Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When first starting the van, it behaves as if first gear wants to be engaged when at a full stop. When at a stop sign, it's urging to go forward as if first gear is engaged. If I let off the brake, it crawls forward extremely fast and gets angry when I bring it to a full stop.

It goes away after about 5-10 minutes of driving, I assume when it's warm.

I've changed the transmission oil twice with 4 quarts. The old oil smelled. . swampy? Almost like it was cooked.

I installed a transmission cooler after market so I could occasionally tow a trailer. The max I've towed is about 2500 lbs.

Any idea what this could be? I don't know how else to describe it other than the first gear not wanting to let go when stopped at idle.
Thanks!

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
When at a stop sign, it's urging to go forward as if first gear is engaged.
First gear should be engaged while stopped. That's how automatic transmissions work. The torque converter allows slip between the transmission and engine.

What is the engine RPM at when this is happening? What is the engine RPM at if you put it in neutral when it is doing it? What is the ambient temperature when it is doing it?

-Charlie

Reactions: jnissen and Bjm0517

· Registered
3,671 Posts
As noted ^^^^^, this is normal AT behavior. All that I have ever driven will creep forward on level ground, brakes off, in "D". How fast is a function of engine speed, not tranny condition.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First gear should be engaged while stopped. That's how automatic transmissions work. The torque converter allows slip between the transmission and engine.

What is the engine RPM at when this is happening? What is the engine RPM at if you put it in neutral when it is doing it? What is the ambient temperature when it is doing it?

-Charlie
I'll have to check temps to see if I can pin down when it goes away. But it happens when cold.

The RPMs are above 1k, maybe 12-1500rpm. Switching to neutral immediately drops to normal (800 or so).

The more I research, the more it sounds like a torque converter issue. Sounds like it's not slipping when it's supposed to.

Looking at doing the 3x flush. Does anyone recommend adding the magnetic transmission fluid filter?

· Registered
3,671 Posts
Keep us updated when you find a solution.

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
The more I research, the more it sounds like a torque converter issue. Sounds like it's not slipping when it's supposed to.
Torque converter not slipping would stop the engine if the vehicle was stopped. I'm struggling to think of a scenario where engine RPM would go UP in drive.

-Charlie

Reactions: kernel

· Registered
256 Posts
Make sure you don't overfill the transmission. I have the 5 speed but on mine I add 3.7 qts which registers on the dipstick and drive it until its warm. On level surface after 60 seconds of shutting off the vehicle, I check the dipstick and make sure its right at the top mark on hot. Stone cold should be right in the middle.

· Registered
909 Posts
When first starting the van, it behaves as if first gear wants to be engaged when at a full stop. When at a stop sign, it's urging to go forward as if first gear is engaged. If I let off the brake, it crawls forward extremely fast and gets angry when I bring it to a full stop.

It goes away after about 5-10 minutes of driving, I assume when it's warm.

I've changed the transmission oil twice with 4 quarts. The old oil smelled. . swampy? Almost like it was cooked.

I installed a transmission cooler after market so I could occasionally tow a trailer. The max I've towed is about 2500 lbs.

Any idea what this could be? I don't know how else to describe it other than the first gear not wanting to let go when stopped at idle.
Thanks!
Throw some lubegard trans protect in on your next atf change. It will help to clean and provide extra lubrication for all the solenoids.
Also increasing the ability of the atf to handle and dissipate the heat.

· Registered
909 Posts
I'll have to check temps to see if I can pin down when it goes away. But it happens when cold.

The RPMs are above 1k, maybe 12-1500rpm. Switching to neutral immediately drops to normal (800 or so).

Looking at doing the 3x flush. Does anyone recommend adding the magnetic transmission fluid filter?
Yes remove the pathetic oe filter and add a Magnefine stainless steel atf filter. They are great to keep things clean. That was one of the first things I did.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
All the trans advice is OK but not addressing the root cause. 1500RPM at startup is a problem. I’d start with a good cleaning of the throttle body and MAP sensor. Then check the flexible duct between the air cleaner and throttle intake. If this is dirty it can hang up and the MAP sensor can fool the ECU into advancing RPM.

Report back. You may need to use a scan tool to do an idle relearn process. I’d be surprised if it’s transmission given the other facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
All the trans advice is OK but not addressing the root cause. 1500RPM at startup is a problem. I’d start with a good cleaning of the throttle body and MAP sensor. Then check the flexible duct between the air cleaner and throttle intake. If this is dirty it can hang up and the MAP sensor can fool the ECU into advancing RPM.

Report back. You may need to use a scan tool to do an idle relearn process. I’d be surprised if it’s transmission given the other facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd start here too. Clean the MAF and throttle body....both cheap and easy.

The transmission advice is good for the long term, especially since you are towing. Keep that fluid fresh and clean.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
deleted

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
1500RPM at startup is a problem.
1500rpm at startup if the weather is cold is totally normal. That's why I asked about ambient temperature.

-Charlie

· Registered
11,016 Posts
1500rpm at startup if the weather is cold is totally normal.
OP says 1500RPM in drive but 800RPM in neutral.

Both are potentially normal depending on temperature, but this high/low combination is odd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.