Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

New to Odyssey ownership as of this past weekend but I thought I'd share my story with you all. I've been looking for a used Honda Odyssey 05-08 for a few weeks now; we couldn't afford a massive car payment with a baby on the way so we opted for an older vehicle with higher miles with all the toys in it.

We looked hard for a vehicle that had been well taken care of mechanically and on the interior. I'd done research on Odysseys and knew that I didn't want the PAX tires, and that any van I purchased in this year range, should it be a touring, would probably have them. My husband and I decided we'd price the cars we were looking at accordingly; with Pax tires we'd like to give ourselves some room to replace the wheels and tires with regular ones, without PAX tires we'd be more willing to pay a higher price right away.

We found a lot of vehicles that were close to our desires, but not quite right ('08 no PAX but horribly kept on the inside, '07 with PAX but no exterior marks or damage and mostly clean on the inside, or an '05 with PAX and clean on the inside and outside...all three not colors we'd prefer).

I finally found one at a local dealership, an '07 Touring in the color we wanted with the features we wanted. And looking at the online ad...no mention of PAX. The internet price...not bad either.

We headed there on Saturday and spent most of the day there. Test drove the van right away. Afterward I looked at the tires myself (checked the model number) and was disappointed, saying “those look like PAX tires.” The salesman quickly told me, “no, those are regular tires, the original owner had the PAX ones removed.” I asked my husband how the tires drove and he said “they kind of feel like the drive of the PAX tires.” The salesman assured us once again that they were not PAX tires, and that we were lucky because we would not want PAX tires. “They are like $500 a tire to replace, only dealerships can do them...you don't want those.” No, indeed we didn't.

Him saying this made me happy about the vehicle, but I was still slightly suspicious. While negotiating the price of the car, I stopped him and said, “before we go any further on price, can we have someone confirm that those are or aren't PAX tires?” He said sure and disappeared to go find people to check the tires. A bunch of the salesmen and a manager went out to the van and looked at the tires.

After 30 minutes or so, they came back in and our salesman returned to us, saying “They're not PAX, they're just normal tires.” We ended up paying close to the high middle end of our budget for the van, but were happy because we didn't have to reserve a bit to pay for the PAX tire replacement. Took the Ody home and loved it to pieces.

On Sunday, I was talking to my dad about the van and he asked about the tires; he wanted to know if the tires themselves were good quality tires, since they were new. We looked it up online, but it wasn't clear that they were specifically PAX tires or not. I decided to head over to a Sears to ask them for their opinion of the tires.

At Sears, the tire salesperson came out to my van and looked at the wheels. “Those are regular tires,” he said. “But wait, let me go ask the techs to come out and look at it.” He pulled two techs from the garage and they came out. After about two seconds of looking at the tire, they said “Yep those are PAX tires. We can't touch those or do anything with them. Sorry.”

Long story....continued in part 2. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called the dealership on Sunday an hour and a half before closing and a manager answered. Told him that I had purchased an Odyssey from them that I was assured didn't have PAX tires, yet the Sears just told me that I do have PAX tires. He told me to bring it in and he'd have a look at it.

Arrived shortly before closing (I live about 30-40 miles from the dealership I bought from) and without even looking at the wheels, another manager met me at the door and apologized for the PAX tires. He took responsibility for being the one who concluded that they weren't PAX tires on Saturday, and offered to replace my PAX tires with four regular wheels and tires and give me a spare tire at no cost to me. I thanked him and he told me to call on Tuesday and we'd get the wheels fixed up.

On Tuesday, I called the dealership and the same manager tells me that to replace the PAX tires are expensive, and if I wouldn't mind sharing the cost? Hell no. I bought a van under the impression that they weren't PAX tires, I shouldn't have to pay extra for it now. He apologized and said he'd talk to the general manager about it.

The general manager approved the new wheels/tires/spare and I brought my Ody in today to get that done. I felt the way it was done was kind of shady (they had me look at the Odys in their used lot and pick the wheel/tire I wanted, and then the two vans would switch wheels). It worked out for me but I wonder how the next unknowing/unsuspecting person is going to feel when their EX-L that they just bought somehow has PAX tires. o_O

This is the first vehicle I've ever purchased on my own (I had a car before but my parents had bought me it, so I am taking this purchase very seriously!). I just find it was such a weird chain of events that led to me getting the van I wanted, at the price I wanted, without the PAX tires. Just for reference, the other '07 Ody Touring I was looking at had the PAX tires, was in worse condition on the interior, and had 20,000 more miles on it than the one I bought...and was listed at $500 more with a no haggle policy.

So I felt like I got a steal. I'll take good care of my Ody from here on out. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Interesting. I feel sorry for the poor sucker these jack asses get to buy that non-Touring with the PAX they swapped in. :( . Seems you found a stealer who is scum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're 16"s. I went around and checked all the Gen III Odysseys they had on the lot and they all had 16's. I insisted on a 17" but walked all over the lot in 100 degree heat and could not find any. I figured while not ideal, it was preferable to keeping the PAX tires on. The only 17"s I saw were on the 2011/2012 ones, and they certainly weren't going to pull those off of a new Odyssey for me. lol

I figure later if I want to invest more money in better wheels, then I can go and pick out exactly what I want. This was just a quick fix/solution to get those PAX off without having to pay dearly out of pocket for it right after just buying it from the dealer.

The tires are pretty much new...Bridgestone Turanzas. Wheels were in great condition with no scuff or scratch marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Honda....Need I say more

·
Registered
573 Posts
Glad it worked out for you in the end, but I have a few questions...

1) How can you, your husband, salesman, and whomever else who looked at the tires before you bought the van NOT see that they were PAX? If you look at the sidewall of the tires, there is a PAX logo on there and you can clearly see it says PAX. Not only that, but the PAX tires have those metric wheel size numbers for the diamater like R460 or something instead of R16 or R17. Granted, I wouldn't assume you would know about the metric sizing numbers, but the PAX logo and words are impossible to miss if you look at the sidewall of the tires.

2) How can the dealer just swap tires off another van like that??? I assume it is a used van, but still... while it would be fine for you because you know what happened with the swap and hopefully, they explained to you that if you get a flat, to IGNORE the MID telling you that you can still drive 100 miles and instead, pull over right away... The other person who will be getting PAX wheels on their EX-L will be totally clueless and you would think the dealer would be liable since none of their documentation or manuals will mention PAX at all!

3) Finally, does your Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors work? I believe the Non-Pax has different sensors in the tires than the PAX ones. At least the part numbers are different. Not sure if they are interchangeable. Also, the EX-L doesn't show actualy tire pressure PSI readings while the Touring does. Not sure if the EX-L sensors give that info to the Touring computer.

Just some things I was curious about... a plain swap with a non-PAX van just seems terribly wrong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad it worked out for you in the end, but I have a few questions...

1) How can you, your husband, salesman, and whomever else who looked at the tires before you bought the van NOT see that they were PAX? If you look at the sidewall of the tires, there is a PAX logo on there and you can clearly see it says PAX. Not only that, but the PAX tires have those metric wheel size numbers for the diamater like R460 or something instead of R16 or R17. Granted, I wouldn't assume you would know about the metric sizing numbers, but the PAX logo and words are impossible to miss if you look at the sidewall of the tires.

2) How can the dealer just swap tires off another van like that??? I assume it is a used van, but still... while it would be fine for you because you know what happened with the swap and hopefully, they explained to you that if you get a flat, to IGNORE the MID telling you that you can still drive 100 miles and instead, pull over right away... The other person who will be getting PAX wheels on their EX-L will be totally clueless and you would think the dealer would be liable since none of their documentation or manuals will mention PAX at all!

3) Finally, does your Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors work? I believe the Non-Pax has different sensors in the tires than the PAX ones. At least the part numbers are different. Not sure if they are interchangeable. Also, the EX-L doesn't show actualy tire pressure PSI readings while the Touring does. Not sure if the EX-L sensors give that info to the Touring computer.

Just some things I was curious about... a plain swap with a non-PAX van just seems terribly wrong!
1. Honestly, between the six of us (salesman, manager, husband and I, Sears tire salesman and Sears tire tech), I was the only one who originally identified them as PAX tires. I probably did more research on the van and tires than any of the salesmen or managers (or my husband) ever did. I did recognize them, not by the PAX symbol but by the wheel size numbers. I figured that it wouldn't hurt to confirm it with the salesman when we initially looked at it, and was confused when he said they were regular tires. This is why several times throughout the day, I asked them to please make sure they were not PAX tires and to come back and let me know either way. After we left, I still had a feeling about them, which is why I took them to Sears for their opinion.

2. I thought the same thing. It was kind of shady, and even though it worked out for me in the end I feel bad for the next person who ends up with them on a vehicle that doesn't usually have them (they took them off my 07 Touring and put them on an 07 EX-L). I know to ignore it when it says I can drive another 100 miles on a flat (they gave me a spare, so we'd just pull over and immediately use the spare).

3. The TPMS do work and it's displaying the tire pressure correctly. I'm not sure what sensors they are using but they're working properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts