Honda Odyssey Forum banner

341 - 360 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I don't know if anyone else can relate to this, but I have noticed that the weird engine braking sensation while coasting seems to be greatly reduced. This sensation used to drive me nuts when I first got the van, since I had upgraded from a non VCM Odyssey. It seems to coast much easier now without VCM activated.
I don't have a 2014 and I could be way off base, but this makes sense to me.

With VCM enabled, the VCM cylinders are unpowered while decelerating and so they would add engine drag.

With VCM disabled, the VCM cylinders are powered at low RPM while decelerating and so would add less engine drag.

I recently rented a Chevy Cruze that aggressively slowed down when I took my foot of the gas. While the car was impressive in all other respects, I did not like this feature.

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, that's exactly how I would describe it......"Aggresively slowing down." My old 2004 Ody coasted effortlessly when I took my foot off the gas.
The newer 2014 (with VCM) felt like I was driving a go kart......it seemed to want to slow down the second I took my foot off the pedal. I didn't like this and initially thought there was something wrong with the car. Asked the dealer staff and they said this behavior was normal.

Anyways, glad to have the VCM shut off. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Just got a 2016 oddy. Coming from a pilot. I did install the muzzler on the Pilot because that model was in desperate need of help. I was loving my Odyssey and didn't think I needed to muzzle it, but just 300 miles in, there it is. Sluggish, and shuddering. Looks like I'll be getting the version 2 now.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
@kenchills,

Could be the Grade Logic Control System activating
:
To reduce gear “hunting” and unnecessary shifting, Grade Logic Control is integrated into the shift programming of the transmission. Grade Logic Control alters the five-speed automatic’s shift schedule, reducing shift frequency while traveling uphill or downhill. Using inputs monitoring throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration, Grade Logic compares the operating parameters with a digital map stored in the transmission computer. When the system determines the Odyssey is on a hill, the shift schedule is adjusted to automatically hold the transmission in a lower gear for better climbing power or increased downhill engine braking.

2011 Honda Odyssey: Powertrain

Next time it happens, note the rpm gauge. If the transmission downshifted to slow downhill descent, rpm's go up. When the transmission up shifts at the bottom of hill, rpm's will drop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@kenchills,

Could be the Grade Logic Control System activating
:
To reduce gear “hunting” and unnecessary shifting, Grade Logic Control is integrated into the shift programming of the transmission. Grade Logic Control alters the five-speed automatic’s shift schedule, reducing shift frequency while traveling uphill or downhill. Using inputs monitoring throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration, Grade Logic compares the operating parameters with a digital map stored in the transmission computer. When the system determines the Odyssey is on a hill, the shift schedule is adjusted to automatically hold the transmission in a lower gear for better climbing power or increased downhill engine braking.

2011 Honda Odyssey: Powertrain

Next time it happens, note the rpm gauge. If the transmission downshifted to slow downhill descent, rpm's go up. When the transmission up shifts at the bottom of hill, rpm's will drop.
I wish that's what it was, but where I live it is 100% flat. The engine braking sensation I got was on flat ground with no inclines or declines. Just coasting along at 30-45 mph after accelerating.........I couldn't figure any reason for the van to be as aggressive as it was in slowing down. Now that I have the muzzler, it seems to coast very happily for quite a ways when I take my foot off the gas.

On road trips, I have noticed the "Grade Logic Control System" that you described activating when descending a long hill on the highway. It was actually nice because I didn't have to ride the brake all the way down the hill.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put my muzzler today on my new 2016 with ~1000 miles. Main thing I noticed, I no longer get that "lagging/heavy" feeling when the ECO light used to come on at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
In 2005 Exl and touring owners felt the lugging issues and did not have any clues to the VCM culprit. transmission exhaust replacements were done but no cures. Honda insisted its was normal. The EX and Lx owners were the lucky ones.Read the early threads it is ashame the owners had to be the ones that solved the VCM problem. Remember the trapped rotor idiosy on the accords.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just went through the entire thread and was curious to see where everyone's temp needle is at after VCMuzzler? Its more out of curiosity for me... Just installed mine on my 16 Ody and 08 Pilot which the Pilot have had all these VCM related issues so hoping to put a stop to it at 138K miles (yeah I was late to the VCMuzzler party).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just went through the entire thread and was curious to see where everyone's temp needle is at after VCMuzzler? Its more out of curiosity for me... Just installed mine on my 16 Ody and 08 Pilot which the Pilot have had all these VCM related issues so hoping to put a stop to it at 138K miles (yeah I was late to the VCMuzzler party).
My 2013 temp gauge just sits below where the temp icon bottom lines.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Update:

For those doubters out there, I'm at 3 years and 44,683 miles with VCMuzzler installed. No MIL illuminations of any type. No problems, van runs great. 25 mpg highway if I obey the speed limit. Engine has not burned one drop of oil since VCM was disabled. I go 7K miles on OCI and oil level never moves. Using full synthetic Penzoil 5-20.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my VCMTuner installed, it's a 30 second job. I appreciate all of the technical details offered in this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smart VCM

Put a Smart-VCM in my new to me 2016 Ody EX-L at 23k. Man this thing drives like it should now. It's predictable. We just got back from a 1,700 mile trip and I knew i had to take care of this gas pedal lag issue on the highway. Couldn't be happier with the Smart-VCM and performance of the car currently.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Put a Smart-VCM in my new to me 2016 Ody EX-L at 23k. Man this thing drives like it should now. It's predictable. We just got back from a 1,700 mile trip and I knew i had to take care of this gas pedal lag issue on the highway. Couldn't be happier with the Smart-VCM and performance of the car currently.
Where did you buy it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update:

For those doubters out there, I'm at 3 years and 44,683 miles with VCMuzzler installed. No MIL illuminations of any type. No problems, van runs great. 25 mpg highway if I obey the speed limit. Engine has not burned one drop of oil since VCM was disabled. I go 7K miles on OCI and oil level never moves. Using full synthetic Penzoil 5-20.
I have a similar experience to report. Now 3 years in running the VCMuzzler. 78,000 miles since installing it and no oil consumption. Gas mileage barely changed at all...less than .5 MPG difference for the cumulative before installing and the cumulative since. Best thing I could have done.

Ron

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a similar experience to report. Now 3 years in running the VCMuzzler. 78,000 miles since installing it and no oil consumption. Gas mileage barely changed at all...less than .5 MPG difference for the cumulative before installing and the cumulative since. Best thing I could have done.

Ron
I just finished a 2400 mile trip in our 2016 Odyssey EX-L. I installed the VCMuzzler about 1 week after purchasing the van new. Gas mileage on this round-trip from North Carolina to Kansas averaged about 27-28mpg (and I had a fully loaded van, and typically drive about +8mph over the speed limit - "8 you skate... but 9 you're mine!")

I did have my first Check Engine Light (CEL P0128) come on due to having the VCMuzzler installed during this trip. I have cleared the code and temporarily removed the muzzler to allow the ECU to see "normal" behavior for a few days. I would like to see the "Permanent P0128 Code" cleared.

Looks like some good information in the following thread regarding this issue:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/304890-you-have-muzzler-you-got-p0128-now-what.html

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I just finished a 2400 mile trip in our 2016 Odyssey EX-L. I installed the VCMuzzler about 1 week after purchasing the van new. Gas mileage on this round-trip from North Carolina to Kansas averaged about 27-28mpg (and I had a fully loaded van, and typically drive about +8mph over the speed limit - "8 you skate... but 9 you're mine!")

I did have my first Check Engine Light (CEL P0128) come on due to having the VCMuzzler installed during this trip. I have cleared the code and temporarily removed the muzzler to allow the ECU to see "normal" behavior for a few days. I would like to see the "Permanent P0128 Code" cleared.

Looks like some good information in the following thread regarding this issue:

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/304890-you-have-muzzler-you-got-p0128-now-what.html
Which resistor are you using? P0128 just means your resistor value is too high.

The permanent code will go away after something like 40 or 60 drive cycles of no code.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Where did you buy it from?
You can get them either on eBay or directly from the S-VCM website.

Google "S-VCM" and both options pop right up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Which resistor are you using? P0128 just means your resistor value is too high.

The permanent code will go away after something like 40 or 60 drive cycles of no code.
Using the BLUE resistor. It has been working without any issues for over 2 years / 18,000 miles.

Thanks for the info regarding the permanent code. Based on the other thread, it sounds like I need to check what temperature my van is reaching with the muzzler attached, to make sure it is not too low. Correct?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Check with Verbatim on what to do. The blue resistor is the lowest he normally offers. It's also possible you have a thermostat or ECT sensor issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installation question

I have a technical question about installing the muzzler. When you pull apart the harness to install the muzzler, what data on the van is affected? Are things such as trip A/trip B/mpg reset when this happens? I ask because I am a bit of a fusspot about tracking and comparing the data on the van vs. data I've calculated for mpg, intervals between oil changes, etc. :)

341 - 360 of 379 Posts
About this Discussion
378 Replies
113 Participants
John Clark
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing