Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered a weird bug in the audio system on my new 2011 Odyssey. If I activate the handsfree system (push the button to make a call, wake up the "say the name of the person you'd like to call", etc) and go back to listening to music, the audio will be in mono. The left channel disappears completely and the right channel is heard out of all of the speakers. This happens with CDs and with iPod (haven't verified with FM or XM yet). It's really noticeable with some of the early 60s music where they'd have vocals on one side and instruments on the other side.

The only solution I've found is to turn the key off and back on (turning off the stereo is not enough). Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my Ody EX-L w/RES (about 2 weeks ago). Not sure if this is related, but I have a similar problem with my iPhone. When I plug my iPhone in for the first time after start up of van I don't hear anything. The only solution to my problem was to disconnect the phone and replug.

Do you have this problem as well? I am not using the Apple "connectors" but instead use a Dynex from BestBuy.

I will try and test your issue tonight and revert tomorrow through the post.

John - Orlando

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have an iphone, so there's not much to test. I see you're in Orlando as well, where did you buy your odyssey?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No worries - are you using the USB interface, I suspect testing that link would be similar. I am just afraid it might be due to the cable itself (or perhaps a bug) - but don't have a comparison point.

I bought my van at Coggin over on Orange Blossom Trail, just north of the "Touristic Center" of Orlando. What part of Florida are you in?

John - Orlando

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting - I have to ask... what type of deal did you get?

I bought an EX-L w/RES - $34,311 (w/destination) + TTT + Dealer Fees.

I had no trade in.

I feel pretty good about the price but learned that other folks in other dealerships (i.e. down in West Palm) were able to get lower Dealer Fees. I honestly didn't think about pushing them on this, since I felt the price was pretty good.

John - Orlando

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with the audio after using the HandFreeLink on the 2011 Odyssey. I have contacted Honda and Samsung and neither can offer up a solution. This is annoying! I am going to have it checked out when I bring my car in for installation of my remote starter. Let me know if you hear any answer in the meantime. If I get an answer, I will post here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue. Both playing MP3 cd's and off USB memory stick are missing a channel, like it directs the signal from one side to both. I was going to try disabling bluetooth on my phone and turning it back on. Traffic was heavy today so I didn't get to try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears the only solution to restore that channel is to turn the car off and back on again. I've told my dealership about it and I had a handful of techs come out and listen to it.

Calling Honda is probably the only way that this will ever be addressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have contacted Honda and I was told to have my dealership look at it. As I said earlier, I am waiting for my appointment for a remote installation to see what they say, but after hearing DJ Lists remarks, I am not expecting getting a satisfactory answer. By the way, the phone I own is a Samsung Convoy. I also tried a family member's LG phone (both phones are listed as being compatible with the Honda HandsFreeLink system) and I still had the same audio problem, so I am convinced that the audio problem is definitely with the Honda HandsFreeLink firmware/software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@ dj list

I have tested my van and can not seem to replicate the problem; instead I have a problem with the iphone to USB link (still).

I tried to replicate the problem you have by making a call using the BT; when I go back to the song everything appears normal (sound all around).

I am sure you tried this, but still worth mentioning... Have you tried exploring your audio configurations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
To DJ Lists and Astroricardo: which trim level of the 2011 Odyssey do you own?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MCO_ODY: Yes, I have sound all around, but it's in mono. Anything that plays only out of the left channel normally will not be heard at all after making a BT phone call (or just hitting the voice button and then canceling it).

Do you have the latest firmware in your phone? I remember seeing a list somewhere of what firmware versions were supported by the Odyssey.

yapster: I have an EX-L.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got back from the dealer...I had fully explained the problem with the service rep this morning (because his notes said that the radio would turn off after a phone call...I never said that...I said that the radio would go to mono after a phone call). When I got back to the dealer this afternoon, the service rep told me that the technician installed my remote starter, but could not locate a problem with the stereo after using the HandsFreeLink(!?!?). I showed the technician the problem myself and he agreed there was a definite difference in the sound after a phone call. He promised me that he would contact Honda tomorrow and call me with his results. When I got back in, I called Honda and told them that my problem was not yet resolved. I was promised that I would hear from a Honda Regional Technician within the next 48 hours. I will post later on, after I hear from both the dealer's technician and Honda's Regional Technician

·
Registered
12 Posts
The technician from my dealer called today. He says that he was in touch with Honda USA today. They told him that Honda is aware of the problem and that they are working on getting a CD together to update the software in the system. He did not know when this CD would be finished or when it would be delivered, but hopefully real soon. I would call Honda directly to let them know if you are having the same problem so that they are aware of how common it is. I did get a confirmation number regarding the problem. I did not hear from the Regional Tech Rep as of yet. When I do, I will post here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heard from the Honda Regional Technical Rep who confirms that there is a problem with the system and that Honda is working with HandsFreeLink to resolve the problem. He said that there would be a Honda Service Bulletin going out when the solution is available. I also called HandsFreeLink and the person I spoke to was not aware of the problem,but was passing my info along. They promised to get back with me also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for doing the legwork. I felt I wasn't going to find a solution without other complaints coming in. Let us know if you make any progress.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got my van on Monday, and experienced this for the first time today. Phone was connected via bluetooth with a USB stick connected. USB music was mono. It was more irritating than I expected, but that has a large dependency on the music actually using different channels. At any rate, I can't wait for a fix!

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Honda issued TSB 10-081 to address the following issue, amongst others:
The audio unit sound is in mono after using the HFL

See the 2011 Honda Odyssey Technical Service Bulletins sticky thread for details.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts