Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a burned out car in my neighborhood on the way home (no, I don't live in Afganistan), reminded me of the importance of carrying a small fire extinuisher in the Ody. Some of the German manufacturers have extinguishers designed to fit under the front seat to be quickly reached by the driver in an emergency. As the Ody is likely sold in countries that require fire extinguisher installation, Honda may have a package available in Europe. Anybody seen anything like this in the States? I am not interested in other aftermarket brackets which are a dime a dozen, just experience with any Honda parts, maybe from an overseas importer. TIA.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob. I've seen these systems, but I'm interested in the flexibility of a "non-hard-installed" system. I'm almost certain Honda has to install one from the factory for their European dealers. Its just a matter of finding an importer here or an exporter from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ever since my 1 year old Mustang caught on fire 15 years ago, I've kept a fire extinguisher under the front seat of all my cars (including my brand new Odyssey). No mount necessary; just lay it under there; it won't go anywhere and you can get at it fast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I may be relegated to doing just that if I cannot find a braket. My background as a tech steward for high performace driving schools tells me if it ain't tied down, it becomes a projectile in an accident. A five pound metal fire extinguisher is not something I want to be hit with. Its not something you would think about until you've seen as many roll overs as I have.

You are right, if it is not within the driver's reach while belted in the seat, it is of limited good. Still, better than nothing.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have an extinguisher designed for the car/van. I currently have it in the netting in the back. I would like to have it under my seat, but how? The power seat motor takes up all the space down there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess I'm going to rehash a 'post form the past" :)

I mounted a dry chem. fire extinguisher under the drivers seat on my 00. I bolted it to the seat cross bracket. I had to space it out from the steel support to make the stock plastic trim fit.

The fire extinguisher is smaller than I like, and I would need to be out of the drivers seat to get it, it is handy and out of the way. No one should kick it or hardly see it.

I agree, about bolting it down, just in case of a wreck. I have a saying for Off-Highway travel. If you need to know what can move freely and what must not. Lay on the floor with the 'item' held at arms-length above your face, then drop it on your face.

I've seen reports that "unbelted" riders in a vehicle are up to 80% likely to kill others when the fly around inside during a wreck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Does any one know fire extinguishers designed exclusively for use in Automobiles?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
arvinthsiva said:
Does any one know fire extinguishers designed exclusively for use in Automobiles?
Summit has them..I believe Jegs does too..........I would prefer to let the van burn and roast weenies

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Willie, watch out for the toxic fumes residue on the winnies, if it doesn't kill you then the smoke might!:D

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
chris 02 said:
Hey Willie, watch out for the toxic fumes residue on the winnies, if it doesn't kill you then the smoke might!:D
The fumes form continuous pumping of gas is what's going to kill me:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts