII as the solution. I have a buddy that is constantly tuning his Chevy with a BigStuff3 aftermarket tuner, so I understand just a little of what is being said here.

The dealership is fixing this for free because it’s under warranty, but when they are done it sounds like it’s time for VCMTunerII. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
The dealership is fixing this for free because it’s under warranty, but when they are done it sounds like it’s time for VCMTunerII. Thanks for the tip.
^^This. It's not really any kind of tune. It just tricks the computer into thinking the engine is just a little bit cooler than it really is, preventing VCM from ever activating. They've been in use many years with no ill-effects. I've had nearly every kind designed on my van and they all work great. The VCMTunerII is a smart box that monitors the actual coolant temp and sends a temp to the computer. Should an overheat occur the smart box will send the actual temp to the computer so you will know. The passive resistor style work very well but can, on occasion, set a check engine light and they don't tell you actual temp should an overheat occur. They also will allow some VCM activation when the engine gets hotter than normal, such as in stop and go traffic. The small amount of VCM activation doesn't hurt anything. They work very well, though, as overheats on these engines are rare unless coolant is lost. I've run both and had no issues with either.

The VCMTunerII is my current favorite since it will allow me to see an overheat but it also has an accelerometer in it that knows when the vehicle is moving. If the vehicle sits perfectly still for something like 2-3 minutes it will turn send actual temp to the computer. This is nice when doing cooling system maintenance on the vehicle as various computer resets and relearns are based on the computer seeing the engine come up to full temp.

Aside from this small items there are no side effects.

Reactions: dj06482

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^This. It's not really any kind of tune. It just tricks the computer into thinking the engine is just a little bit cooler than it really is, preventing VCM from ever activating. They've been in use many years with no ill-effects. I've had nearly every kind designed on my van and they all work great. The VCMTunerII is a smart box that monitors the actual coolant temp and sends a temp to the computer. Should an overheat occur the smart box will send the actual temp to the computer so you will know. The passive resistor style work very well but can, on occasion, set a check engine light and they don't tell you actual temp should an overheat occur. They also will allow some VCM activation when the engine gets hotter than normal, such as in stop and go traffic. The small amount of VCM activation doesn't hurt anything. They work very well, though, as overheats on these engines are rare unless coolant is lost. I've run both and had no issues with either.

The VCMTunerII is my current favorite since it will allow me to see an overheat but it also has an accelerometer in it that knows when the vehicle is moving. If the vehicle sits perfectly still for something like 2-3 minutes it will turn send actual temp to the computer. This is nice when doing cooling system maintenance on the vehicle as various computer resets and relearns are based on the computer seeing the engine come up to full temp.

Very informative. Thank you John Clark!

·
Registered
534 Posts
don't blame the dealer, blame Honda.

its clear you have more money than time, otherwise you would of taken the time read all the VCM issues on this forum and taken the appropriate action.
Wow, pretty harsh statement there. Deep, cleansing breath... ;)

We have four families with Odyssey's of this era in our neighborhood. I have told every one of them about VCM issues, forwarded them the links to current threads here, explained and expounded and do you want to guess how many of them have bought a Muzzle. Zero. People just will not believe that the great "Honda" would ever allow this to happen, it can't be true! We look like Internet loons talking about all this stuff to most people, UNTIL there's an issue. Once they throw their first errors, the ever present P0303 or the like, THEN they start to believe. They pull Plug #3, it's covered in oil, the van is running rough, THEN they start to read with a different perspective.

When I arrived here I came from a different level of experience and understanding, and "bought" into the Muzzle concept because we had someone in the family that had to have their piston rings under warranty replaced on their early Odyssey. So when I read the VCM was the cause, I believed. And the only "risk" I could see was lower gas mileage and running on all six cylinders all the time, not much of a risk really.

Everyone arrives here from different levels of knowledge and experience, I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts

We have four families with Odyssey's of this era in our neighborhood. I have told every one of them about VCM issues, forwarded them the links to current threads here, explained and expounded and do you want to guess how many of them have bought a Muzzle. Zero. People just will not believe that the great "Honda" would ever allow this to happen, it can't be true! We look like Internet loons talking about all this stuff to most people, UNTIL there's an issue. Once they throw their first errors, the ever present P0303 or the like, THEN they start to believe. They pull Plug #3, it's covered in oil, the van is running rough, THEN they start to read with a different perspective.

When I arrived here I came from a different level of experience and understanding, and "bought" into the Muzzle concept because we had someone in the family that had to have their piston rings under warranty replaced on their early Odyssey. So when I read the VCM was the cause, I believed. And the only "risk" I could see was lower gas mileage and running on all six cylinders all the time, not much of a risk really.

Everyone arrives here from different levels of knowledge and experience, I'll just leave it at that.
This is all correct. I've had people think I'm "upselling" them something they don't need. That is until they come with misfires and fouled plugs. Then they're happy to have a fix. The best thing is to install before there's a problem to begin with.

Reactions: AndrewS816

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

When it comes to educating Honda owners on VCM, esp ones who are experiencing issues, being nice is ineffective.

Same issues as you have identified. Colleagues at work or in the neighborhood with Gen 4 odysseys and 2nd gen pilots, tell them about VCM issues and to be proactive, they disregard the advice.
Guess i'm not a Honda engineer.

Some people need to FEEL in order to learn.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My husband just installed a muzzler on our 2014 Honda Odyssey due to oil fouling . Now I’m getting the FCW LDW message on my computer. Can someone tell me what can we do for this problem ? Is there a fix, will it clear on its own or do I need to take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Now I’m getting the FCW LDW message on my computer. Can someone tell me what can we do for this problem ? Is there a fix, will it clear on its own or do I need to take it to a dealer?
If the check-engine light is still on, reset the ECU. The FCW and LDW lights will be on whenever the check engine light is on.

Hopefully the spark plugs were also changed at the same time as the muzzler was installed.

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
When it comes to educating Honda owners on VCM, esp ones who are experiencing issues, being nice is ineffective.

Same issues as you have identified. Colleagues at work or in the neighborhood with Gen 4 odysseys and 2nd gen pilots, tell them about VCM issues and to be proactive, they disregard the advice.
Guess i'm not a Honda engineer.

Some people need to FEEL in order to learn.
Wow! So much information here my head is spinning. Just bought a 2015 Odyssey and last night everything went wrong. Clearly the engine is misfiring and all the same lights came on. I’m having it towed to the dealership and my extended warranty will cover everything.
Will they install a muzzled or is this something we need to install ourselves?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Will they install a muzzled or is this something we need to install ourselves?
You will need to do it yourself. And make 100% sure they are going to cover it before they open it up and you are on the hook for $3k+ in bills. (sometimes things like "excessive carbon build-up" are excluded from coverage - which is what they will claim caused your issues)

If you think/know they aren't going to cover it 100% (or minus some small deductible), just get new spark plugs and install a VCM disabling device. I'll clean itself up from there.

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 29 Posts