Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, I've been thinking of doing this since day 1. BUT warranty issues, possible trade-in after 3 years, cost, etc stalled the project.

So, here it is:

INFO: 2011 ODYSSEY

RETRO: low beam current gen ACURA TL projector, TSX-R clear lens swap, morimoto D2s ballast, philips 85122+ bulbs, extra set of housing just in case... and labor of LOVE :)

PICS

it show the output light is yellow-ish.. been running it for like 2 hrs..

I now agree with everybody here that when you have 5K its hard to adjust with 4300K.. oh, well-- have to save for a CBI's :)

THIS PIC I ADJUSTED

SPACIOUS INSIDE-- i can probably fit Bi-xenon next time maybe RX350

(dont know where to post this-- dave kindly move if necessary)

I can post more pics if e'body wants to know how wide this projector is.. :)

comments. thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to show how it looks like BEFORE..

OEM halogen projector are actually impressive-- very sharp cut-off line, wide. BUT as any halogen set-up, they can't have higher lumen than HID's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I thought you had gone all the way onto retrofitting the Touring Elite HID system :)

Looks good.
i was leaning of just buying the TE's HID housing but something happened and I think it was a blessing in disguise. The Acura TL (current gen) projector are almost similar and have direct bolt-on pattern.. I did a clear lens swap which make uber sharp cut-off Lens Swaps: Clearly the best choice from The Retrofit Source Inc

Also, it was an experience I was willing to take :)

I'm a happy camper now

·
Registered
83 Posts
What a difference!! Sounds like you did a major overhaul of your headlights. Is there an advantage to that over just doing the $50 HID kit with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts? I did the cheap kit thing on my old Passat and my wife's old A6 Quattro (both of which have projector headlights) and was happy with the results. I thought about getting a kit for the Odyssey but didn't want to mess with my brand new car. Sounds like you changed the lenses and projectors and everything. I'd be interested in knowing what the advantage is. Can't argue with your results...the difference is "day and night." Nice job.--Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a difference!! Sounds like you did a major overhaul of your headlights. Is there an advantage to that over just doing the $50 HID kit with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts? I did the cheap kit thing on my old Passat and my wife's old A6 Quattro (both of which have projector headlights) and was happy with the results. I thought about getting a kit for the Odyssey but didn't want to mess with my brand new car. Sounds like you changed the lenses and projectors and everything. I'd be interested in knowing what the advantage is. Can't argue with your results...the difference is "day and night." Nice job.--Dave
YUP. Night and day over oem halogen. I actually run Plug-n-Play kit for like 7 mos until I got everything and finished my retro.

There was a thread regarding HID that I thought you’d be interested reading – I'm NOT really that guy that would tell you 'this and that' about PnP HID kits, I know you also browse the web for info's so, here are some : http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/147875-hid-done-7.html

Personally, I’m OK with PnP BUT the problem was the kit I purchased SUCK big time during adverse weather condition. Though it can be attributed to 5K bulb that I bought—it was also the fact that the halogen projector was design with flat cut-off with weird peaks outside the cut-off see pics

And with SQUIRREL FINDER (that equals to glare with fitted with PnP HID)

So clearly advantages are significant visibility at night, not to mention I’m doing a favor to oncoming traffic (less glare).. also, I get to use OEM philips bulb—of course the salts are of high quality and rigorous QC..

PS. if you run HID PnP kit -- buy some quality relay harness.

cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For a first timer, (to retro, not PnP) how hard was it? My worry is even though you can buy a bolt on, it may not be adjusted or adjustable correctly or it may leak. Paying almost 500 a month on my ride worries me to try this for the first time. (I'm Military and drive many miles often, it would suck to be at a far off location and have problems.) With my PnP, I keep a full extra set in the back with factory bulbs too. If I have any issues, I'd just put the stock bulbs back in or swap out a ballast or bulb. I sometimes go TDY for 2-3 months at a time and I take my Ody. I'm going twice next year, 12+ hours from home for 2-3 months at a time. I'd be screwed if I had issues that far away from home. I really do want do do it tho. I have had the PnP kit in mine since day 1. (4 months now?)
Any sound advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Guys, I just did mine a week ago. I know this is a 2011+ thread, but HID retro, properly done, gets the real bonuses that banswee mentions. dbmiss, I'm on a road trip from OK to CA right now, and the HID retro kit from theretrofitsource.com has not hiccuped at all. I installed, adjusted, and went roaming across the U.S.A.

First, adjustment issues: note that banswee took pics in a parking garage. A parking garage with a flat floor is the way to go, with about 25 feet or more behind you. This puts the light in the right place. Aimed too low, the cutoff can work too well, not illuminating far enough in front of you.

Second, leaks: buy the octyl rubber glue that some retro sources (like Theretrofitsource.com) sells. One package is enough for several retrofit jobs to seal up the headlamp assembly halves. I went through some fairly tough rain this week with no leak issues. A little bit of this sealant goes a long way.

I'm enjoying the illumination on the dark interstates. D2S bulbs in a proper projector have a lifespan of 7-10 years, and if one goes out, they are on separate circuits (ballasts). One bulb alone provides a sufficient amount of light to safely finish the drive and get to some place where you can replace it (I tested this while aiming, powering one ballast at a time).

OF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can the OP or anyone tell me exactly which parts they bought from the retrofit store?

Then from there, is it just a matter of bolting it in and adjusting? For a newbie, it seems odd that a mix of parts from different cars would fit easily.

Finally are there step-by-step instructions anywhere for the 2011+ odys?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can the OP or anyone tell me exactly which parts they bought from the retrofit store?

Then from there, is it just a matter of bolting it in and adjusting? For a newbie, it seems odd that a mix of parts from different cars would fit easily.

Finally are there step-by-step instructions anywhere for the 2011+ odys
?

* I can, but I dont know if its OKAY to put it here. we have a site sponsor regarding HID kits/parts

* your 2nd concern- it's actually kinda long to explain right now BUT I'll get back to you (i'm just on my lunchbreak).. ON a positive note-- we are that LUCKY that acura TL projector is a direct swap to our halogen projector. :)

* I'm too busy right now, BUT I'll post some info on how-to. OR maybe we can share some how-to instruction with ODYFAMILY. I"m actually the 1ST that did a retro on '11. I was so hesitant at first since nobody knew what it looks like inside..

HOpefully mr. DVpatel can make this s sticky since this is generational thread..

dsbmississippi said:
For a first timer, (to retro, not PnP) how hard was it? My worry is even though you can buy a bolt on, it may not be adjusted or adjustable correctly or it may leak. Paying almost 500 a month on my ride worries me to try this for the first time. (I'm Military and drive many miles often, it would suck to be at a far off location and have problems.) With my PnP, I keep a full extra set in the back with factory bulbs too. If I have any issues, I'd just put the stock bulbs back in or swap out a ballast or bulb. I sometimes go TDY for 2-3 months at a time and I take my Ody. I'm going twice next year, 12+ hours from home for 2-3 months at a time. I'd be screwed if I had issues that far away from home. I really do want do do it tho. I have had the PnP kit in mine since day 1. (4 months now?)
Any sound advice would be awesome.
I have some answers for you man (maybe later).. BTW, thanks for the service you render to this nation :)[/INDENT]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! I look forward to more info and pictures.

Do you think the TL parts are better than the Touring Elite parts?

My cars with HIDs seem to auto balance or have a control to adjust, for a retrofit, do you need to adjust it at the headlight?

Thanks in advance, this is very interesting!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Do you think the TL parts are better than the Touring Elite parts?

My cars with HIDs seem to auto balance or have a control to adjust, for a retrofit, do you need to adjust it at the headlight?
*yup. retrofit is the removal/modifying/replacement of the reflector or projector headlight. there is a lot of projectors available ranging from acura-lexus-bmw to name a few. It just so happen that we have direct bolt-on pattern with the current gen acura TL (how lucky we are).

*theoritically, the same output since they have the same projector design.

* I have thought about that also BUT in the end I just ignored it. The TE's headlight only do it up or down NOT side to side. So, I measured my headlight height and it was only 30' IIRC which compared to a sedan is like 25' from the ground. So, I aimed my headlight lower than my previous stock.

My recomendation (also for DSBmiss) if money is not the factor. try to buy online from bernardi a hosuing for the elite's BUT I believe it was like upward of $600.00 for a pair. BUT you have to buy the ballast and the bulb also.

otherwise, if you have spare time I only paid the
1. Acura TL projector (special order from TRS $175.00)
2. ballast pair with D2S output Morimoto 3Five Ballasts (35w) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc ($110.00)
3. philips BULB 85122+ D2S: Philips 85122+ - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc ($95.00)

and like what I've said I bought an extra headlight housing BUT I'll post it for sale next year. and others.

cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi again,

So if I understand you correctly, if you wanted to retrofit a TE HID, it's $600+ for the new housing plus the other stuff.

If you go the TL route, you can reuse the stock housing (it just bolts in?) with the parts you listed?

It sounds like going the TL route makes sense. If you were to do it all over with the TL route, would you get the same bulbs and ballasts, etc? I looked at the site and they sell a lot of variations of the same parts and I don't fully get the pros and cons of each yet.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again,

So if I understand you correctly, if you wanted to retrofit a TE HID, it's $600+ for the new housing plus the other stuff.

If you go the TL route, you can reuse the stock housing (it just bolts in?) with the parts you listed?

It sounds like going the TL route makes sense. If you were to do it all over with the TL route, would you get the same bulbs and ballasts, etc? I looked at the site and they sell a lot of variations of the same parts and I don't fully get the pros and cons of each yet.
if you buy the TE's housing thats already HID projector-- so technically its not retro cause you are just gonna swap your halogen housing. BUT yes you have to buy the ballast, and D2S bulb. I really suggest you'd buy a relay harness.

If you are going to the TL route, I suggest you read some informative info on Informative Articles. It was really fun doing retro. you
*open your housing-take out the halogen projector-bolt on the HID projector-seal your housing..
BUT you can view some of the informative article for more comprehensive how-to.

thats why I would suggest if time is important and your money is not an issue.. the TE's HID is comparable to the TL.

cheers

if I/d do it again-- I'll buy the same ballast. BUT osram CBI bulbs. and I probably would go for a bi-xenon set-up.. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Banswee, you are the man. I spent a few hours looking for information on how to get HID on a Honda Odyssey and didn't see much. Unless people have done them and not just post details, you seem to be one of the few. Since you seem to be a real pro, just had a few questions if you don't mind.

1 - To go with all Honda parts, it seems you recommend Bernandi for the Honda parts. There is 18 parts it seems for the headlights. Do you know exactly which parts would be needed?
Honda Odyssey Parts - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

2 - Vs Option 1 - it seems there are kits everywhere that are a hundred bucks or less if you google HID Odyessy. Do those really work and how do those compare vs option 1 or what you did?

3 - How do you think your current setup compares against getting all the TE parts? (Option #1)

4 - What would be a Bi-Xenon setup. Is that Xenon for both lowbeam and high beam? Sorry I am a noob at this.

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Just to answer question #4 (sorry, I'm mod'ing our pair of Gen 2 Odys), Bi-Xenon uses a single light source. It has a shield in forward of the light source (HID bulb) & reflector to give you the low beam. In short, some of the light output is blocked, which is fine (I'm still getting a LOT of lumens out front). When you select high beams, a solenoid moves the shield, allowing light output above the cutoff to exit the assembly. Kind of like wearing a baseball cap, and then removing it to see what's above the line of sight blocked by the bill of the cap.

OF

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to answer question #4 (sorry, I'm mod'ing our pair of Gen 2 Odys), Bi-Xenon uses a single light source. It has a shield in forward of the light source (HID bulb) & reflector to give you the low beam. In short, some of the light output is blocked, which is fine (I'm still getting a LOT of lumens out front). When you select high beams, a solenoid moves the shield, allowing light output above the cutoff to exit the assembly. Kind of like wearing a baseball cap, and then removing it to see what's above the line of sight blocked by the bill of the cap.

OF
Thanks for the clarification. Being a lighting noob, what happens if you don't have a Bi-Xenon? You need two bulbs versus one to achieve lowbeam/highbeam?

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
If you have a newer Ody (Gen3 +), your other lamps (9005 type bulbs) do the high beam work. This is actually a very good setup. When you select high beams, the HID low beams stay on, and the halogen 9005's illuminate the area above your HID cutoff. What's really nice about this is that you get sufficient lighting via the halogen 9005 bulbs to illuminate reflectors on cars off to the side but still a good distance area without generating lumens that blind everybody in the beam path (just those that might be in front of you...but when they get close enough, you just de-select the high beams, and you're back to regular HID low beams with all the HID benefits).

This is really useful on dark mountain roads with a lot of hills and reflectorized snow plow markers (just did that sort of driving on my last midwest to Los Angeles road trip).

OF

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a newer Ody (Gen3 +), your other lamps (9005 type bulbs) do the high beam work. This is actually a very good setup. When you select high beams, the HID low beams stay on, and the halogen 9005's illuminate the area above your HID cutoff. What's really nice about this is that you get sufficient lighting via the halogen 9005 bulbs to illuminate reflectors on cars off to the side but still a good distance area without generating lumens that blind everybody in the beam path (just those that might be in front of you...but when they get close enough, you just de-select the high beams, and you're back to regular HID low beams with all the HID benefits).

This is really useful on dark mountain roads with a lot of hills and reflectorized snow plow markers (just did that sort of driving on my last midwest to Los Angeles road trip).

OF
Thanks for your help and advice 0dy. I've finally decided what to do. So it doesn't make any sense to get the Honda TE parts because they are really expensive and there is less certainty on which parts is required exactly to make them work.

I will go with the Retrofit Source for the HID Lowbeams and use my stock for highbeams.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts