Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ody is quite young, less than 100 miles on it thus far. However, I noticed something strange yesterday. I was stopped at a red light, and had the brake pedal fully depressed (not lightly, as I sometimes do), when all of a sudden, the Ody felt as if it had been tapped by the car behind me. It almost felt like the car shifted out of Drive into Neutral, then right back into Drive. Has anyone else experienced this?

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES
1996 BMW 328i Manual Sport Pack w/goodies

G

·
Did you have the a/c on? Sometimes that will cause the car to "lurch" forward. There was a big discussion about this a while ago, and this seems to be the general consensus as to the cause.

Michelle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Poodleluvr. I did have the HVAC system on full auto, so they A/C would have been on. That would explain what happenned... kinda freaked me out though.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES

G

·
I don't know what exactly causes it, but I do know that it's quite unnerving when you don't know why it's happening. This used to happen to me in our Chrysler and it freaked me out--I thought the tranny was going to die.

Michelle

·
Registered
194 Posts
Me thinks you just experienced the gas sloshing phenomenon. Personally I do not "hear" a slosh, but I can feel it when I come to a stop with a near full tank - the van stops, and about 2-3 seconds later I feel a whump. I attribute it to the gas surging forward once the vans momentum stops.

Sound feasible?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've felt this too. But I definately did not have the A/C on (I live in Toronto and it is December). Just felt like I'd been tapped (I even looked suspiciously in my rear view mirror at the guy behind me)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only time this ever happens to me is when the climate control is on full auto. The compressor must still come on even in the winter. I don't think I've ever had it happen with the climate control on off. It is very unnerving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Experienced the same subtle bump in our 02 EXL (@1100 miles)while sitting at a red light. We had been stopped for approx. 30 seconds, so I know it was not the gas tank "tidal wave." I was so convinced we had been tapped by the driver behind me, I actually got out and took his insurance info. There was not even a scuff on the back bumper, so most likely we experienced this "phantom" tap. But it was so real!

·
Registered
3 Posts
He probably thought I was unstable and gave me the info to get rid of me. At any rate, sounds like I owe the guy an apology. We have not had any problems since (now 2800 miles.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<snip>

[This message has been edited by odylicious (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the compressor probably is on, even during the winter, as chrisj2641 said. Any way to confirm this? I have to agree that this is indeed, very unnerving, at best.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkep60:
I was so convinced we had been tapped by the driver behind me, I actually got out and took his insurance info</font>
Hahaha LOL!!
Aaahhh...Im running out of breadth...

------------------

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try this, Drive back and forth in your driveway (when your neighbors are not looking) and you can experience this thrill constantly. I still do not see how it can be the gas but it sure seems to be. I tried this with 3/4 tank by the way.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts