Honda Odyssey Forum banner

361 - 379 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have a technical question about installing the muzzler. When you pull apart the harness to install the muzzler, what data on the van is affected? Are things such as trip A/trip B/mpg reset when this happens? I ask because I am a bit of a fusspot about tracking and comparing the data on the van vs. data I've calculated for mpg, intervals between oil changes, etc. :)
No stored data is affected at all. Installing a Muzzler only requires the momentary disconnection of a single sensor, not the whole wiring harness or battery or PCM.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a technical question about installing the muzzler. When you pull apart the harness to install the muzzler, what data on the van is affected? Are things such as trip A/trip B/mpg reset when this happens? I ask because I am a bit of a fusspot about tracking and comparing the data on the van vs. data I've calculated for mpg, intervals between oil changes, etc. :)
Just the coolant temp is disconnected. Won’t affect trip computer or any other info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2015 Touring Elite with 37k on it, and I drove it across Texas this past weekend. Got 28.5 mpg. I know the VCM was activated for a good portion of the drive, but did not experience any jerkiness or hesitation. Seems like the active motor mounts do a decent job.

With no immediate evidence of problems, I am still interested in the S-VCM because I want the motor to last. It appears people aren’t seeing serious fuel consumption issues with VCM disabled, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just bought a 2015 Touring Elite with 37k on it, and I drove it across Texas this past weekend. Got 28.5 mpg. I know the VCM was activated for a good portion of the drive, but did not experience any jerkiness or hesitation. Seems like the active motor mounts do a decent job.

With no immediate evidence of problems, I am still interested in the S-VCM because I want the motor to last. It appears people aren’t seeing serious fuel consumption issues with VCM disabled, right?
We have a 2016 EX-L with 23K. Only noticed hesitation when accelerating when VCM mode would disengage. It was most noticeable on an incline approach. We had similar mpg. Once we installed the S-VCM we were getting 27-27.5 mpg. Still very good for a van this size.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I disabled the VCM but really don’t notice any difference other than the light is no longer on. Many of you report dramatic performance differences but I’m just not seeing it. Perhaps I had that unicorn that ran well with the VCM enabled!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disabled the VCM but really don’t notice any difference other than the light is no longer on. Many of you report dramatic performance differences but I’m just not seeing it. Perhaps I had that unicorn that ran well with the VCM enabled!

A Unicorn you say? What beast is this? Year, Model, Miles? VCM length of time installed? All good details.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2011 Touring with the 6 speed. I have 182K miles so far!

That's some serious miles my friend. Did you purchase it new or used? Just trying to get a feel if a one owner car is what makes or breaks these vans. Ours is CPO at 21k. I did drive a 2015 CPO with the same mileage and it was trash in comparison.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I purchased it new. I’m the primary driver and maintain the thing well.

Biggest improvement was when I had the six speed transmission software upgraded at about 20K miles. Prior to that the thing was a slug with lackluster performance.

Oil changes as soon as the light reminding to change. Only ever used Mobil1 with quality filters. Lately those have been Bosch 3323’s.

Transmissions need fluid and the inline filter changed every 35K miles if lightly loaded and much less miles if you tow or have heavy loads. Transmission fluid does wear out. The online filter isn’t difficult to do. There is a bracket that’s hard to put back on that holds the filter in place. Lately I fabricated my own bracket that’s more forgiving. Used a bit of foam rubber to allow for easy installation.

Other than tires, brakes and an occasional battery it’s been a dream. Just don’t ask about the time I snapped off a lug bolt and led to a new front hub! Also hitting speed bumps at speed caused me to rip the rubber isolation on a lower control arm. We all do dumb things from time to time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Installed the S-VCM about a week ago. Took the van on a 500 round trip venture. Did well. The ECO light came on for a few miles during the last part of the stretch. We were going up hills and in hot weather so maybe had something to do with it. Not sure. Otherwise, no CELs and no problems.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Installed the S-VCM about a week ago. Took the van on a 500 round trip venture. Did well. The ECO light came on for a few miles during the last part of the stretch. We were going up hills and in hot weather so maybe had something to do with it. Not sure. Otherwise, no CELs and no problems.
This is interesting. This is the first time I've seen someone report that the S-VCM module had turned itself off. Of course, that's a good thing; it's supposed to do that if the engine coolant gets too hot. Letting VCM activate is a far less dangerous thing than an overheated engine. Did you happen to notice the reading on the coolant temperature gauge when you got the ECO light?

I've had the S-VCM on our Ody for a few weeks now, and we've been out on a couple of 400-mile round trips since then. The weather was hot and the van was fully loaded, but the terrain was quite flat; no meaningful uphill or downhill sections. No ECO light, no VCM, no problems.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is interesting. This is the first time I've seen someone report that the S-VCM module had turned itself off. Of course, that's a good thing; it's supposed to do that if the engine coolant gets too hot. Letting VCM activate is a far less dangerous thing than an overheated engine. Did you happen to notice the reading on the coolant temperature gauge when you got the ECO light?

I've had the S-VCM on our Ody for a few weeks now, and we've been out on a couple of 400-mile round trips since then. The weather was hot and the van was fully loaded, but the terrain was quite flat; no meaningful uphill or downhill sections. No ECO light, no VCM, no problems.
I don't think Dookay said the S-VCM module turned itself off. He said, ECO light came on few times during some challenging situation (which happens with my muzzler) but that is normal. I am not sure how S-VCM module is different from original muzzler, but I am thinking there shouldn't be any engine coolant getting too hot. Maybe I am missing something from your post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never noticed coolant temps rising. It was 112* out and going uphill with a loaded van. Not sure if that makes a difference, or not.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't think Dookay said the S-VCM module turned itself off. He said, ECO light came on few times during some challenging situation (which happens with my muzzler) but that is normal. I am not sure how S-VCM module is different from original muzzler, but I am thinking there shouldn't be any engine coolant getting too hot. Maybe I am missing something from your post.
Dookay didn't outright say that, but it is the reasonable conclusion to make given that the S-VCM controller allowed the ECO indicator to light up.

The S-VCM controller is supposed to track the actual temperature coming in from ECT1 and modify it to keep VCM off UNLESS the actual temperature gets too high. If the S-VCM detects that an overheat condition is imminent, it should turn itself off and allow the true temperature from the ECT1 sensor to go through to the PCM. The ways a driver would see this had happened would be for the coolant temperature gauge to rise and for the ECO light to come on (because VCM was no longer being disabled by the modified temperature reading).

So if Dookay saw the ECO light, I am wondering whether he also saw the engine coolant gauge jump. That would be part of the predicted behaviour indicating that the S-VCM had shut itself off to warn the driver that the coolant temperature was getting too high.

361 - 379 of 379 Posts
About this Discussion
378 Replies
113 Participants
John Clark
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing