Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a minivan for my family and I almost pulled my trigger on Odyssey. But I keep hearing about VCM / transmission issues on Odyssey and people suggesting to buy Sienna instead. I have not looked at Sienna yet as I think Odyssey look sharper than Sienna.

I own Accord 2015 and have clocked 70K miles and is running very well; It made me think Honda’s are very reliable until I stumbled on to the VCM issues on Reddit and this forum. So, based on your experience, which one should I get as my first minivan ? I am just looking for a reliable car and I am ok with boring driving dynamics.

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
VCM is easily disabled for around $100-125 so I wouldn't get too concerned about that. Have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic and have them pull the rear spark plugs for inspection. That will tell right away if there are any issues. Even if there are, some new plugs and the disable device (VCMTunerII, VCMuzzler, MaxMuzzler, etc.) usually solves any issues that may already be there. With the Toyota, it's a 4 hour job just to change the spark plugs, so that's a major and costly maintenance item when they become due for replacement. As for transmission issues, simply change the fluid on a regular basis and the trans will last many years with no issues.

The Toyota is a good vehicle but they have their issues, as well. I recently replaced an AC compressor on a 2013 Sienna that had a failed solenoid valve in it. I also had to replace the entire upper glove box assembly ($450) because the lid wouldn't stay open. Turns out they like to crack and break causing the spring not to hold the door up. Toyota parts are more expensive than Honda and Honda parts are expensive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had both. There are pros and cons to both. The sienna is more reliable imo overall. 2grfe engine is bulletproof. The 6 speed auto is good but changing fluid is a science (sealed transmission). Timing chain so no need to do anything there. Plugs are more difficult to change on sienna than odyssey. Yotas had door issues too but put out an extended warranty on them. No issues on ours though. It's smoother than older gen odyssey but odyssey handles better. Newer gen seats in odyssey more comfy than last gen sienna but the two other gen odyssey seats less comfy. Yotas a little more plastics. Overall our sienna has been more reliable. About the same gas mileage. Sienna is without mount issues in the odyssey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had both. There are pros and cons to both. The sienna is more reliable imo overall. 2grfe engine is bulletproof. The 6 speed auto is good but changing fluid is a science (sealed transmission). Timing chain so no need to do anything there. Plugs are more difficult to change on sienna than odyssey. Yotas had door issues too but put out an extended warranty on them. No issues on ours though. It's smoother than older gen odyssey but odyssey handles better. Newer gen seats in odyssey more comfy than last gen sienna but the two other gen odyssey seats less comfy. Yotas a little more plastics. Overall our sienna has been more reliable. About the same gas mileage. Sienna is without mount issues in the odyssey.
GoHerdMan: What is your opinion on the floor seat rails in thee 2011-up Sienna? l got a few kids and it looks difficult to take the rear mats out. What about the sand / dirt getting inside the rail system?

I'm thinking of upgrading my trusty but rusty 2005 Odyssey LX for 8 seaters 2014-17 Odyssey or 2014-15 Sienna (FWD).
I want to stick with the more reliable 6 speed trannys for both vehicles.
I like how Sienna's come with roof rails, electric p/s, easily storable middle seat, timing chain, no VCM.

I love the huge hidden storage under the second row in the 3rd Gen Odyssey but disappointed it looks harder to access it in the 4th gen Odyssey.

Rice

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't have any issues with the rails. My only complaint is the seats are really hard to slide fwd and back. Perhaps mine need greased or they are just like that. Ours has been ultra reliable with zero issues and at 128k. Our factory radio is glitching some now as I turn knob to right it lowes volume so you have to turn it hard and fast lol. The trunk space is smaller than odyssey. Sienna has ecoode but it's just shift points

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Timing chain so no need to do anything there.
...unless the guides, tensioner, or oil seals fail. Then it's an expensive repair.

Otherwise, there's no factory-prescribed service required on the timing chain like there is for the timing belt on the Odyssey.

·
Registered
152 Posts
And keep in mind the 2grfe and the newer version dropped in the last two years of production are readily available and inexpensive. Very strong and reliable lexus designed engine. Very rare to have any issues. The mounts are known to be rock solid too. The six speed transmission is weird though. Very sensitive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is the list I generated when comparing the XSE to the odyssey touring. There are more, but these are what stuck out for me, personally.

Honda Touring Feature Delta
+Cabin Watch
-MPG
+Leather seats
+Rear Entertainment System
-Only 4 USB ports - Front Console (1 Port) 2nd-Row (2 Ports) 3rd-Row (1 Port)
-8 In. Display (vs 9 in. Display)
-CabinTalk only through headphones
-No wireless phone charger option
+3rd row integrated shades
+Driver seat memory
+Reverse tilt down side mirrors

1 - 9 of 9 Posts