Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting financing for the 2002 GG ody I just ordered, so I need to know a couple of things. The dealer sez that you can get the final cost this way:

MSRP ($27,190) X tax,fees (9%)= $29,637

What bugs me is this: California state tax is 7.5%, which means he's charging me 1.5% in fees (or $407).

For those folks who bought their Ody in California, does anyone have a breakdown of what is included in that 1.5% fee? (licensing? smog certification? other state fees? dealer greed?)

If there are state mandatory fees, I'll pay for those. Otherwise, I want to save every penny I can get for mods!

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
The purchase price of my out of state 01 ex-navi odyssey was $28,340. Tax and license at the California dmv was $2399.00 I also paid dealer $50 doc fee and $20 for temp registration. 2399 divided by 28340 = .08465067
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I bought my 2002 EX-L RES from Wesloh Honda in San Juan Capistrano, just up the road from you. Here's my exact fees:

$30,190-MSRP
$45-doc fee
$2,267.63-Tax at 7.5%
$5-tire fee
Total: $32,749.63

It seems like they're ripping you off. I had a dealer say something similar like that too me. Didn't buy from them. They told me these fees before I went to pickup the car. Nothing hidden. Nora Kelley was my salesperson and I would recommend her to anyone. She was great (949) 493-9300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oc2002ody:
I bought my 2002 EX-L RES from Wesloh Honda in San Juan Capistrano, just up the road from you. Here's my exact fees:

$30,190-MSRP
$45-doc fee
$2,267.63-Tax at 7.5%
$5-tire fee
Total: $32,749.63

It seems like they're ripping you off. I had a dealer say something similar like that too me. Didn't buy from them. They told me these fees before I went to pickup the car. Nothing hidden. Nora Kelley was my salesperson and I would recommend her to anyone. She was great (949) 493-9300.
</font>
Thanks a bunch. The funny thing is that I am also getting my van from Weseloh, but the sales guy is Wally Roseki. He was the one who quoted me the "extra" fee. Anyway, I now have something to back me up when I tell him the extra fees are BS. This is the beauty of this site. The information sharing is just awesome!

By the way, how long did it take for you to get your Ody from the time you put down a deposit? Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
I suspect Wally was just giving you a ballpark way of quickly estimating the overall cost. I don't think it's possible to apply a single % to the MSRP to get the final cost...

BTW - how has you experience with Weseloh been so far? Are they going to order you a specific van, or are you simply on the waiting list?

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
CA sales tax rate varies througout the state. The current state-wide rate is 7%, but many areas have an additional district tax. The current rate in LA is 8%.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HK_dude:
California sales tax is 7.5% now? How come Im still thinking its 8%?
</font>
Here in the SF bay area, tax varies by county. I bought my Ody down in Palmdale, but was charged the Santa Clara county tax rate because that's where I live. You guys in LA are still lower than us! I'm at 8.25%!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I live in LA county and the tax is 8%.
My EX price is
$27190 + 8% tax + $222 (state license) + $5 tire fee + $45 documentation.
I believe the 9% fee quoted by the salesman was just a rough number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oc2002ody:
I bought my 2002 EX-L RES from Wesloh Honda in San Juan Capistrano, just up the road from you. Here's my exact fees:

$30,190-MSRP
$45-doc fee
$2,267.63-Tax at 7.5%
$5-tire fee
Total: $32,749.63

It seems like they're ripping you off. I had a dealer say something similar like that too me. Didn't buy from them. They told me these fees before I went to pickup the car. Nothing hidden. Nora Kelley was my salesperson and I would recommend her to anyone. She was great (949) 493-9300.
</font>

My bad. I forgot to put on there the $242 DMV fee. Oops!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I suspect Wally ............estimating the overall cost. BTW - how has you experience with Weseloh been so far? Are they going to order you a specific van, or are you simply on the waiting list?

Richard
</font>
So far so good. They are selling at MSRP with no hassles. The thing is that I'm not in any hurry. However, if my current van breaks down, then I'll probably end up calling Weseloh on a daily basis demanding to know where my van is.

I told Wally that I would take a SS or GG EX, so I think I may be one of those waiting for a specific van(?)

BTW, thanks to all for all the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I suspect Wally ............estimating the overall cost. BTW - how has you experience with Weseloh been so far? Are they going to order you a specific van, or are you simply on the waiting list?

Richard
</font>
So far so good. They are selling at MSRP with no hassles. The thing is that I'm not in any hurry. However, if my current van breaks down, then I'll probably end up calling Weseloh on a daily basis demanding to know where my van is.

I told Wally that I would take a SS or GG EX, so I think I may be one of those waiting for a specific van(?)

BTW, thanks to all for all the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
The LX and EXs (without leather) seem to be a little less popular and, of the 4 or 5 dealers in SoCal I've talked to, you can find them on the lot from time to time. I've had a few calls from SoCal dealers asking me if I want to take an LX or EX they have available (Metro Honda was one), but I'm sticking to my guns for now with an EX-L.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I suspect Wally was just giving you a ballpark way of quickly estimating the overall cost. I don't think it's possible to apply a single % to the MSRP to get the final cost...

BTW - how has you experience with Weseloh been so far? Are they going to order you a specific van, or are you simply on the waiting list?

Richard
</font>
45
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
45? Say what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
45? Say what?</font>
Sorry, the computer was acting up. Don't know where the "45" came from!?!?

Anyway, some dealers also called me up asking if I wanted an Ody EX that "just came in". Unfortunately, they were asking for $500 to $1000 over MSRP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Now I'm feeling ripped off! I walked in to Carmichael Honda here in Sacramento and found the LX I wanted. All of the dealers I called said Odyssey would be 1,500 over MSRP. Ok, I thought. They were very patient and low pressure, but threw NOTHING into the deal. Last week after read in the "MSRP" thread on this site I reviewed my 10/6/01 sales contract and see that they considered the Destination and Handling fee listed at the bottom below the MSRP to "actually BE the MSRP" says the sales manager. So, even though they say $1,500 over MSRP, it's actually 440 + 1,500 over MSRP. They made NO effort to make any adjustment. What REALLY got me, though, was that when I bought the Cargo Tray for $109.00.The same tray 20 feet away from the parts department was 99. A N D if I had ordered it online from H & A it would have been $64.00! BUT...guess what??? H& A is the very same place as the Parts department!!! I was never informed of the choice, of course to save any money from the guys who were making the sale. They wouldn't even honor a free oil change coupon I later found on line because they said it had to have been produced only at the time of the sale... that's really cheap!!

I love the car, but, wait a month before you turn in the Honda Survey!!!

There, thanks... I finally got it off my chest!

Rob



------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
OH by the way...to answe your question, the fees were:
45.00 document prep
1975.80 sales tax
216.00 license
5.00 tire fee (California)

Maybe I got off better here.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top