Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from bringing my '01 in for it's first oil change at around 6000 miles. The service rep turned me away and was ADAMANT that I should NOT change the break-in oil before 7500 miles. Said if I do the engine will prematurely start to use oil. My wife was quick to remind me the dealer where we got the van told me the exact same thing when I took delivery of the car.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Go back to the dealer and tell him you have 1,500 miles worth of backing up that do not show on the odometer.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Bowen:
Just got back from bringing my '01 in for it's first oil change at around 6000 miles. The service rep turned me away and was ADAMANT that I should NOT change the break-in oil before 7500 miles. Said if I do the engine will prematurely start to use oil. My wife was quick to remind me the dealer where we got the van told me the exact same thing when I took delivery of the car.</font>
I thought that the recommendation of 7,500 miles is for normal conditions and that 3,750 is for "severe conditions" such as high or low temperatures or lots of short trips or stop-and-go driving, which includes just about all driving.

Tell him you do about 1/4 of your driving with lots of short trips in stop-and-go conditions.

If he has any comments about Honda's recommendation of 3,750 mile oil changes for severe driving, please let us know here.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He told me the severity of the driving did not matter during the break in period. 2 mile trips or 30 mile trips. 7500 is the magic number. He said he knew one customer that took almost 1 1/2 years to reach the first oil change interval. He said AFTER the first change going to the shorter 3,750 interval was recommended.

This wasn't his recommendation either. He said it's documented straight from HONDA and has to do with the "SUPER" oil the van is delivered with.

[This message has been edited by Joe Bowen (edited 01-26-2002).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, on my 99 Ody EX, I changed the oil and filter at 1,000 miles. Since then, it has been oil and filter at 5,000 miles, and every 5,000 miles thereafter.

I have 125,000 miles on the engine and have no (as in zero) oil usage or loss between changes. I guess I haven't hit that "prematurely" point yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"He said it's documented straight from HONDA and has to do with the "SUPER" oil the van is delivered with."

I think he was right about the interval. It was spelled out in the Odyssey manual.

But I think 6K or 7.5K makes very little difference, if any. I'll do mine at 5K.

I wonder why Honda, or anyone else, doesn't sell this "super" oil. Would be nice.

-- Hoa

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soldbear:

I wonder why Honda, or anyone else, doesn't sell this "super" oil. Would be nice.

-- Hoa[/B]</font>
My guess is that any oil that can hold up for 7500 miles under the MOST SEVERE driving conditions might cost more than $1.69/QT.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm not from Missouri, but, ya gotta show me where it says to leave the oil in for 7,500, no matter what the driving conditions. On page 196 of the 2001 owner's manual, it tells the owner to be sure not to change the oil before the INTERVAL SHOWN IN THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE! On page 243 of that same publication, the severe service schedule indicates that "item A", replace engine oil and filter, should be done first at 3750 MILES, and every 3750 miles thereafter. I know my reading comprehension is not the greatest, but, those instructions seem very clear to me.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw somewhere where it said not to change the 1st oil change early.
But when I questioned the dealer (sales man) thinking it may be some break in oil.
He said "NO there is no break in oil, It's the same stuff.
Is this 1st oil a 'break in lubricant or not???????????

·
Registered
628 Posts
Let me add a few relative comments on this subject.

This same discussion periodically arises on a certain Honda Goldwing site. The recommended 1st change for an 1800 Wing is at 4000 miles. Of course, many people like to change out the oil on a new bike at about 1000 miles to get rid of those chunks and shavings of steel and aluminum that they think is floating about in their new crankcase (which , of course, is a bunch of gobleygook).

Likewise, another bunch (me included) believe that manufacturers know a whole lot more about these engines than we do and there is a validity to following these recommendations and waiting until that magic mileage occurs to make the first change. In each of these schools of thought there is a persistent running belief that the manufacturers (Honda specifically) installs a "break-in" oil upon assembly.

HORSEFEATHERS!

I have had the opportunity twice to tour the Marysville, OH Honda motorcycle assembly plant (we also got to tour the Accord and Acura 3.2 plant as well). At end of the assembly line EACH Goldwing is put onto a stationary dyno and is run through the gears up to a speed of about 90 mph. At the conclusion of this dyno testing each motorcycle is then driven to the crating station where the first thing that they do is... ta da...drain out about 2.5 to 3 quarts of the oil and then crate up the bike for shipment. My Honda motorcycle dealer believes that they logically recycle this oil and put it into other engines being assembled later.

Last Feb. I had the occasion to witness the uncrating and assembly of my new '01 Honda Goldwing GL1800 ABS at Freeport (IL) Honda -Kawasaki. After assembly at the dealership the technician ASKED ME what kind of oil I wanted him to add to the crankcase. I chose a Honda brand 10w-40 non synthetic oil.

I'll bet that auto manufacturers, as well, do not use any magic break-in oil other than a detergent, high quality dyno oil. The whole concept here is that the rings have to seat to the cylinder walls and it takes a while for this to occur. Some friction is good and that is why they say wait X number of miles.

:>)

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, leather steering wheel cover

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
58 Posts
Having done the first oil change myself, lo these many years ago, I can tell you that it had a different consistency than the standard petroleum based Castrol GTX that I use. It was VERY slippery in comparison.

Synthetic? An additive like STP? I don't know, but it is different from standard motor oils. DUTCH

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just read in my local paper a column about this exact subject. It actually stated that the new Odyssey has an additive in the oil and it should not be changed for the first time until 3,750 miles.

The mechanic writing this column stated that he would recommend changing the oil for a new vehicle at 1,000 miles BUT since Honda has this additive in place he said to follow Honda's advice. He went on to say that it was a good thing what Honda did, and hoped other manufactures would do the same in the future. If you would like I can try and scan the article for review.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you would like I can try and scan the article for review.
Please do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sixtn39:
Please do.
</font>
I'll try and scan it tonight and post.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For what it's worth, my Honda mechanics--all of them extremely trustworthy--agree that there's something different about the oil that comes in Hondas from the factory. They don't claim to know what it's all about, but they're all adamant about it: that oil is different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sixtn39:
Please do.
</font>
As promised here is the article - enjoy!

From The Wheel Doctor
Bob Sikorsky
The New York Times

Printed in The Sunday Patriot News, Harrisburg PA, 1/27/02

Dear Bob: I just purchased a new 2002 Honda 0dyssey. I, like you, am a strong believer in changing the oil and transmission fluid after the initial 500 to 1,000 miles. But the owner's manual specifically states:

“Do not change the engine oil before the first recommended service, 3,700 miles.” Is there a special break-in oil in the engine? What is the correct thing to do? Thank you, C.C., Northport, N.Y.

A: There is indeed a special break-in oil in your new Hondas.

According to Art Garner, the Torrance, California based manager of corporate public relations for American Honda Motor Co., the original factory oil in all Hondas contains a special additive that helps the vehicle break in better and helps the rings seat more efficiently. For that reason, Honda prefers that the original crankcase fill with the special break-in additive remain in the car until the initial service is performed, as duly noted at around 3,700 miles.

So my advice would be to stick with Honda's advice and don't change the oil until the first recommended service. However, on new vehicles that don't use a special break-in oil or supplement - which includes those from practically every other manufacturer - it's prudent to have the oil and transmission fluids changed at around the 1,000-mile mark to get rid of any abrasive break-in debris and give the car a head start in the quest far longevity.

Kudos to Honda for giving their buyers an extra edge in the longevity game by adding the special break-in additive!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
This topic and related have been discussed in length before. Honda does in fact have an official stance on this, as documented in a link that Chuck posted in this thread...

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000014.html

Just FYI. In case you didn't see this thread.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 01-28-2002).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Couple of thoughts that make me suspicious:

1) As mentioned before, why doesn't Honda offer this break-in oil for sale to satisfy a more frequent oil change? You would think it would be a good profit item that people would buy.
2) Similar to what Jerry O mentioned, in my 2002 manual, for break-in, it says do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule. Well that means either 7500 miles OR 1 year for the normal schedule, and 3750 miles OR 6 months for the severe schedule. So if it says to change it in 6 months, that invalidates the "hard preached magic mileage rule".

It further says that you should follow these same recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine. For this second engine, where does one get this "special oil"?

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vquan:
Couple of thoughts that make me suspicious:

1) As mentioned before, why doesn't Honda offer this break-in oil for sale to satisfy a more frequent oil change? You would think it would be a good profit item that people would buy.
2) Similar to what Jerry O mentioned, in my 2002 manual, for break-in, it says do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule. Well that means either 7500 miles OR 1 year for the normal schedule, and 3750 miles OR 6 months for the severe schedule. So if it says to change it in 6 months, that invalidates the "hard preached magic mileage rule".

It further says that you should follow these same recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine. For this second engine, where does one get this "special oil"?

Just food for thought.
</font>
As I stated above, according to my service rep the maintenance interval applies AFTER the break-in period. He was clear when he said HONDA recommends the first change at 7500 miles whether it takes 3 months or 18 months.

·
Registered
301 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Bowen:
As I stated above, according to my service rep the maintenance interval applies AFTER the break-in period. He was clear when he said HONDA recommends the first change at 7500 miles whether it takes 3 months or 18 months.

</font>
Wrong. The owners manual clearly states under Break-in Period:

"Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule."

The interval for Normal conditions is 12 months. The interval for severe conditions is 6 months.

Since all Canadian Odysseys must follow the severe conditions schedule I would have possibly voided my warranty by leaving the oil in the engine past 6 months.

[This message has been edited by Canodyssey (edited 01-31-2002).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts