Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on the highway and the engine wasn't fully warmed. Maybe 5 minutes of driving in -15'c weather. Floored it onto the highway up to 100kph then right after I got a flashing cel and the engine was sluggish after that with odd vibration from the engine like it was running on 5 cylinders, unbalanced.

After that happened I took it easy about 10 minutes to my destination. I turned off the engine for 1 minute and then started it back up. No cel and runs fine.

Did something come loose? Is a sensor dirty? A coil pack old? Spark plug no good?

With it going back to normal after turning off and on the engine it must mean something specific? Anyone know? Thanks!

Van: 2009 EXL with vcm muzzler installed last year when I bought it. Only changed oil. Haven't touched spark plugs or anything else. 195k km on Odo. Timing belt and all maintenance was done at dealership prior to my ownership last year. Also. I hear a loud howling on startup in super cold weather like -20c.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Most likely there is a pending CEL/code. Do you have a scanner or can get the code read? That would be the first and fastest thing. It normally takes certain drive cycles or internal count before the CEL is solid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one of those cheap Bluetooth obd2 scanners. But from those symptoms what do you think it could be? I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Flashing CEL usually means something bad like misfires... either a coil or coils and spark plugs may be bad. But best thing is to get the codes read.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
You never told us your mileage. It may be time for new spark plugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right it's at 195k kms. Maintenance was done at dealership before I bought it. Full Carfax records show. Timing belt also done.

Also, I hear a loud howling noise on startup in super cold weather like -25c

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went out for another drive and drove the same route. I also tried to give irregular throttle inputs like flooring it randomly and hard accelerations. Nothing at all... So weird.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Ham, first things are different in Canada than in the lower 48 states.

Second, when you floored the car, you made it harder for a marginal plug/coil combo to jump the gap, aka fire the spark plug. The computer sensed the misfire and shut down the cylinder or cylinders.

When you shut off the car and restarted, the computer allowed the cylinder to fire again. If another misfire situation was sensed, it would have shut it down again, which it hasn't.

If this happens again, pull over, shut off car and restart. Just like magic, your car will now run fine, unless you have a continuing misfire. The check engine light will clear after a few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ham, first things are different in Canada than in the lower 48 states.

Second, when you floored the car, you made it harder for a marginal plug/coil combo to jump the gap, aka fire the spark plug. The computer sensed the misfire and shut down the cylinder or cylinders.

When you shut off the car and restarted, the computer allowed the cylinder to fire again. If another misfire situation was sensed, it would have shut it down again, which it hasn't.

If this happens again, pull over, shut off car and restart. Just like magic, your car will now run fine, unless you have a continuing misfire. The check engine light will clear after a few days.
So nothing to worry about? I'm thinking of changing all the plugs and coils

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
So nothing to worry about? I'm thinking of changing all the plugs and coils
At your mileage, it's definitely time to replace the plugs if they haven't been replaced before. I wouldn't replace the coils until you know for sure there's an issue with them.

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
At your mileage, it's definitely time to replace the plugs if they haven't been replaced before. I wouldn't replace the coils until you know for sure there's an issue with them.
I told them the same in their other thread.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your oil level. If it is low, the VCM solenoid will not function correctly, and the symptoms are like you describe.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just ran the ELM obd2 scanner tool. No DTCs....
The various things you have written do not jibe. A flashing CEL should have set a code. Even if the error resolved, it should be in history, unless you cleared or disconnected power. Or, your reader only does current codes. If that's the case, get a better (but still inexpensive) tool or find a store or friend who has one.

All the things you listed could cause the error. You're in a better position than any of us to speculate. I'm guessing you are gonna' find one or more P03xx codes stored. Hopefully, it's a single one in the 301-306 range. But that's your starting point .... retrieve the code.

I think the vehicle MAY clear a non-recurring code from history after a good number of engine cycles. North of 50, IIRC, but don't count on it. Scan it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll do this right away
Check your oil level. If it is low, the VCM solenoid will not function correctly, and the symptoms are like you describe.
Hey you were right. My oil level was low. The oil level didn't even show in the dipstick. I had to add about 2L of oil before it was up to the full level on the dipstick. Is the j35 engine known to burn oil? I only had the van since 1 year ago and I changed the oil in October last year and I simply put in the required 4.xx L of oil from the oil level window of the oil jug. I didn't check the dipstick. Does the Odyssey take more than 4.xxL of oil? I checked the coolant and it looks fine. I do notice a slight burning smell after driving.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hey you were right. My oil level was low. The oil level didn't even show in the dipstick. I had to add about 2L of oil before it was up to the full level on the dipstick. Is the j35 engine known to burn oil? I only had the van since 1 year ago and I changed the oil in October last year and I simply put in the required 4.xx L of oil from the oil level window of the oil jug. I didn't check the dipstick. Does the Odyssey take more than 4.xxL of oil? I checked the coolant and it looks fine. I do notice a slight burning smell after driving.
Wow - you need to pay more attention to your vehicle - especially oil changes and oil level. (I check my oil level with the dipstick at least once a week.) Did adding the proper amount of oil resolve your issue?

I am glad you muzzled your VCM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow - you need to pay more attention to your vehicle - especially oil changes and oil level. (I check my oil level with the dipstick at least once a week.) Did adding the proper amount of oil resolve your issue?

I am glad you muzzled your VCM.
I definitely put the proper amount of oil into the engine when I did the oil change. The jug was almost empty, a 5L just with about .5L remaining.

Only thing I can think of is that it is burning oil. theres no oil in the coolant. Do these engines burn oil? I have a 8th gen civic si k20z3 and when I hit vtec it burns some oil which is normal. J35 also burns oil in VTEC?

The Flashing CEL and misfire/cylinder shutdown only came up when it was -15'C and engine wasnt warmed up when I floored it. Since that one time it never happened again. I havent drove it since I added more oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts