Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put the first coat of Zaino on my van today and I think it's gonna look better than any wax I've ever used.

A bit of background. I screwed it up a couple of weeks ago and I now have some nice scratches in a few places. I stupidly used a scotchbrite pad on some nasty bugs and other assorted grime and it looked great until it was dry (I almost cried). I got it as part of my divorce settlement (long story) it had not been well maintained by my ex. So I ordered some Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z7 (which they shipped very quickly BTW and they threw in two applicator pads), hoping the Z5 would erase my mistakes.

Anyway, to make a long story long. I washed with Dawn until it was squeaky clean, then I washed with Z7. Dried it with some nice 100% cotton towels. Applied a very very thin layer of Z1 (thanks for the tips in this forum). Put on some Z5 and some Z2 on the wheels then had some lunch. Wiped off the Z5 and Z2 (I don't like to call it buffing because it was too easy). I would have to say that it looks better than it has for a long time but not up to the shine I want (yet). The wheels look better than they did when they were new.

I'm going to put another coat of Z5 on tomorrow and hope that it covers the scratches better (may have to buff them out). I may put a few more coats of Z5 on before going to Z2 (if it is covering the scratches). I'll post some pics of the final product, with some before pics of the scratches.

I would have to say that I love Zaino and anyone thinking about using it should go for it. It is well worth the money.

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi -
Pioneer 1665
Helm Electrical
Zaino

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scadajedi:
What is ZAINO? What about Z1,Z2 ,Z3 etc..</font>
Go to www.zainobros.com for a good explaination of thier products.

Just got through putting on some Z6 and more Z5. Waiting for it to dry now so I'm taking a break. Will post some pics soon.

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi -
Pioneer 1665
Helm Electrical
Zaino

·
Registered
18 Posts
EricVic,

I recently learned from another forum full of very learned car care enthusiasts that
Z-5 is technically not a polish per se, it is a very thin filler that also has terrific optical properties. In fact, some folks say they are putting multiple coats of Z-5 (up to 4 or 5) and getting a deeper shine each time, in addition to its filling properties for minor scratches. They also suggest a final top 1 or 2 coats of Z-2 that has even higher optical properties. To further enhance the depth of shine, use Z-6 between coats, either after wiping off the coat, or immediately preceding application of the next coat.

Good Luck.
-Doug-

(If Z-5 doesn't completely remove the scratches you may want to try 3M Finesse It.)

[This message has been edited by KCDoug (edited 09-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KCDoug (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug,

I have been using Z6 between coats for the higher shine and the fact that I have to park outside 24/7 and I want to get the dust off. I think that I'm just going to go with Z2 on my next coat because besides the self-inflicted scratches there are no swirl marks and the Z5 in not covering up the scratches.

Would you happen to know if I have to strip the Zaino off the scratches before I can use 3M Finesse It? And if so how would I go about stripping the Zaino off?

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi -
Pioneer 1665
Helm Electrical
Zaino

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ericVic:

Would you happen to know if I have to strip the Zaino off the scratches before I can use 3M Finesse It? And if so how would I go about stripping the Zaino off?

Eric

</font>
Hi, Eric. It's kinda hard to tell without seeing the damage to your paint, so this is just a guess, but it sounds like it may be a little too much damage for something like the 3M. It sounds like a good candidate for wet sanding and polishing. Again, just guessing, but think I'd show it to a body man to get advice rather than just starting to try doing a few different things to it.

If the scratches are a bit too deep for 3M, but not through the paint, miracles can be done with an experienced hand and some wet sandpaper and then the polish or glaze.

For a few dollars, they should be able to make it invisible. I had some spots touched up and was amazed at the results.

BTW, if any of the above needs to be done, you don't need to worry about removing the Zaino. It'll just be removed in the process of repairing the abrasions.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck,

I was thinking about taking it to a body man to get it looked at. The scratches don't go through the paint but are not just light scratches either. I can do a bunch of things myself (and prefer to) but I'm not a painter so I figured that I should get a professional to look at it. I've heard some of the stories about people taking their car ion to get it detailed and it coming back in horrible shape so I'm a bit jumpy about letting anyone else touch my Ody.

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi -
Pioneer 1665
Helm Electrical
Zaino

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm afraid that my experience is more limited when it comes to your situation. However, I frequent www.autopia-carport.com where there are several car care enthusiasts with expertise that can help you out. I've seen a couple of recent posts about swirls and scratches; my impression is that folks are generally happy with the results achieved from the advice they receive.

You are wise to be concerned about going to a shop - several horror stories have been posted. Also saw a reply today to someone looking for a shop reference - someone posted a response suggesting this web site to look for a certified detailer: http://www.autoint.com/trusted_professional_detailers.htm

You might spend some time at autopia for your problem.

Best of luck.
-Doug-

[This message has been edited by KCDoug (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ericVic:
Chuck,

I was thinking about taking it to a body man to get it looked at. The scratches don't go through the paint but are not just light scratches either. I can do a bunch of things myself (and prefer to) but I'm not a painter so I figured that I should get a professional to look at it. I've heard some of the stories about people taking their car ion to get it detailed and it coming back in horrible shape so I'm a bit jumpy about letting anyone else touch my Ody.

Eric

</font>
If it isn't through the paint you should be able to fix it without painting.

I put some deep scratches in my front bumper with my floor jack (@#$##$%&*##@) and took it to the shop where I've had other body work done on our cars. He showed me how to build up the level of the paint and then wet sand and polish the area. You can see where the paint was touched up to fill the scratch, but you CAN"T see where it was polished and glazed, so in a case like yours where the paint wasn't scratched down to the prime the finish should be able to be restored to just about perfect.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts