Honda Odyssey Forum banner

'Fess up-Did you purchase dealer added paint protection/undercoating to your new Ody?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Blooleader 
#1 ·
This poll was suggested in an earlier discussion, so I thought that I would put it out there for the masses. Perhaps one of the brainier among us can figure out a way to tabulate the results.

The question is: Did you purchase paint protection/undercoating from the dealer at the time of your purchase of your new Ody?

My own answer is yes, and I have chronicled how I was manipulated by the dealer into doing this (check out dealer horror stories)
Another interesting part of the poll should be how much people paid for this protection. I myself paid $280.00 for both the sealant ("you won't have to wax the car for 5 years") and the undercoating/soundproofing.

------------------
2002 Odyssey GG EXL Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Air Deflector, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Cross-Bars

#2 ·
Well, count me as a : NO : but my dealer sure made me feel guilty for neglecting to protect my investment. "You know, they don't use regular road salt now, they switched over to this new synthetic sodium chloride nitrate compound that's supposed to be pretty harsh on vehicles ....." I felt just like the poor saps in that scene from FARGO at the car dealer, except I just said no. I figure, being as proud as I am to be an Odyssey owner, I'll likely keep this one washed regulary, hopefully preventing harmful corrosive build-up, and I'll do my own waxing as necessary to preserve the finish.

'02 Honda Odyssey SS EX
'99 Honda CR-V

#3 ·
No. I picked up my '02 Ody three days ago and the dealer's people never even mentioned paint protection or undercoating, and I live in Iowa, part of the rust belt. Only the HondaCare extended warranty was discussed. And then in a very low sale pressure way. Just a description, brochure and price, but no pressure to buy. In fact, they didn't even ask me if I wanted any accessories! I left the dealership with the impression that I somehow fell between the cracks that afternoon. A very different experience from the seven previous new car purchases I've made.

-Mark

#7 ·
'Fessin' up. Yes, but in all fairness to me, my dealer would not sell without his little $780 dealer package of splashguards, wheelwell trim, trim stripe and wax...er, "paint protection." Oh, I could take stuff off, but it was like getting a $100 credit on a $350 monitor when you buy the computer box alone. At the end of the deal, I ended up getting it all for effectively $200, and I don't begrudge them much but the attitude since there was no mark-up over MSRP. At least they were honest and said the special coating would last about 6-9 months instead of years and years and years.

Should have told them I'd let them put the tow package on if they skipped the dealer package - they get to make a little more, I get something useful.

#8 ·
Hey a fellow Iowan. Where did you get your Ody?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aardvaark:
No. I picked up my '02 Ody three days ago and the dealer's people never even mentioned paint protection or undercoating, and I live in Iowa, part of the rust belt. Only the HondaCare extended warranty was discussed. And then in a very low sale pressure way. Just a description, brochure and price, but no pressure to buy. In fact, they didn't even ask me if I wanted any accessories! I left the dealership with the impression that I somehow fell between the cracks that afternoon. A very different experience from the seven previous new car purchases I've made.

-Mark
</font>

#9 ·
Nope! No protection package, no "mandatory" pinstriping, splash guards, etc. I even told them I didn't want their large "advertising" sticker they want to slap on the back of every vehicle they sell.

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Pioneer 1695's (all around), Fogs, & more ZAINO!!

#10 ·
I picked up my 2002EX-L Navi last night. Great vehicle. Salesman had a hard time keeping a straight face while explaining the benefits of Paint and Interior protection, so I didn't get either. However, mudguards and window etching were manditory "options". They installed a free steering wheel cover as a concession. No presure to buy anthing else. All and all, a pretty good experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.