Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(vent on)

Did the Odyssey's first oil change last weekend. All I have to say about the whole experience is this is the most miserable vehical I've ever had the pleasure of changing oil on.

For starters, I couldn't even find the drain plug, had to look that one up in Helm's (it's paying me back already). It's nicely wedged between the frame and the exhaust and impossible to see without being right underneath it. Now, not only do you get the opportunity to scrape your nuckles, but you get the chance to burn your wrist as well. Bad Honda!

Good thing I looked in Helm because now I learn there is a washer that is supposed to be replaced. Good thing I looked because there wasn't one on the plug when I took it out. It fell in the oil drain and I would have probably thrown it out with the oil and wondered why all my new oil was on the garage floor. It seems Honda isn't good enough to use a captive Teflon(?) washer like everyone else in the world does. I guess they just want to be sure they get their bucks no matter who does the oil change. No time to run 20 miles to the dealer, I just re-used the old washer and tighted it a bit extra. Bad Honda! If there is an aftermarket solution to this rediculous drain plug I'd like to hear it.

Next, off came the oil filter. I turn it upside down to drain the extra oil out of it. Oil runs out like there wasn't even an element inside there or maybe the check valve is bad. Well, both are present and seem OK but this is scary. I don't see myself ever buying a Honda brand filter now (not that I would anyway). Bad Honda!

Speaking of oil filters, is it just me or is this filter rediculously small for large of an engine? I think the filter on every four I've ever owned is larger than Odyssey's. Is there a larger filter available? There's certainly room for one. Bad Honda!

Now comes fill time. Good grief!! You can't even get the oil bottle within six inches of the fill hole!! Who the atch-e-double-l thought of this one? Did the fact that somebody might want to fill their engine with oil escape Honda engineers? Are their prizes for the most stupid designs or something? Extra Bad Honda!

I can't wait to change the transmission fluid. Why do I think the drain plug is unnacessable without taking the engine out and I'll have to remove the left rear wheel to reach the filler tube. Grrrrrrrrrr!

(vent off)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
My first oil change was a nightmare too. Jim's first oil change

I've since gotten it down to a 10 minute affair and I don't get dirty.

If you're in the Houston area and need help, drop me a note.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Good thing I looked in Helm because now I learn there is a washer that is supposed to be replaced. </font>
That's standard for drain plugs. Don't make that a Honda or Odyssey problem. Every car out there has a crush washer for the drain plug; you're not supposed to re-use the washer. You're supposed to get a new one and let the bolt crush a fresh seal when you tighten it back up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If there is an aftermarket solution to this rediculous drain plug I'd like to hear it.</font>
http://www.fumotovalve.com

I haven't tried it, but people do seem to like it.

A lot of what you're describing isn't unusual for Honda, from my experience. Although, I'm not sure your take on their oil filter is right.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same reaction to the filter as texneus. I've worked on or owned everything from 1.8L's to 455's. I've NEVER seen such a small filter (related to engine size). I always say, if you can provide a larger filter surface... do it! All things equal, a larger filter would be more desirable. I guess Honda really buys into the marketing crap of 3/3,000... they figure the filter can be that small because you'll be changing it out frequently.

I'm sure the engineering side has addressed the filter and it is more than adequate. I assume the 02's filter is the same.... ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am glad I paid $22.00 for my first oil change at dealer.
Now I know why my dealer didn't wash my car for me. They are supposed to wash every car comes in for service. Guess $19.99 express oil & filter change doesn't include car wash.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"That's standard for drain plugs. Don't make that a Honda or Odyssey problem. Every car out there has a crush washer for the drain plug; you're not supposed to re-use the washer."

This "crush washer" is most definately not standard. In 11 years of changing my own oil on six different cars of six different makes, Odyssey the only vehicle that has ever called for a new washer of any kind. All the other vehicles had a Teflon like washer that is captive to the drain plug (i.e. it does not come off) which is reused (i.e. there is no directive to change it, ever) and they've all lasted for the life of each vehicle without leaking. How could something so simple get so goofed up?

Come to think of it, I changed the oil in my lawn tractor last weekend too...it doesn't have a washer at all! Maybe Honda should send some engineers to Briggs & Straton in Milwalkee for a lesson on designing drain plugs :).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
Maybe Honda should send some engineers to Briggs & Straton in Milwalkee for a lesson on designing drain plugs :).</font>
Maybe they'd trade ideas both ways and we'd end up with bland colors on lawnmowers and edgers
!

Regards,

Maugham

<center>
</center>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"My first oil change was a nightmare too. I've since gotten it down to a 10 minute affair and I don't get dirty."

Now that I've done it once next time should go much smoother and quicker now that I know where everything is, what the pitfalls are, etc. I was being facisious in my final comments but today I read of removing engine mounts to change the power stearing belt and removing the gas tank to change the fuel filter, but there is now question about if it can be changed at all...sheesh! Is this van going to steel the reigning crown for "Most difficult vehical to work on" from my Dad's 79 Malibu?

I reviewed your thread, there are some good tips. Wish now I saw it on Friday, but allas. I especially like the funnel idea, that's one I'll definately try next time. I've heard the grocery bag trick before but I can't say I see the need...why not just put the drain pan under the filter as it is removed? I do this on every car because oil running out of the filter and passages is inevitable. Works for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
Good thing I looked in Helm because now I learn there is a washer that is supposed to be replaced....No time to run 20 miles to the dealer, I just re-used the old washer and tighted it a bit extra. Bad Honda!</font>
I, too, reused my washer during the second oil change. I bought a new one for the first oil change, not knowing what it was. When I saw that little metal washer, I was like, "What the !??!"

I couldn't believe I'd have to replace a little piece of metal. Mine didn't look "crushed." :)

I'll keep my eye on it and make sure it isn't leaking.

It's not the money, it's the principle! :-D

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

·
Registered
129 Posts
I took a look at my oil drain plug last night, after reusing the washer.

There was a little bit of oil on it.
I gave it a little tightening, and hopefully "crushed" the crush washer a little better so it will seal.

If it doesn't, then I guess I'll be doing another oil change very soon. :)

I just ordered a couple of filters & washers from H-and-A for the future.

Moral of the story:
Replace the washer.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have changed washers on at least one other car, and I can't remember which one. May have been VW or Volvo, as I get older I seem to forget more stuff........

John

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by texneus:
[ I was being facisious in my final comments but today I read of removing engine mounts to change the power stearing belt and removing the gas tank to change the fuel filter, but there is now question about if it can be changed at all...sheesh!

Tex-look at the PS belt setup. If you can see a way to replace the belt w/o jacking up the engine and removing the mount-post here. I can find nothing in the Helm manual. Maybe I missed something. In all fairness-the belt looks like pretty sturdy and may last until the timing belt need replaced, unless something else causes its demise. (oil leak etc)

Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate to tell you this.....
But that is not a small oil filter compared to many other manufacturers. As to ease of changing oil...It is actually quite simple compared to many other cars out there. I changed the oil on a 2002 MB last week, oil filter was about the size of a small juice glass (half of a pepsi can)!! In order to get it off you have to remove a lower splash shield (20 minute job)!! The washer on any drain plug should be replaced every time the oil is changed. I'm not sticking up for Honda, but, I have changed a shit load of oil!!!!
Just my 2 Cents
John

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
I had the same reaction to the filter as texneus. I've worked on or owned everything from 1.8L's to 455's. I've NEVER seen such a small filter (related to engine size). I always say, if you can provide a larger filter surface... do it! All things equal, a larger filter would be more desirable. I guess Honda really buys into the marketing crap of 3/3,000... they figure the filter can be that small because you'll be changing it out frequently.

I'm sure the engineering side has addressed the filter and it is more than adequate. I assume the 02's filter is the same.... ?
</font>
I like the fact that they use the same filter on most of those vehicles. You dont have to stock up 2 kinds if you have 2 hondas.
The splash guards also appear to be the same in all of them!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My '02LX just had my first (3,500) Oil change at the dealers for $19.88. The level was right on and I just thought the price was well worth the hassle.

They also fixed the pull to the right with a new rear right tire and an all wheel balancing.

·
Registered
596 Posts
[I have changed a shit load of oil!!!!
Just my 2 Cents
John[/B][/QUOTE]

Is "shit load" a metric measurement? I, too, have changed many "loads" of oil and found this Odyssey to be one of the easier changes. My only problem was that the oil would like to overshoot the drain pan when first released, but, that problem can be pretty easily addressed. The filter is one of the easiest ones I have encountered and oil does not drain down onto a bunch of wiring, as it did on my DC van.

Re oil filters, the test, these days, is not the size, but what's inside. The filter media and anti-drainback valves are the important items to consider and, I feel sure, Honda will have a handle on those.

The funnel is an item some caveman discovered while trying to pour booze into a gourd and most of us have been using them ever since.(well, I'm not quite that old, Hee! Hee!)

If an oil change is the biggest challenge one ever has with this van, what a blessing it will be! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
859 Posts
Anyone else notice this. In the '02 owners manual under "specifications", the engine oil capacity is listed as 4.6qts (US) W/filter, 4.2qts W/O filter and a total capacity of 5.3qts. I take this as meaning the oil pan still contains most of the left over 0.7qts even with filter change. Seems like allot of dirty oil left behind after draining. Is the oil pan designed to hold back nearly half a qt. from draining along with any sentiment? Or is most of this trapped higher up in the engine? I won't be doing my first change for quit awhile and don't want to put it up on ramps just to look. Thanks.
-Mark

·
Registered
306 Posts
I didn't have any problem changing the oil of my dad's Odyssey.
I just went under the car and found the drain plug in couple of seconds(read manual before) and found the filter.

I had changed other Honda's oil before so I knew about the washer but I never replace them everytime. I have a 1998 Civic and I only replaced the washer once. Funny thing is all Honda shares the same filter(except couple). I only have to buy one kind of filter even my Honda is 1.6L and the Odyssey is 3.5L.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts