Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 ex-l that we bought last week with 44k miles on it to replace our 01 with 193k on it :) great car.. except for a day ago we noticed the leather starting to flake on all the seats - almost like it had dried out and the "color" is peeling off - or its like when you wax something and then buff it off. You can take your fingernail and lightly scratch at it and it comes off.

See the attached pics.. very strange.. even at 193k on the old ody, the leather was still in good shape. I want to get some opinions before I head to the dealer.

thanks

P1020337.jpg P1020338.jpg P1020339.jpg P1020340.jpg

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow, that's pretty bad. Seems like they washed it with some really strong product and killed the interior. Did you buy it from a dealer? I'd most definitly to back and have them replace the seat covers.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've never seen anything like that.. Are those olive? My last van had the same color seats.

Dealer detail guy might have put some serious chemicals on those seats to cause that. Take it back!!

let us know what happens.

P

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yea, if it was a dealer, take it back.

It looks like they were spray painted with leather dye, probably to cover some stains.
If you prep it right, the dye/paint will last. If not, that's what happens. If not bought at a dealer,
then try an automotive shop that does leather repairs. They could probably fix it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a quick update - its certified used from a honda dealer - about 20 miles from my house. So far, the salesman has not called me back. I called him on sunday with no response yet. I will start to pester him more today. I have a honda dealer about 10 minutes away (would have bought from them but they didnt have stock) and on Monday we just happened to be driving by so I stopped in. They basically said what you all have said - wasnt prepped right and unless Honda authorized it they could not do it as warranty. I understand their position. My next step (assuming the dealer doesn't want to play ball) is to call Honda directly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had this happen on my '07 when it was still within the 3yr/36K warranty. It happened on the seat bottom (not the backrest) and it was on the side near where the seat controls are (not where your but sits). They replaced the entire leather cover on the seat bottom under warranty. Initially though the service tech (the guy you speak to) said they wouldn't do it because it was wear and tear. Then I escalated with Honda Care, and the service manager made it happen.
Bottom line, if you're not getting any traction with the guy at the desk at the dealer, then call Honda Care and complain. Your case will get noticed, fast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the dealer got back to me and I am taking it to his "leather" guy on wednesday.. he claims they can "fix it" - I of course am skeptical - when I asked him what they were going to do if it didnt work - his response was we will cross that bridge when we come to it. My question for the group - is it worth calling Honda to get the ball rolling for "when" the dealer drops the ball? I have never contact honda america, so I am not sure how they handle things.

thanks

jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
Give them a chance to fix it first. If you get Honda involved at this point, it's just going to tick the dealer off and lessen their desire to help you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fixing it involves re-dying it, which is what looks like it has had done to it before, just not properly. When you take it to the leather guy find out how long the warranty on the job it and ask what exactly he is going to do to fix it. If you aren't satisfied with the answers then talk to the dealer again and escalte to American Honda if needed. I would give them a shot at it first though as a good re-dye job can last years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a quick update.. go to the dealer today and they start to prep it.. and guess what.. the "leather expert" gets into a car wreck.. so no love for me other than more flaking leather. Service tech did assure me that it can be fixed.. then he proceeds to tell me its not real leather - just a vinyl / leather mix. Whats up with that? Any truth to that? I know honda has cheapened the leather down, but selling leather as vinyl? So now I need to wait another week and take it back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one week later and no one got in any car wrecks - it was redyed.. looks great.. and hasn't flaked off yet.. I am still skeptical and hopefully can still report good results after a few days. Warranty is 1 year. But - if it does it again, then I am going to ask for (demand) new seat covers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the crappy phone pics - will try to get better ones this weekend with natural light and a real camera.. so far so good.. but.. I am

IMG_20120203_065355.jpg IMG_20120203_065432.jpg IMG_20120203_065425.jpg IMG_20120203_065426.jpg IMG_20120203_065409.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well crap.. that didnt last long. started flaking again.. Put a call and email into the dealer yesterday - said wanted seat covers replaced. If they dont want to play ball, I guess I will call honda - whats the best number? 1-800-999-1009?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its been a few months and its been a heck of a ride - So after they started to flake again, I called the dealer and they said, "well bring it in and we will fix it yet again" - my response was - no, you have had three chances and each time its lasted a few weeks and then it turned to crap again. They didn't want to budge, so I called Honda - by the next day they changed their tune.. So I take it in for them to get the exact color and part specs and the service manager says, we will replace all the seats.. I think to myself, alright! Finally good customer service! So I take it in the next week and they "replace" the seats.. I grab my keys and paper work and head out to the car.. give it a quick once over and think to myself.. somethings not right. But its late and all the service techs and managers were gone.

I get home and read the paper work - they redyed it again! WTF!! It says in their comments - we think we did it right this time. Are you kidding me. Needless to say, another call to Honda, and this time I start to get the run around. Well sir, this is a dealer item and there's nothing corporate can do. I said - how about a little good will - nope, I said, well 11 years and 6 Honda's, I guess you all had a good ride with us, time to move on. That didn't even work. Honda kept blaming the dealer saying it was their issue.

I got a hold of the dealer and basically said, make this right or I will make it my personal campaign to explain what has happened to everyone that I talk to. I did not think I was being unreasonable. This was a certified used car with a 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (I know the seats are excluded) and the original flaking started the day after we took it off the lot. That's what made me mad - if the seats were flaking we would not have bought it. Plus its certified used.. I have no problem eating it myself if it wasn't certified but it was, and I made them aware of the problem within 24 hours of taking possession. After pestering them non stop for 2 days, they finally said ok, we will do the right thing.

They did and the new seats are awesome.. one month later and no flaking! The dealership apologized and admitted they should have replaced the seats the first time with no questions asked. Hopefully my ordeal will make it easier for the next person!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Odyssey with grey seats and the seats are all cracked and parts of the leather is actually coming off. I am thinking about recovering them but have not found a decent source for leather seat covers.
I am located in Houston. Has anyone done this, and if so where did you find the replacement covers? I only need the two front seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts