Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2007 used odyssey.

I can feel the tranmission shifts when the vehicle moves from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear.

Also when it is in 4th or 5th gear and at around 45 miles speed and I come to a halt by applying the brakes softly, I hear and feel two distinct noises before the vehicle comes to a stop. The jerk can be felt by both driver and passenger and the brake pedal also makes you feel "dugh" "dugh" vibration and sound.

Even when the vehicle is say at 50 mph speeds and you take the foot off the pedal, I can feel the downshifts in the tranmission when it shifts to lower gears.

The dealer changed the torque converter and applied the software updates but the problem exists.

Is this normal behaviour?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Feeling every up and down shift is a normal "feature" of a Honda automatic transmission. It's due to the design. If you poke around this site, you'll see countless posts on this very topic.

Joel

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've owned 6 Hondas in the last 13 years. All of the automatics feel like a manual transmission being controlled by a computer. My theory is that by making the engagement of the gears a little on the rough side, they are able to extend the longevity of the transmission. In recent years, when Honda tried to make their tranny's smoother, by engaging the automatic clutch more slowly, and thereby reducing the feeling of the gears switching, the buildup of debris from the clutch would overwhelm the transmission, and this debris would increase the tendency of failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I can feel the tranmission shifts when the vehicle moves from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear.
This might be my personal thing but I usually replace all (and I mean ALL!) the fluids whenever I buy a used vehicle. If you don't have a history for your van to verify when ATF was last changed then have it changed and see what happens. It won't hurt if done properly - i.e. no flush machines etc. Even if you do it at the dealer it is still cheap insurance against future tranny problems.

Also when it is in 4th or 5th gear and at around 45 miles speed and I come to a halt by applying the brakes softly, I hear and feel two distinct noises before the vehicle comes to a stop. The jerk can be felt by both driver and passenger and the brake pedal also makes you feel "dugh" "dugh" vibration and sound.
If you feel speed-related vibration through the brake pedal then most likely you have warped brake rotor(s). Front ones more likely than rears. And depending how bad it is you might feel it through the whole body so no surprize than passengers feel it. Have it checked or just replace them both - these days they are cheap and should be considered consumables much like brake pads. It is a fairly easy DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies....Gives me more comfort.

I did change the tranmission and brake fluids ata honda dealer when I bought it used

·
Registered
143 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
I've owned 6 Hondas in the last 13 years. All of the automatics feel like a manual transmission being controlled by a computer. My theory is that by making the engagement of the gears a little on the rough side, they are able to extend the longevity of the transmission. In recent years, when Honda tried to make their tranny's smoother, by engaging the automatic clutch more slowly, and thereby reducing the feeling of the gears switching, the buildup of debris from the clutch would overwhelm the transmission, and this debris would increase the tendency of failure.
+1 exactly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts