Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a good deal for an auto fire extinguisher at Ace hardware and wife have been asking for one for a while, finally bought a few for the house and one for each car. Was think about where to place it and finally found a good idea on how to install it. I know the best location is near the driver or between seats, but didn't want it to have it in direct sun light. Ended up using a set of magnets from ebay.
Automotive tire Audio equipment Jewellery Button Circle
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tire Grey
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire Grey
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle door

Reactions: Nrajeff

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
Isn't the point of a fire extinguisher to be able to get to it if you're trapped in your seat? I don't see the point of having it back there.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
I think if you are trapped in your seat your first concern would be to get out of the car.
Can't always do that. The goal is to at least use the fire extinguisher to buy you time so that you can be rescued.

Reactions: Odyssey.owner

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't the point of a fire extinguisher to be able to get to it if you're trapped in your seat? I don't see the point of having it back there.
Well my thoughts were more on assisting with a fire, or be able to get to the back and use it in the case of a fire on the Ody, but is good as well to think in what to do in the worse case scenario. I believe as @Camelot stated my first thought would be how to escape asap. I thought about putting one as well between the driver and passenger seats. My wife always tells me that she is more worried about crashing into a lake or pond and not be able to get out of the car. There have been a few fatalities this year here in South Florida with that scenario.... :( There have been about two recents fatalities here with fire but both with Tesla's. One was a doctor that lost control and crashed into a tree, the car sent a message to his wife (about the car being involved in a crash, and she got to the accident a few mins after the rescue got there. Another one was a kid with his girlfriend ...still is under investigation...kid wasn't speeding.

Reactions: DaveOdy

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well my thoughts were more on assisting with a fire, or be able to get to the back and use it in the case of a fire on the Ody, but is good as well to think in what to do in the worse case scenario. I believe as @Camelot stated my first thought would be how to escape asap. I thought about putting one as well between the driver and passenger seats. My wife always tells me that she is more worried about crashing into a lake or pond and not be able to get out of the car. There have been a few fatalities this year here in South Florida with that scenario.... :( There have been about two recents fatalities here with fire but both with Tesla's. One was a doctor that lost control and crashed into a tree, the car sent a message to his wife (about the car being involved in a crash, and she got to the accident a few mins after the rescue got there. Another one was a kid with his girlfriend ...still is under investigation...kid wasn't speeding.
Isn't a strong tap with screw driver would shatter the glass? Can keep one in the glove compartment I guess. It can be used for repair AND escape.
Someone did say that the spare spark plug will also shatter the glass easily so maybe keep a spare in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
At least you got one now, is helpful. I remember there was one in the DIY mod section and 2nd gen. Other locations mentioned were under seat, middle row mid seat area, and under glove box.

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am just not comfortable of having a fire extinguisher in the cabin area especially in the front. In an accident, it's bad enough to have the airbag going off in your face. Worst yet, it could be come a projectile.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
Why not just put it under the floor storage between first and second row seats?
It should be accessible from the driver's seat.

When fire breaks out, time is hyper-critical. After even a slight delay in starting to fighting the fire, it can become too dangerous to fight it with a portable extinguisher.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
537 Posts
I keep mine in the lower drivers door pocket, right at hand ready to spring into action lol.
Its a small halon unit doesnt take much room. I have a second larger one behind the drivers seat in case of large conflagrations.
In any case if you feel the need to mount one the fashionable place for such an accessory is traditionally the A pillar. It will remind you its there when you smash your face into it in a collision. (pre airbags I guess)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, I don't see a lot of potential use for a fire extinguisher like that. If there is a fire, its probably going to be under the hood. If its under the hood, its probably going to be a fuel related fire, meaning that someplace there will be a gas leak. Most all car fires that I have seen won't be stopped by a small fire extinguisher like that. But maybe if you get there quick enough you can put it out. Good Luck..

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally, I don't see a lot of potential use for a fire extinguisher like that. If there is a fire, its probably going to be under the hood. If its under the hood, its probably going to be a fuel related fire, meaning that someplace there will be a gas leak. Most all car fires that I have seen won't be stopped by a small fire extinguisher like that. But maybe if you get there quick enough you can put it out. Good Luck..
True, but hey u never know. I was with the kids in Alabama a few years back...we started a small fire inside one of my mother's in law metal drum...for some reason the fire started to spread around it. I was like holy cow!!. Thanks God she had a hose near by....and we were able to put that down. A cousin coming down from Ocala, FL in a Jeep had a piece of the transmission ejected from it...which cut a fuel line, and started with smokes then a fire. Some friends driving on another jeep saw the flames and told him about it.... quickly they took out a few small fire extinguisher to keep it like u said...off...and on...until the 🚒 show up a few mins later. Total lost, but fire didn't come in into the cabin.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Agree. BE super careful. If you have a fire under the hood. When you open the hood, air will rush in, and you may have a "burst" of fire. Better to get out, call 911, and have fire fighters, use their "big" hoses to flood the engine area.
ie. My ford bronco, had fuel leak, and caught fire. Fire personnel put it out. Again, Do not lift hood !. :mad:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Agree. BE super careful. If you have a fire under the hood. When you open the hood, air will rush in, and you may have a "burst" of fire. Better to get out, call 911, and have fire fighters, use their "big" hoses to flood the engine area.
ie. My ford bronco, had fuel leak, and caught fire. Fire personnel put it out. Again, Do not lift hood !. :mad:
This.
And i wouldnt attempt to raise a hood without gloves on. Still i think if you got to it in time with 2 small extinguishers or a large one you could knock it down depending on its origins. Electrical, if circuit is de energized, it shouldnt be a problem as you only have class a materials involved. If its just fuel in the vicinity you may get it. If its a case of an engine fire with the car running gtfo. Fool deserves to lose the car.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here's the whole story, if you want it:

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger that developed an odd problem of stalling out and not restarting. This would happen particularly after a hard stop. Eventually, I figured out it was due to fuel starvation - the fuel pump would suck in air and then was not able to prime itself again.

I figured out that I could get it going again by depressing a Schrader valve on the fuel rail and having a partner cycle the fuel pump until gas sprayed out of the Schrader valve.

One day, I pulled into a gas station low on gas. I refilled the tank, but the truck wouldn't start. So I did the Schrader valve trick to prime the engine and that got it running. Only one little problem, somehow the spilled gas on the hot engine ignited. I still had the hood up when I saw the flames. First, I tried to snuff them out, but the flames had spread down too low on the crankcase to reach. I sent my son into the station to ask for a fire extinguisher, but then I saw a "break glass in case of emergency" fire extinguisher mounted by the pumps.

I smashed the glass with the side of my fist, grabbed the extinguisher and pulled the pin. One quick puff and I had greenish powder on my engine and the fire was out. The manager from the store came out quickly. He had some kind of report to write, I guess, but he was happy that the fire had been put out without incident and not at all bothered that he needed to get the fire extinguisher recharged.

The truck still started and ran fine. I eventually traced the problem to a cheap Rock Auto pump I had put in, trying to fix a problem the truck had with dying after being started. I put in a Denso fuel pump and it worked a lot better.

Finally, the gas station was torn down and rebuilt (same brand) just a few months later. So I suppose if I had burned it down, it wouldn't have been a big loss, lol...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts