Honda Odyssey Forum banner

321 - 340 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I've seen almost no change in mileage. Definitely not enough to make VCM worth the money, or worth the chance of problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Disabled VCM over the weekend and the improvement is immediate and noticeable. Probably 90% of the shuddering/hesitating and noisy uncertain engine behavior that has always bothered me about the car, and which I always blamed on the transmission, is simply gone. Big improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought one from you. My EX only has 50 miles on it. I didn't notice anything other than compression slowing with the eco light on, which I don't need. The brakes work fine. After the trip planned next week (700 miles) hopefully I'll have your gizmo. After that 700 mile break-in, changing to Mobile one, adding a trans cooler, syn trans oil, after market Class III, light harness. Will be installing fog lights, as soon as I recover from writing a 30k check. Not my first mini-van, but is my first Honda. This forum is a great thing.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Just bought one from you. My EX only has 50 miles on it. I didn't notice anything other than compression slowing with the eco light on, which I don't need. The brakes work fine. After the trip planned next week (700 miles) hopefully I'll have your gizmo. After that 700 mile break-in, changing to Mobile one, adding a trans cooler, syn trans oil, after market Class III, light harness. Will be installing fog lights, as soon as I recover from writing a 30k check. Not my first mini-van, but is my first Honda. This forum is a great thing.
Not sure who you're talking to but, if it was me, I don't sell the Muzzler. I do use one, though, and have had nothing but positive results.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pretty sure it didn't. John is here to help. He was most likely just making sure the correct information got out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So.... I just bought a new 2016 EX-L with 6 miles on it. I've been spending time reading through all the info on disabling the VCM. I've seen the ECO light some on when driving on the freeway. But, I haven't noticed any of the shuttering or jerking people have mentioned. The van drive quite smoothly.

Is the VCM issue mostly related to older Odysseys? Is it something to be concerned about on a 2016? Thanks for any wisdoms!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
So.... I just bought a new 2016 EX-L with 6 miles on it. I've been spending time reading through all the info on disabling the VCM. I've seen the ECO light some on when driving on the freeway. But, I haven't noticed any of the shuttering or jerking people have mentioned. The van drive quite smoothly.

Is the VCM issue mostly related to older Odysseys? Is it something to be concerned about on a 2016? Thanks for any wisdoms!
The shuddering and jerking you describe generally get more pronounced as the engine mounts wear out and spark plugs get fouled with oil, which takes time and mileage. A brand-new Odyssey is unlikely to exhibit this behaviour - our 2015 didn't have any obvious problems when I installed the VCMuzzler. But the damage and wear occurs at all times that VCM is active, and the effect is not limited to older models. There is no guarantee that any given vehicle will have problems, because many do not. But there is no way to tell in advance whether you have a vehicle that will develop problems later on.

I would urge you to order a VCMuzzler for your Ody - the sooner, the better. The van will run better and most likely last longer. If you do not, by the time you potentially get any shuddering or jerking or other driveability issues, it will be too late - the damage will have been done by then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also just purchased a new 16 EX-L. It had 40 miles on it at the dealership. My wife will be the primary driver so i will have to drive it to see how often the VCM kicks on.

As a precaution i think i may buy the VCMuzzler just to be safe. We didn't bother to get the extended warranty (I believe it was for a total of 8 years/100,000 miles) and now i'm thinking we should have. I always stayed away from the warranties as they are usually a waste of money but it sounds like a lot of people are having issues with the VCM and a $2,000 cost for the warranty might have been worth it. I'm just worried that by installing the VCMuzzler it will void Honda's 3 year/36,000 mile warranty if i have any issues during that time. I know Verbatim said in the sticky thread that he doesn't think Honda will void your warranty, but you are modifying the car. How do we know for certain that Honda can or can't tell that a mod was done?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I also just purchased a new 16 EX-L. It had 40 miles on it at the dealership. My wife will be the primary driver so i will have to drive it to see how often the VCM kicks on.

As a precaution i think i may buy the VCMuzzler just to be safe. We didn't bother to get the extended warranty (I believe it was for a total of 8 years/100,000 miles) and now i'm thinking we should have. I always stayed away from the warranties as they are usually a waste of money but it sounds like a lot of people are having issues with the VCM and a $2,000 cost for the warranty might have been worth it. I'm just worried that by installing the VCMuzzler it will void Honda's 3 year/36,000 mile warranty if i have any issues during that time. I know Verbatim said in the sticky thread that he doesn't think Honda will void your warranty, but you are modifying the car. How do we know for certain that Honda can or can't tell that a mod was done?
It most definitely, absolutely, without a doubt, will NOT void your warranty. In fact, if you ask Verbatim he has sold many VCMuzzlers to Honda dealers. Anyone with a VCM Odyssey should DEFINITELY install a VCMuzzler when new. This will ensure many miles of flawless service and little to no chance of plug fouling and ring damage. If it really concerns you that much, the dealer never has to know about it as it's completely reversible. You can literally remove it or install it in 2 minutes or less before taking it in.

However, that said, I don't see the need unless you have some issue going on that that is going to require computer diagnostics and resets. The only reason I recommend removing it is that, in some cases, the engine temp has to come up to a certain temperature, as seen by the PCM, to complete certain computer resets and relearns. Aside from that I wouldn't give it another thought. Install it and forget about it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What's the typical resistor used for hot climates (Las Vegas, NV)?
Each van is slightly different, and the only real way to determine the correct resistor value is trial and error. Always start with the blue resistor. If VCM kicks in frequently on the highway, then you need a higher value. Try the red one in that case. If you start getting a check engine light with the red, contact verbatim for a different value resistor, like the orange one.

Note: Make sure you only install the vcmuzzler or change the resistor when the engine is stone cold (left overnight is best). Otherwise, you will get a false check engine light (CEL).

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Just follow the instructions included with the Muzzler. Everything you need to know is there. There is no set resistor for any climate. As mentioned already, each van is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I kept having the ECO light come on, since I am in daily rush hour traffic for 35 miles. I often am stopped or close to it for enough time for the van to heat up enough to enable the VCM. I got the orange resistor and switched to it. So far it is just enough of a difference to prevent the VCM from engaging when sitting in traffic for a bit. We'll see if it does the trick long term.

After over 2000 miles with the red resistor, I have not seen any change in the gas mileage.

John

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have the blue resistor on. Been working great so far until this morning.

Cold front moved in last night in Houston, when driving on freeway, the temp gauge would read lower than during summer time.

After 20 min of driving, CEL came on. Wondering if anyone had any issues in colder climate? Even blue resistor is too much when outside temp is low.

Or would it be something else?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why would you think the CEL is related to the Muzzler. There are thousands of reasons it will light. Is there some other evidence pointing toward that piece of equipment?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have the blue resistor on. Been working great so far until this morning.

Cold front moved in last night in Houston, when driving on freeway, the temp gauge would read lower than during summer time.

After 20 min of driving, CEL came on. Wondering if anyone had any issues in colder climate? Even blue resistor is too much when outside temp is low.

Or would it be something else?
+

Probably something else. I have had mine since May and have 10,000 miles on it. No CELs, but some ECOs in hot weather climbing a long hill. The lowest temp I've had it in is 15 with no issues. Will know more as winter gets going, but I don't expect any issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why would you think the CEL is related to the Muzzler. There are thousands of reasons it will light. Is there some other evidence pointing toward that piece of equipment?
+

Probably something else. I have had mine since May and have 10,000 miles on it. No CELs, but some ECOs in hot weather climbing a long hill. The lowest temp I've had it in is 15 with no issues. Will know more as winter gets going, but I don't expect any issues.
Will probably go thru process of elimination. I don't think it is related to muzz, however, I did notice that the temp gauge was a lot lower than where it used to be after warming up.

1st thing, disconnect battery, then see what happens, if the check engine will come back on not. If it does, then I will pull the code and see what it is.

The reason I posted was the the Muzz never saw the cold temp (lowest since it was installed), so thought I would post it here to see what others have seen in cold climate.

@Golferjack The ECOs should not come on climbing long hill as it requires more power to climb up hill Need all the power...maybe on downhill, it may come on, but that doesn't sound right. But, who knows.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Update:

The VCM on my 2010 was disabled on 5/3/14 at 47592 miles via unplugging the OP sensor method. I installed Muzzler at 71317 miles on 4/21/2015. Currently odometer is 100481 miles. Total miles VCM disabled is 52889. There have been ZERO problems operating this vehicle with VCM disabled over 32 months. There have been ZERO MIL illuminations during the period Muzzler has been installed.

The fix is bullet proof. Install it and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have a 2014 Ody TE. Runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil at 39K miles. I'd like to keep it that way, so I got my VCMuzzler and installed it about 2 weeks ago. Followed the directions, and there has not been even one issue since.
Have not seen ECO/VCM light on even once since then....we will see during the upcoming summer.
Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the purchase and ease of installation.

I don't know if anyone else can relate to this, but I have noticed that the weird engine braking sensation while coasting seems to be greatly reduced. This sensation used to drive me nuts when I first got the van, since I had upgraded from a non VCM Odyssey. It seems to coast much easier now without VCM activated.

321 - 340 of 379 Posts
About this Discussion
378 Replies
113 Participants
John Clark
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing