Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got rid of our 2005 Touring edition. It has been trouble since day 1, and by the time we dumped it last week at 57K miles it had developed a new engine problem, and a transmission shudder.

I'm not going to recite the long list of problems we had with it. I'm certainly happy I bought HondaCare. Now I can also get a pro-rated refund because we still have almost two years left on the contract.

I will not buy another Honda for at least a decade until they get their act together again. This has been the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad you got that monkey off your back. Our experience has been the opposite. 104,000 miles and no issues at all. Fluid changes, 1 new set of brake pads and 1 new set of tires and all is well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What did you replace the Odyssey with? I looked and looked and couldn't find anything better than it so wound up with another Honda. At least minivan wise I couldn't find anything better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think maybe some of your bad experience could be attributed to 2005 being the 1st model year of the new gen. Before buying our 2006 we rented a 2005 and liked it, despite a few foibles. So when we bought our 2006 we were pleasantly surprised that the issues we noted in the 2005 (exhaust resonance comes to mind) were fixed for the 2006.

Sorry you had a bad experience, and good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wish I could afford to shed mine. I'm not planning to give Honda a decade... I'll never buy another one. Our previous Chrysler vans were considerably more trouble free. Go figure...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I feel the same way, there will always be a lemon out there, I had a terrible experience with my 2 month old 2010 Odyssey and it's factory paint, I ended up "swapping" it with another new 2010 after some fighting with Honda Canada and the dealership. Hope whatever you purchase next will serve you better.... don't get the first model year of the new 2011 Sienna! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
The minivan provides the space and functionality I want. SUVs just don't compare. The only other vehicle I considered was Ford's SuperCrew. My wife won that argument. The SuperCrew is spacious and comfy. MPG isn't an issue for me.

I just purchased a 2010. We had previously had a 2006. PAX and all, we never had a problem. Our tires weathered the PAX storm quite well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It means a lot to have a vehicle that meets all your needs and drives quite well too boot. Even without the greatest reliability or quality...the right vehicle for the job goes a long way. We've had a ton of problems with ours although most were during warranty period (i.e first year glitches). We've recently had some steering issues but overall it's still a great vehicle. Our Tahoe which the Ody replaced was nearly flawless from a reliabiliity standpoint, but just couldn't compete on space and comfort.

I recently spent time in both 2010 Sienna and T&C and even with the problems we've had, I'd still buy the Ody again over those. The 2011 Sienna may be a different story but I don't have seat time in that one. From the reviews I've read it seems to have a couple deal-breakers for me: sliding door operation, power 3rd row operation, no steering feel for starters. Things to look closely at anyway.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here's an interesting review of the 2011 Sienna.

http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/cars/sienna

skinny2 said:
It means a lot to have a vehicle that meets all your needs and drives quite well too boot. Even without the greatest reliability or quality...the right vehicle for the job goes a long way. We've had a ton of problems with ours although most were during warranty period (i.e first year glitches). We've recently had some steering issues but overall it's still a great vehicle. Our Tahoe which the Ody replaced was nearly flawless from a reliabiliity standpoint, but just couldn't compete on space and comfort.

I recently spent time in both 2010 Sienna and T&C and even with the problems we've had, I'd still buy the Ody again over those. The 2011 Sienna may be a different story but I don't have seat time in that one. From the reviews I've read it seems to have a couple deal-breakers for me: sliding door operation, power 3rd row operation, no steering feel for starters. Things to look closely at anyway.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Interesting seems to be the word of the day.

I had one of those 4cyl Dodge's...an '89 short version with 2.5L and a 5-speed manual transmission. It may have gotten 26mpg...I don't recall. Nobody cared at that time because gas was <$1.00/gal. It could light the tires up through 2 gears and was on the original clutch at 200k miles after teaching three people (myself included) how to drive a stick. Acceleration however was abysmal to say the least. Especially with more than one or two pax.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Modeler, I feel for you, man. Hope you find what your looking for.

skinny2 said:
... I had one of those 4cyl Dodge's...an '89 short version with 2.5L and a 5-speed manual transmission. .... was on the original clutch at 200k miles after teaching three people (myself included) how to drive a stick ...
skinny2, there's something really special about those old short wheelbase I-4 Chrysler vans. You couldn't kill those little guys. I think Chrysler went way, way, way backwards in reliability and build quality when they started making them bigger with V-6's.

OF

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
0dyfamily said:
Modeler, I feel for you, man. Hope you find what your looking for.

skinny2, there's something really special about those old short wheelbase I-4 Chrysler vans. You couldn't kill those little guys. I think Chrysler went way, way, way backwards in reliability and build quality when they started making them bigger with V-6's.

OF
Yes it was quite possibly the most reliable vehicle that's graced our family. It was common to see it running around town for several years after we let it go as well. IIRC, the only two problems we ever had with that vehicle was a leak in the A/C system and some sort of brake problem...i think it needed new calipers. Got 80k miles out of the factory tires even....back when 14" tires seemed to work fine on minivans. I drove it for three years as a teen (it was better than nothing and fairly new...) and then mom drove it for a number of years. She sold it and bought a '96 Caravan with the 4cyl but this time an automatic (3-speed) but still hand-crank windows. She still has that one with over 200k miles and hardly any problems. Uses it to haul the dogs and a snow vehicle. She just recently bought a 2007 this time with the V6 and 4-speed auto, remote entry, power windows....she says she hates all that stuff but impossible to get one without these days.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My dad used to have a 1988 Chrysler Voyager which had a V6 (not the grand model).

It was great for a family of six, but the engine started to have issues ie. pressing the accelerator quickly will cause the engine to stall.

My dad thought it was ok, just had to know how to press the pedal properly. I warned him that it was a safety issue and get it fixed.

He didn't get it fixed, but it did get stolen from the Home Depot parking lot when he was working the night shift.

I guess its a good sign... those idiots who stole his van would have killed them selves in that van esp if it stalls in the middle of an intersetion lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts