Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- Here goes.

Background-
I own a 2001 Ody and it has 211k miles. I know about the common trans problems all too well. Original trans was replaced at 101k under warranty- #2 transmission was rebuilt at 190k. #3(rebuilt) transmission acting up and was rebuilt again totally at 206k miles. NOW after 5k after being rebuilt, I have the TCS light coming on and then after 10-15 seconds the other lights (engine, etc) come on and the engine kills. What the heck... Seriously- 40mph driving and within 20 seconds its dead and rolling.... Very dangerous.. After you kill it and try to restart it , it will finally restart. But after 20 minutes it happened again...

Has anyone heard of such? Just Crazy.. Plan to get the codes on it this evening or tomorrow but wanted to research it first (as Autozone is 25 miles away and I didnt want to get stranded trying to get the code)

Thanks-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also wanted to add that the Catalatic converter code was on before-

Will the Catalytic converter actually make the engine stall like this??

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
It could be the ignition switch defect. My Ody used to cut out unexpectedly while in motion. Changed out the switch for the newer version. Problem solved. Plenty of info on that in this forum.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Plugged converters will act like that as well. With 200+K miles I'd seriously give that a look as the problem. They will break down internally and plugs up the passages inside. Can't tell from looking at it from outside. PIA to get it out and check it though. You could try a used converter from something with less than 100K miles from a junk yard but that is up to you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Plugged converters will act like that as well. With 200+K miles I'd seriously give that a look as the problem. They will break down internally and plugs up the passages inside. Can't tell from looking at it from outside. PIA to get it out and check it though. You could try a used converter from something with less than 100K miles from a junk yard but that is up to you.
I think if the converter is that plugged it will get crazy hot, maybe even red hot on a dark evening. Might be able to check that after a few miles of driving.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Todays converters don't plug like the old ones. The old converters had a two inch ball with the catalyst wires running from it to the case. The ball would break loose and plug the pipe. Today the catalyst is like a screen. It can burn out but there is nothing to plug the tailpipe. Judging by the ops post I think he would be best off taking it to a mechanic who can analyze what is happening. We can guess everything in the van but it won't help without a knowledgeable diagnosis of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts