Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve got my ticket and am all aboard the ModTrain.

I swapped the Odyssey’s buggy whip antenna (AKA. Neighborhood street side shrubery checker) for the S2000 antenna. Looks great, sorta’ like the original antenna got melted down from driving too fast, and it works OK.

After an initial setback due to poor reception, I added an inline signal booster from Radio Shack for $20, and am now satisfied with the results. The S2000 antenna still doesn’t get as many stations as the original (28 scanning entire FM dial), but the signal booster has brought it into the acceptable range (plain S2000 antenna=13 stations, antenna w/booster=21 stations). Odd thing is, the buggy whip w/booster still gets the same 28 stations. Go figure.

You’ve got to love the Helm manual. For the first time in my life I felt confident grabbing hold of part of the dash and yanking it off. The manual shows where the pressure clips are (no need to hunt for hidden screws), tells you what other things you need to do prior to the step you are interested in (didn’t disassemble any more than I needed to, for once), and gives great detail on all the wiring connections (no more poke and hope with the Ohm meter).

I pulled the center section of dash from around the radio/dvd face, disconnected the controls (these connectors are easy push type, not the old pry with the screw drive variety), removed the radio/dvd, installed the amplifier in the antenna line and connected it’s power to the ACC line, tested it, then put it all back together.

The most time consuming part of the mod was finding an acceptable threaded connector between the S2000 antenna base and the thread extension. As mentioned before, a single nut of same screw size doesn’t have enough threads to do the job satisfactorily. I ended up grinding down the end nut from an old bicycle quick connect skewer, then coved the connection with a trimmed/ground down black rubber chair leg cover. Thanks Chuck for the ideas on these parts sources!

Now it’s on to the other couple dozen things I want to change. Viva La Mod!
------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
596 Posts
Guess the ol' whip works well, 'cause it is the ideal 31" length......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Jerry, I keep trying to defy those silly old laws of PHYSICS, but it just bites me in the ARSE every stinking time.

I had read about the best length for an antenna, but I thought I might be able to squeak by on this one, especially when there has been little or no mention of any signal loss or degradation that I can recall reading about.

RATS!

------------------
  • ’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
  • ’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

TNUCKELS

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 11-21-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts